Prev Next
Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton
Quote | Reply
Here is the first episode of 2015, discuss:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...m_Appleton_5188.html
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cal is an awesome athlete. I like his interviews, but I wish he could back off the "cutesy" stuff a little. I am all for having fun but I think its a bit overboard on some of his stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "cutesy" stuff?

Twitter: @callummillward | YouTube Channel |
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [callummillward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's not awkward, it's not funny.

Keep it up the good work.
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Owen. I have 0% journalism or media experience, so we're learning as we go.

The stereotypical athlete interviews and race reports have their place, but can also be extremely repetitive. We've had 98% positive feedback from the videos. We're going to upset 1%, and the other 1% are looking to be offended by something on the internet. Both sponsors and pro's are keen to support us which is great. Im always interested to hear peoples feedback, so feel free to let me know what you do and don't like.

We're not trying to produce the perfect interview. This is merely a bit of fun and exposure for me as a pro and Korupt Vision as a brand. Its a platform for the pro's to have a little fun and show off their personality.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the series. No Cupcakes in Kona this year as Im racing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree they are pretty entertaining although this last one was the first I didnt finish. Almost zero tri related content BUT I still love your take on interviews overall. A mix of legit Q&A with fun stuff would get more people watching all the way through. I could be 100% wrong too

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
Cal is an awesome athlete. I like his interviews, but I wish he could back off the "cutesy" stuff a little. I am all for having fun but I think its a bit overboard on some of his stuff.

Wholeheartedly disagree. Don't change a thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea Cal PLEASE, we want some more boring ass crap. Like the dribble they spoon out on that other show "breakfast with boob" or something like that......
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. From last years videos, the average view time was 6:10. Which is around 65% of the average video duration. We are making these videos <6mins this year- so when you're wife pulls you away form your iphone for some "us" time, hopefully you are finished with the most part of the video.

Its walking a tight rope trying to get the mix of quality Q&A and humour and Im never going to please everyone. As Shimano just tweeted, its "Edutainment".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've watched most of the videos and by and large have been entertained/informed.

My bigger take away from this is that I appreciate that you're differentiating yourself in the pro triathlete market place.

Given that the majority of the pros out there just don't get this, it's a great opportunity for you to have some fun and (hopefully) monetize it.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
I've watched most of the videos and by and large have been entertained/informed.

My bigger take away from this is that I appreciate that you're differentiating yourself in the pro triathlete market
Similar to Wurteles race reports.
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:

My bigger take away from this is that I appreciate that you're differentiating yourself in the pro triathlete market place.

Given that the majority of the pros out there just don't get this, it's a great opportunity for you to have some fun and (hopefully) monetize it.

Nailed it. Thats it right there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good work and funny.

Callum, not all Americans can appreciate the colonial sense of humor you Kiwi, Aussie and Brits have brought to the stage.

Keep up the effort AND DON'T DILUTE THE BRAND!!!

I look forward to more cupcake episodes and interviews. One question??? How are you gona get the interviews done in Kona this year when you are competing yourself???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess with the 65% is fast-forwarding through the intro and possibly the end.

Otherwise, it's good stuff. I like how it humanizes everyone and brings the ability to relate to elite athletes. At the end of the day, if I were stuck in a bar with stud triathletes (or any elite athlete for that manner), the conversation would eventually stray from how awesome I think they are and then the conversation would suffer, unless they have the ability to talk about Tinder and the impact it has on their lives (good question to ask for your next interview, just saying). Swipe right, swipe right.
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B3CK wrote:
My guess with the 65% is fast-forwarding through the intro and possibly the end.

Otherwise, it's good stuff. I like how it humanizes everyone and brings the ability to relate to elite athletes. At the end of the day, if I were stuck in a bar with stud triathletes (or any elite athlete for that manner), the conversation would eventually stray from how awesome I think they are and then the conversation would suffer, unless they have the ability to talk about Tinder and the impact it has on their lives (good question to ask for your next interview, just saying). Swipe right, swipe right.

"You remember that time, you won that race? That was AWESOME."

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
B3CK wrote:

"You remember that time, you won that race? That was AWESOME."

Hahah, yesssssssss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We are making these videos <6mins this year- so when you're wife pulls you away form your iphone for some "us" time, hopefully you are finished with the most part of the video.

Good news - my wife likes the show. Keep it up.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
Good work and funny.

Callum, not all Americans can appreciate the colonial sense of humor you Kiwi, Aussie and Brits have brought to the stage.

Keep up the effort AND DON'T DILUTE THE BRAND!!!

I look forward to more cupcake episodes and interviews. One question??? How are you gona get the interviews done in Kona this year when you are competing yourself???

Thanks mate, we're on the same page here. Although I do have some very good friends in the US who do understand sarcasm, its a breath of fresh air.

Ive requested to Mr Messick that he mic me and others up + GoPro, and we get some footage from the pro bike pack in Kona. Bit of tongue n cheek, but its happening at the Tour de France and really shows a new perspective. We're in the entertainment business at the end of the day right?!

Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
Yea Cal PLEASE, we want some more boring ass crap. Like the dribble they spoon out on that other show "breakfast with boob" or something like that......

Haha, exactly what Im trying to avoid! To Bobs credit, I was just on his show and he's a legend.

Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on. Theres so much content where pro's, coaches etc are answering serious questions, and i have no doubt if you want to find out what Macca eat's for breakfast, you can Google it. Im not here to ask these questions, Im here to have a little fun.

Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks James, your wife has great taste

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cal is the shit!!! Best pro triathlete! !! Just got into boulder for the im hopefully I see you around and can get some high five action going fa sho 100!!!! Keep ballin out posh 365 heavy thuggin!!.. positive tho
Quote Reply
Re: Cupcakes with Cal: Sam Appleton [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it, I get the humor, keep up the good work. Do you think it's going to be hard to get male pros to interview if you keep beating them?
Quote Reply

Prev Next