Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Custom Carbon Cross Brace for Pro Missile Evo bars
Quote | Reply
Looking to either buy/cut/drill or have a carbon cross brace custom made for my pro missile evo bars. I know there are some companies that make these to add stiffness to the bars but I'd like to have a cross brace for a different purpose...

I'd like to keep the extensions at the narrow setup but have my pad width about 240mm center to center. With a narrow setup I can only get a width of 150mm or so. For a sprint/olympic race I can handle that but for longer rides it gets uncomfortable. I was thinking of buying a smaller sized sheet of carbon and making my own cross brace. I'd cut it to size/shape, drill holes to mount it to the extensions (where the pads would normally mount), then drill additional holes and epoxy in some bosses to mount the pads at each end of the brace.

Has anyone done something like this? What kind of carbon sheet would I need to be strong enough to support the load of a rider (i'm 6'0" 180 lbs) when in aero? Is there a way to get bosses in the sheet that would handle bolts torqued to 4 or 5nm - or enough to hold the armpads in place?

I ride a Shiv so its either that, new bars, or I switch back to the stock aluminum ones.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Carbon Cross Brace for Pro Missile Evo bars [palmdoggSAE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to ask the obvious question, but why wouldn't you just move the extensions to the wide setting to get the pad width you're looking for? Your idea seems like an overly complicated way to get to a position the bars are already able to accommodate.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Carbon Cross Brace for Pro Missile Evo bars [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have them at the wide setting right now, while it works for the pad width, I'd rather have my hands closer than what it gives you. The wider extension setting also doesn't work for my bta mount/computer mount.

So I either need to do something for those or do something for the pads. My preference is to keep the extensions at the narrow setting.
Quote Reply