Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts. I currently have a felt ar5 as my road bike with some upgraded components to ultegra. I've always been very infatuated with the older Scott foil pre 2016. I bought the felt as a all Purpose bike because of the reversible seatpost but ended up purchasing a P3 anyways. Wife has told me if I want another bike I need to get rid of one and I'm wondering would it be silly to ditch the felt AR to get an old Scott foil? I have never ridden one I just think they're sexy bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No answer to your question, but give it time and you will have 10 other possible bikes on your list.
I got the go ahead to replace my old Cervelo S2 and "thought" I had it dialed down to the Canyon Ultimate......but I have had around 10 other bike choices added to that list in some fashion or another (It's no simple task) and truly don't think I'll be able to make a choice where I am 100% certain. I think I'm going to hold off on my purchase for a while and just start test riding some bikes when I have the oppostunity and see where that goes.

Good Luck!

Fishbum wrote:
I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts. I currently have a felt ar5 as my road bike with some upgraded components to ultegra. I've always been very infatuated with the older Scott foil pre 2016. I bought the felt as a all Purpose bike because of the reversible seatpost but ended up purchasing a P3 anyways. Wife has told me if I want another bike I need to get rid of one and I'm wondering would it be silly to ditch the felt AR to get an old Scott foil? I have never ridden one I just think they're sexy bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends. The Scott will definitely be slower unless you ride/race where weight really matters. Maybe ask yourself what the Scott does better? I think you decided you like the looks, but I can't think of any other category where you would conclude that the Scott would really excel against the Felt.

My plan of action would be to convince the wife that you really NEED a spare road bike because if something breaks on the Felt (or it gets a flat, or ...) you really need to be able to grab a spare. Or maybe you should work the angle that you can get a deal on this old bike and if, God forbid, something happened to the Felt you would be forced to pay full retail for a shiny new replacement. Or convince her that you need an aero road bike for some situations and a weight weenie bike for climbing. Then you can spend a fortune on really light stuff. Or convince her you are saving money because you were thinking of taking up CX racing and that would require 2 new bikes. The list of excuses is endless.

I guess I am basically saying that I don't see a logical reason to switch, but if it makes you happy then go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Psychological warfare definitely my best route
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have a real hard time considering any road bike over a Felt AR, as it just does everything so well. Takes a 28 tire with ease, great geo, stiff in all the right ways, and not that heavy when you consider the whole system. The only niggle is that damn BB mounted rear brake, but I hope to solve that on my rig with an EE.

I've never ridden a Foil or Scott for that matter, but I doubt it's going to do anything better than the AR. As far as looks, well, that's subjective for sure. However, if you like riding the Felt and don't mind looking at it then a change does sound silly.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't think of any good reason to replace the Felt with the Scott. Surely the Felt AR is aerodynamically superior. The Scott has a reputation for riding a bit harsh although I don't put much stock in that. The only reason to change is because you got it in your head once that the Scott Foil was nice. It's an illusion!

If you want it, can't ditch the desire, and have the option, go ahead. But, I don't think you'll be able to find any rational justification!
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This too is an illusion.
It's not such a hard task unless you pretend there IS a correct answer. And it's very hard not to. I went through several iterations before finally deciding on my last road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The aero difference between the AR and Foil is negligible. People forget the older Foil performs really well in the wind tunnel but since it doesn’t have aero shaping it gets judged as being less aero. It’s not.

I owned and raced this older Foil a few years ago and it was a stellar bike. I’ve owned almost 20 high end road bikes and the Foil was for me the best performing bike of them all (Tarmac, S2/3, AC1, TCR SL).
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
The only niggle is that damn BB mounted rear brake, but I hope to solve that on my rig with an EE.

But then there is this solution:

Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new foil just doesn't have that wow factor for me ( personally ) that the old one did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the AR5 and replaced it w the Foil after car crash. Liked the ar for sure but like the Foil so much more. 2016 premium version.

I like climbing w it a lot better and feels just as fast/faster on flats.

Same fit on both (well a bit more reach on the Foil).
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you like the foil? Considering a very lightly used 18 foil 20 disc. It’s the foil or an AR3. Both used but a killer deal on the Foil.

Using mainly for 2-3 oly distance tris and weekend rides.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Depends. The Scott will definitely be slower unless you ride/race where weight really matters. Maybe ask yourself what the Scott does better? I think you decided you like the looks, but I can't think of any other category where you would conclude that the Scott would really excel against the Felt.

My plan of action would be to convince the wife that you really NEED a spare road bike because if something breaks on the Felt (or it gets a flat, or ...) you really need to be able to grab a spare. Or maybe you should work the angle that you can get a deal on this old bike and if, God forbid, something happened to the Felt you would be forced to pay full retail for a shiny new replacement. Or convince her that you need an aero road bike for some situations and a weight weenie bike for climbing. Then you can spend a fortune on really light stuff. Or convince her you are saving money because you were thinking of taking up CX racing and that would require 2 new bikes. The list of excuses is endless.

