Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycle buddy in Munich
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping that someone from the German contingent that's here might be able to help me. I just moved to Munich (arrived yesterday) and I was looking to find someone (or a group) to ride with. Any leads would be muchly appreciated.

My German isn't great yet...it's still a work in progress.

Thanks.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle buddy in Munich [ilovemyfootball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi I'm a relocated Canadian and I spend my summers about 130km to the west in Ulm where I do most of my racing too. From a google search I found this link . Each point on the map is a cycling club so maybe that could be of use as you can find the closest one to your exact location. I'm sure you'll have a great time as the number of bike paths and country roads and so on in Germany is truly astounding. I'm sure most of the people in the clubs will speak English, especially since it's in Munich. Are you also a triathlete or just a cyclist? There's tons of races in the south in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg. Every state (Bundesland) has its own triathlon league Baden-Württemberg for example has a three-tier system with eventual promotion to the Bundesliga where guys like Frodeno compete. Sports clubs (Vereine) are a huge part of German culture so joining one would be a great way to find new friends.

Also just out of curiosity how long are you going to be living in Germany for?

P.S. my biggest tip for learning German is watch TV and listen to the radio
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love to hear how you managed to get over there. Student or did you find a 'real' job? I'm interested because I like to idea of moving there myself. I've been studying German for 2 years.

I'd like to hear about your progress there as well over time. Take it to the Lavender Room!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony, why not find a local bike shop and ask them? Here is a list of bike shops in Munich.

http://www.fahrrad-kaufen.com/...ategory-fahrrad.html

Most Germans speak English, so communication shouldn't be a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I am not located in Bayern, but have been living in various places in Germany for a number of years. Regarding riding or training groups, as has already been mentioned, there are a great number cycling and triathlon clubs (Vereine) in each "state". The clubs usually encompass more than just triathlon, but often have a triathlon "division". If you join the club, then you can apply for a German competition/race license. As such, you shouldn't have any problem finding people to ride or generally speaking train with. And while many Germans do indeed speak some English (and are generally interested in practicing their English), any attempts on your part to speak German will be appreciated - especially if you can incorporate some of the regional expressions into your German. Here is a list of clubs that I found on the Bayerischer Triathlon website located in or around München. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to write.
Ciao
P.S. The Germans take triathlon very seriously. In other words, it is less about "being there, and enjoying the experience", but more about "improving one's performance".

Triceps München80335MünchenASC Alpina München80805MünchenRSV Sturmvogel München81829MünchenSC Prinz Eugen81927MünchenExathlon Sport Club München80809MünchenMTV 1879 München e.V.
Erster Münchner Schwimmclub81737MünchenHVB Club München80538MünchenUSC München80809MünchenTSV 1860 München e.V.81479MünchenTriTeam PSV-UniBW München81549MünchenMSV München81671MünchenMRRC München80637MünchenBSG Stadtsparkasse München81549MünchenRV Sturmvogel München81829MünchenForstenrieder SC81475MünchenWasserfreunde Pullach81479MünchenSV Osram e.V.81536München
Last edited by: Flemish Arrow: May 20, 14 15:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an awesome bike shop in Garmisch but I forgot the name of the owner and cannot find the website. Anyhow, he grew up as a cyclist in East Germany, apparently was on the Olympic track but wasn't quite politically correct enough for the Communist party. He got in to selling photos from motorcycle races and eventually escaped across the border into Austria. The Austrian authorities took all his money but he was free. Unfortunately, the wall came down about two years later and he would have been able to keep his life savings. Point is, I learned all this on his Sunday shop ride (and over the mandatory Weisbier stop). It's about an hour and a half from Munich--worth the drive for a Sunday ride. I will try to find the name of the shop again. He rented me a Cervelo S5 with magic Cosmic Carbones--sweet ride for a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I've got a couple of emails out and we'll see what happens.

Long story short...My wife and I decided to take a year off from life. We sold our condo in Vancouver, got visas* and moved to Germany. We did six months in the north (Berlin and Dusseldorf) and now following that up with six months in Munich.

*if you're Canadian and want to come to Europe, Germany has a youth visa arrangement with Canada. For some bizarre reason, a youth lasts until 35! Gives you the ability to work over here (which I haven't used yet) and stay for a year. Good times for all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taking a year off sounds like a great idea. I really enjoy going up to Berlin - it is the only major metropole in Germany. I lived very close to Düsseldorf, so I will always have a soft spot for NRW. Enjoy your time (and the summer weather) in München. Also, if you get a chance, I would go visit both Austria and Switzerland. You might even have time to register for the 5150 or 70.3 in Zürich (not to mention many other grueling triathlons there).
Ciao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

I will be in Munich from July 1st (give or take a few days). I will be very interested in hearing about your findings and go on rides.
Signed up for a few 70.3 in the area so I need to 'hit the road biking'...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend and athlete that lives about a 10-15min walk south of the Oktoberfest grounds. Let me know if I can put you two together.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle buddy in Munich [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

I would love to meet up with him - you can send me his info on Rasmusporsgaard @ hotmail [dot] com.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello. I've just moved to Germany a couple of months ago for job reasons (I'm Spanish, my girlfriend is Dutch).
I'm starting to train for Ironman Nice 2015 -I've done it in 2009-, but starting really slow since I didn't do much for the last 3 years. I'm frequently running alongside the Isar starting from Theresienwiese. If you ever fancy a run don't hesitate to contact me. Cheers.
Quote Reply