Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Custom foot bed for cycling shoes, more power?
Quote | Reply
So while getting a bike fit the fitter said that with a good quality custom foot bed (orthotic) that supports the arch of the foot really well that you are able to deliver more power to your pedaling stroke.

Anyone know if this is actually true or not?
Quote Reply
Re: Custom foot bed for cycling shoes, more power? [rp87ebw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends (at least) on how well your current insole fits the contour of your foot.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom foot bed for cycling shoes, more power? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the inserts that came with the shoe which are just cheep flat things. Have to say that basically my arch is unsupported.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have high or low arches? Are they the same in both feet?
Quote Reply
Re: Custom foot bed for cycling shoes, more power? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not really high but high and both the same
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rp87ebw wrote:
So while getting a bike fit the fitter said that with a good quality custom foot bed (orthotic) that supports the arch of the foot really well that you are able to deliver more power to your pedaling stroke.

Anyone know if this is actually true or not?

If you're feet are comfortable it won't make any difference. If they hurt enough to bother your concentration then you probably will be better off with at least some form of inserts. Even the cheap "cookies" the running shoe stop has on hand might be just fine. No need to spend $$$$$$$$ unless you feet are really a huge mess.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A custom footbed will lend comfort, not power. If you aren't having comfort issues.....

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they help your alignment, then yes.
If they do not, then no.

Part of my job is to investigate changes like this. Sometimes the changes are profound.

Hard to say if they will help you or not.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: May 22, 15 19:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a very high, very dynamic arch.
I have measured the movements as part of my research and mine was generally the most dynamic I have come across with a deflection of over 1cm (average 0.6mm).

As a result I used to get knee pain on the bike as my arch would drop inwards due to the slow power application.
Normal insoles weren't good enough, they just weren't the right shape.
So I made my own with a type of cavity foam. So I sprayed the foam in the footbed, waited till it started to harden, then stood on it.
Perfect! Cost about £5.
Quote Reply