I guess I am basically saying that I don't see a logical reason to switch, but if it makes you happy then go for it.

Or get one in a similar colour, and hope she does not notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
The new foil just doesn't have that wow factor for me ( personally ) that the old one did.

It is all opinion, but i think the “new” foil, and felt ar are two of the sexiest bikes around. Integrate those cables and they are on trend.

The felt ar has been uci certified this year... so expect gen 3 to arrive this summer. It will either be the time for me to get a new road bike, or to get a deal on the old ar.

Felt is all over aero, so i expect it will be a top performer. But peak aero is here. Tour had 3w between the supersix and felt (2014 design). The foil was 11w off. Intervrate front end on the felt will bring it up with the top at minimum.

Until then, i have this 13lbs beast!

Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Apr 23, 19 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [heftesmurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So i'm not using mine in a tri bike nor am i using disc brakes but I love the foil over the AR. Couldn't tell you why exactly but so glad I am on that bike compared to the AR. Just feels better - which is beyond my expertise but related to geometry? Its lighter but kinda apples and oranges compared to build and frame level. Feels more responsive, just as fast but like climbing better with it.

all pretty subjective but i'm sticking with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Had the AR5 and replaced it w the Foil after car crash. Liked the ar for sure but like the Foil so much more. 2016 premium version.

I like climbing w it a lot better and feels just as fast/faster on flats.

Same fit on both (well a bit more reach on the Foil).

All do respect, the foil should be better with top flight frame and components, vs felt ar5 with entry carbon, 105 and training wheels.

But the foil remains lighter than many in the aero market. So it makes a nice all-round choice.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Apr 23, 19 19:58
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither were stock. Both built w similar components and same wheels on both. Difference in carbon sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you get those aero water bottles and cages?

Great bike at a great weight!

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Where did you get those aero water bottles and cages?

Great bike at a great weight!

Thanks. I could drop 1.2-1.5lbs going tubular. Magazine weight (no pedals or acessories) would be closer to 12.5lbs as it is.

The bottles are elite crono bottles. I sanded off the white logos on the cages for a more stealth look. I also modified them to mount a few mm lower. I think i got them at a reasonable price on eBay or amazon. They leak a bit if overfilled, and they rattle a bit when empty over bumps, but i am pretty sure they improve aero on my non-aero frame just by being attached.

My alternative is elite fly bottles and carbonworks cages, but i took the weight hit to go aero. Same with the wheels.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Apr 24, 19 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
I'd have a real hard time considering any road bike over a Felt AR, as it just does everything so well. Takes a 28 tire with ease, great geo, stiff in all the right ways, and not that heavy when you consider the whole system. The only niggle is that damn BB mounted rear brake, but I hope to solve that on my rig with an EE.

I've never ridden a Foil or Scott for that matter, but I doubt it's going to do anything better than the AR. As far as looks, well, that's subjective for sure. However, if you like riding the Felt and don't mind looking at it then a change does sound silly.

Hey LAI!

Do you still have your Felt AR? You mentioned you were running a 28mm tire easily...which tire and what wheelset? I am finding 25mm is about the most I can get in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [drtse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find that I have to shift the chain onto the small ring in order to get a 28 mm wheel to fit. While it's a royal PITA (i've always left the chain on the big ring and shifted the RD to the right-most position, so that I could rely on the tension in the RD to snap the wheel in place), but it's doable, and there definitely is clearance.

My rear wheel is a Kinlin XR-31T rim (24 mm outside rim width) paired with Conti GP5000 tire. Getting the front to fit was trivial.
Quote Reply
Re: Current Felt AR or old Scott Foil [drtse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there. Sorry for the delayed response, but not a lot of time lately for ST. Yes! I do still have the Felt Aero Road, but sadly I don't ride it much anymore. Nor do I ride a lot period (mostly just commuting to and from work on my UP and the occasional neighborhood hot laps on the Da).

To your question: I run Easton EC90 Aero 55 wheels. They're tubeless compatible and I believe either 18 or 19mm internal. On those I currently have Schwalbe's Pro One's in 25/28, front and rear, respectively. I previously had the previous gen but due to not running true to size (25 measured wider than 28mm) I ran a 23/25 setup.

Now, I don't recall if it's still the case, but on the old tires for the rear tire fitment I had to remove the rear skewer completely as the nut hit the derailleur's knuckle. This was also the case on my older tubular schwalbe "roubaix" one's in 28. I think the newer correctly labeled 28s are a touch shorter than the older 25s and I don't have to remove the skewer, but like I said, I'm not sure.

I haven't tried any other brands as I really like the durability, speed, and feel of schwalbe's top end tires.

Some Photos of the older One's

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Oct 23, 21 4:14
Quote Reply