Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycleops Hammer and Trainer Road
Quote | Reply
So I finally got my Hammer set up and did a ride on TR, Petit to be exact. Easy recovery ride. I was very disappointed with how the Hammer handled the ride. It wouldn’t keep a constant resistance. For example for one segment it was 152 watts and the Hammer would vary between 135 and 175. Also, I had to shift gears on one segment to get enough resistance which I thought the trainer was supposed to do itself. I was hoping the trainer would be more precise and keep the resistance better. Did I have unrealistic expectations? Definitely not impressed with smart trainers if this how they are supposed to work. I had TR set to let my Quarq control the Hammer, and I updated the Hammers firmware before using.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Hammer and Trainer Road [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think it may be powermatch that you're disappointed with. I've used powermatch with a powertap wheel and kickr snap and i had some big shifts. I have the hammer (no other power meter) and it works flawlessly with trainerroad, I'm fairly confident that the hammer is consistent and pretty accurate on its own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Rouvy with my Hammer and resistance is constant at any fixed wattage during a workout. The only thing that is perhaps off is that it takes me significantly longer to ride a virtual course than it does the actual thing, but harder training is better, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
So I finally got my Hammer set up and did a ride on TR, Petit to be exact. Easy recovery ride. I was very disappointed with how the Hammer handled the ride. It wouldn’t keep a constant resistance. For example for one segment it was 152 watts and the Hammer would vary between 135 and 175. Also, I had to shift gears on one segment to get enough resistance which I thought the trainer was supposed to do itself. I was hoping the trainer would be more precise and keep the resistance better. Did I have unrealistic expectations? Definitely not impressed with smart trainers if this how they are supposed to work. I had TR set to let my Quarq control the Hammer, and I updated the Hammers firmware before using.

did you upload firmware and calibrate?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Hammer and Trainer Road [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on a related note, i can't calibrate my unit at all. My edge 520 says temperature not reached. Haven't been able to calibrate it once since I got it
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Hammer and Trainer Road [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

did you upload firmware and calibrate?

Yes. I guess I’ll try it with power match off, hopefully works better and is close to my Quarq power numbers so I don’t have to have two FTPs.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply