Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CycleOps Virtual Training vs. TrainerRoad
Quote | Reply
Ok, I did a search for this topic and did not find too much, although as usual Ray's review was very useful.

I've been using TrainerRoad for about a year very happily with my Fluid2 trainer, PowerTap, and the usual Garmin speed/cadence and heartrate monitors. I like to think I made a lot of progress on my FTP and overall endurance over last winter as a result of using their training programs.

I just won a year subscription to CycleOps Virtual training software, and after installing it on my PC and getting the ANT sensors to work, was trying to see if there was any real advantage vs. TrainerRoad. I like the videos and other eye candy of VT, but it really seems lacking in terms of structured plans and even workouts.

Has anybody else been using the CycleOps training software happily? Any reason you prefer it to TrainerRoad or any of the other packages?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: CycleOps Virtual Training vs. TrainerRoad [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I test all of the trainer software and they all have pluses and minuses. I obviously like TR, it's super easy to use and effective (as you know). You can get a lot of the same type of workouts on VT it is just a little more work. With VT you get extras like videos and simulated courses (... kind of) , and can do erg workouts (if you want to spend time you can import erg workouts via XML additions in the right file unless they have added erg/xml imports this year). For me personally I like TR because I want a workout to be a workout. I bring it up and it tells me (forces me) to do certain power targets then I'm done. I am a big fan of cyclops and think they will do a lot with their software it just ends up coming down to training style and user preference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Has anybody else been using the CycleOps training software happily?

I used it last year. It was entertaining. There's a way to create structured workouts, but it was kind of weird and I never used it. I have a fluid trainer so I was sending my power data via the ant+ stick so I just rode courses and did my own structured workouts. I tried a couple of the races, but had some problems getting those to work.

I guess they've made a lot of upgrades so maybe it's a little better this year. I don't know if I'll sign up again this year. I usually just listen to Spotify on the trainer and do my own workouts so while the courses are pretty cool I don't really need them for entertainment and get tired of setting it up before every ride. I've never used Trainer Road so I can't compare the two. My understanding is that Training Road is a lot better for structured workouts so if that's what you prefer you'll probably like TR better.
Quote Reply
Re: CycleOps Virtual Training vs. TrainerRoad [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments. I did the install last night and gave VT a stab this morning. There is going to be a learning curve, but after a bit of playing around I'll probably stick w/ TR, but keep the CycleOps software installed to break things up during the winter.

A few observations:
  1. My training interest (right now) is not weighted towards the videos. I've enjoyed the simplicity of the TR workout with the power target as my goal and I found the videos interesting, but not a significant value add. Maybe with a smart trainer (not my Fluid2 + PowerTap) the interactivity would be a whole other step up.
  2. VT requires a bit more foresight: I had to let the system download ~1 GB of files overnight before giving one of the rides a go. Once it was installed, it worked fine, but it is different than some of the some of my off-season mornings where I root around in TR and find a workout that looks interesting and start to ride it 15 seconds later.
  3. I played around with one of the SufferFest workouts on VT that is also on TR (A very dark place). I'd say that the graphics on VT are more elaborate, but the simplicity of the TR screen + the sound alerts (and the 12 months of using it) are better aligned with my needs. I am a data junkie, but for a good trainer workout, I'm really just fixated on power, cadence, and HR (and of course, how much !@#!#$ time is left in the current interval).

I'll keep playing around with it, as time allows, but those are some initial impressions.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got set up with CycleOps Powerbeam Pro and the VT software. Generally like it but am waiting to be added to the Zwift beta - please guys, let me in! After having ridden a dumb trainer mindlessly in my pain cave for years, the trainer modern age is pretty cool. (power metrics, videos, courses, structured workouts, potential for online racing)

The VT courses can be streamed rather than fully downloaded so that will save some workout prep time. I've been streaming the courses and, so far, it has been good enough. VT software has locked up twice in 2 weeks mid-workout (w/ streaming) so will keep an eye on that. As you said, having to download mega-files will be a bit of a pain in the ass.

My VT workouts upload seamlessly to my VT account and the group/social aspects are pretty cool. VT, being Euro-based, has lots of interesting European courses to ride. At some point this winter I will attempt Alp Duez and Mt. Ventoux.

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used TR since Beta, but tried VT for about a month last year.

At the time, I felt like the VT software was somewhat of a mess. It seemed too difficult for me to just launch the thing and get running. The idea of a course with videos was neat, but I was using it on a Kurt Road Machine w/ PowerTap so perhaps I didn't get the full experience that those with a CT, Kickr or Powerbeam may have.

I liked the simple, yet better looking GUI of TR and the forced intervals vs easy. When I tried to do a "virtual course" I found I did benefit by a much longer interval (I tend to do ~20 minute intervals at the longest on TR, but when racing a course... the whole ride was an interval!).

I did not renew my VT membership after the month, and have continued my TR membership.

As an aside...
I do, however, wish that TR had a better multi-user (same room) solution as well as some kind of online racing or interesting group ride feature(s). Just some way to get some additional motivation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a variety of software tools for the trainer. While I haven't used this specific setup, your question in general could be phrased around whether it is better to ride in virtual environments or use structured sets. I use both, primarily with Racermate One for structured stuff and Tour de Giro for virtual/3d terrain riding. When I want to do specific things, like 5 min vo2max, 2x20 sub threshold, over/under intervals and so on, I use the structured modes because the virtual terrain makes it harder to hold to the plan when I'm shifting to react to gradient changes in the virtual world. But all work and no play makes me dull, so I mix in virtual terrain riding for variety. Put another way, the structured stuff is good for the body and the virtual stuff is a bit of relief from staring at the watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, its possible you got my prize! CycleOps reached out to me and offered me that prize but I turned it down for the same reasons mentioned in this thread. First, I have a dumb trainer, second, I'm a Mac user and VT only works on Windows PCs, third, I didn't want to have to buy the ANT+ adapter for my iPad.

I already use TR and a dumb trainer. I think VT would be great if you have a smart trainer, such as the PowerBeam Pro, but pretty useless otherwise. With a smart trainer, I see a ton of value with riding real courses. I signed up for IM Boulder next year and would love to be able to ride the course (and being in Chicago, doing some virtual climbing).

Hoping to wind the grand prize though! Hell, I'd settle for second prize, the PowerBeam Pro is what I really want! The rest is just icing on the cake.
Quote Reply
Re: CycleOps Virtual Training vs. TrainerRoad [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep - the VT is the daily prize (and I'm hoping for the grand prize as well!) from CycleOps. Ditto on not dropping $ on the ANT adapter for the iPad for my basic setup. This was a zero-cost way to get the prize working.

I actually ran VT on my Mac in the dual-boot mode as a PC, and it runs just fine, and I actually put TR on the PC side of the Mac as well so I did not have to re-boot to switch between them. It worked this morning just fine, enough for me to get a flavor of it. It does not look like they have upgraded it since DCR's review, which is a little disappointing, and there are a lot of relics of odd english or maybe Polish words that pop up in the interface. TR wins this hands down. I'd really like to see CycleOps do a much needed revision to the interface.

The point that was made regarding the intent is spot on: I like a structured workout a lot vs. the virtual rides, and tend to use the TR time to get caught up on the DVR - with a 2 year old at home, the only chance I get to watch TV is on the trainer at 5:30 in the morning! If I had a different setup, such as the Kickr or Computrainer, I think that the virtual courses would have some added appeal.

I'll give VT a few more rides and see if I warm up to it. Maybe i'll just have to get the wife to approve the Kickr purchase for the holidays before my training starts in earnest for 2015!

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply