Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps
Quote | Reply
So here in Madison that Crossfit Games are going on. City is expecting about 30,000 athletes/spectators to visit the city. The main area is at a local coliseum where the bike course for IMWI starts and ends.

Meanwhile this is one of the big training camp weekends in Madison. Many of the local teams/clubs have camps going on all weekend, along as some from out of town.

With the location of the Crossfit games and the Ironman course converging, many of these athletes are going to be running into each other during training all weekend.

I pity the service industry of Madison that needs to put up with all these ego driven, paleo, vegan, chest bumping, neurotic athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was up there this weekend doing a bit of riding on the bike course. ( Barlow is going to be fun on race day... )

Other than right in Madison, I don't think much overlap. Most of the riding people should be doing is going to be out closer to Verona and far away from the Alliant Center. The part of the bike course that's in Madison proper doesn't really offer a benefit to riding before race day, lots of traffic and crappy roads.

We did have fun at dinner and walking around the capitol area playing "Triathlete or Crossfitter?".

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All sarcasm/ crossfit bashing aside, I think it's great for our city to be able to host 2 marquee fitness events (Crossfit Games, IMWI) within a month of each other.

Pretty down to earth group, at least from the out-of-towners i've interacted with downtown or at the Union Terrace so far. Most seeing Madison for the first time, and the city is definitely putting its best foot forward.

I'm actually pretty excited about watching the 2 kickoff events they added this year:
  • 1.5 mile run, 500 m swim in monona, 1.5 mile run
  • Cyclocross

Everyone hates on the way triathletes swim and ride their bikes, but this should definitely take a lot of these crossfit guys and girls wayyy out of their comfort zones.
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Aug 2, 17 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coredump wrote:
We did have fun at dinner and walking around the capitol area playing "Triathlete or Crossfitter?".

Easy, crossfitters are the fittest on earth so they shouldn't be hard to identify.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After watching the "Cyclocross" course preview video, and seeing the bikes they're riding, I think calling it Cyclocross is pretty generous. More like a cross-country MTB race with a dismount segment. Although, I will definitely be watching to see how they handle the log jump segments, and to see if the first corner of lap 1 turns into the carnage I'm expecting...

The run-swim-run will be interesting, and I think it's only a matter of time before we see some version of a triathlon (however truncated it may be) implemented into the games.

I have been enjoying Crossfit to a great degree, and it's helping me build power in my legs and core, which tend to lead to better bike and run splits. I understand some of the bashing it gets, but the workouts themselves are incredible, and incredibly useful. Besides, isn't it bashed for nearly the same reasons triathletes get bashed?

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that any sport that crowns its champion as the "fittest person on earth" deserves to be bashed. And the people who believe the claims should be bashed as well.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Aug 2, 17 9:07
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, "fitness" can be defined in so many ways. Put the top 10 crossfit games competitors into an Ironman event and see how they stack up. HaHa!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree. "Fittest on Earth" isn't really a title that's feasible in any fashion, sport, or achievement. It does sound cool, though.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
I'm actually pretty excited about watching the 2 kickoff events they added this year:
  • Cyclocross

Are you going? I'm still trying to wriggle out of work tomorrow for those events. It would be cool to see. ~$35 doesn't seem terribly unreasonable to spectate for a day. It's great to see some more focus on endurance and stamina in the Crossfit events. For years it's been (very talented and hard working) men and women who are throwing down weightlifting numbers worthy of lifting-specific competitions and then running 5k times that wouldn't raise an eyebrow at a middle school track meet. I don't remember the specific event order and year, but when I paid more attention to crossfit, the national championships had a 5k and less than half of the men went under 20 minutes. Maybe endurance related activities are just too hard to set up for regional competitions (and gyms).

Anyhow, hopefully the weather cooperates and it's a great experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brmacy wrote:

The run-swim-run will be interesting, and I think it's only a matter of time before we see some version of a triathlon (however truncated it may be) implemented into the games.

They already did a tri back in 2012. They did use fins on the swim.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...iathlon_!!!_P4038125
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bat phone just rang at WTC headquarters :)

dangle wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:

• Cyclocross

Are you going? I'm still trying to wriggle out of work tomorrow for those events. It would be cool to see. ~$35 doesn't seem terribly unreasonable to spectate for a day. It's great to see some more focus on endurance and stamina in the Crossfit events. For years it's been (very talented and hard working) men and women who are throwing down weightlifting numbers worthy of lifting-specific competitions and then running 5k times that wouldn't raise an eyebrow at a middle school track meet. I don't remember the specific event order and year, but when I paid more attention to crossfit, the national championships had a 5k and less than half of the men went under 20 minutes. Maybe endurance related activities are just too hard to set up for regional competitions (and gyms).

Anyhow, hopefully the weather cooperates and it's a great experience.

Quote | Reply
markbrown wrote:
I agree, "fitness" can be defined in so many ways. Put the top 10 crossfit games competitors into an Ironman event and see how they stack up. HaHa!

I'd be interested to see how the top 10 ironmaners would do in the crossfit games. Other than the obvious events I imagine there'd be a few they couldn't finish, or start.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree with you there. Consider how many people you know that can deadlift 425lbs? That was the starting weight for the deadlift ladder in last years games. If memory serves me there was one guy who made it all the way ending with 615lbs! Insane...
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [risslerp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They also walked most of the run. I remember watching it on tv and being pretty disappointed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which is precisely why I mentioned that any one sport or event calling themselves the fittest is stupid. What makes you fitter? Lifting a ton of weight or finishing an IM in 8 hours? Totally different things that cant be compared. And as far as crossfit claiming that they are testing not only strength but also endurance by having competitors jog/walk a couple miles is a joke. Id even argue that OCR is a better balance of endurance/strength testing than crossfit is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
I'd be interested to see how the top 10 ironmaners would do in the crossfit games. Other than the obvious events I imagine there'd be a few they couldn't finish, or start.

Looking at the schedule at https://games.crossfit.com/workouts/games/2017, I would say the best ironman athletes couldn't do any of the strength based crossfit workouts. 100 lb dumbbells overhead? 350 lb cleans? I'll be over here splashing in the pool with breaks every 2 minutes and then jog at a pace slow enough to talk, eat and drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Crossfit still around? Seriously have you noticed recently many Crossfit Gym's dropping the "Crossfit" from their name. I wonder if its related with affiliation costs or the workout limitations Crossfit put on the gym's actually hurting them financially.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a Crossfit gym about 2 doors down from where I used to work, and I thought that the idea of coming in and having a routine given to me might help me with my motivation for strength workouts. I used to go to a gym years ago where you walked in the door and there was a clipboard with your name on it with your workout for the day. Convenient.

But holy hell are crossfit gyms expensive. I get the whole "you pay for convenience" thing, but it was crazy. No wonder they're failing.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimfan wrote:
Is Crossfit still around? Seriously have you noticed recently many Crossfit Gym's dropping the "Crossfit" from their name. I wonder if its related with affiliation costs or the workout limitations Crossfit put on the gym's actually hurting them financially.

Unless something has changed, I don't think Crossfit puts any workout limitations on their affiliates. Having complete autonomy was always part of the affiliate business model. I do think that some gyms are trying to distance themselves from the Crossfit brand, either because they don't want the baggage that comes with it or because they're sufficiently established and no longer need the brand name to attract business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely agree with you on the apples and oranges for 'fittest'. Was watching on the treadmill this AM and someone commented on the second run, "It looks like a dump truck driving on an F1 track!" I thought that was funny. I sent that to my sis-in-law via text and she wrote back, if a triathlete was trying to do the heavy lifts it'd sound something like this, "it looks like a pre-pubescent boy trying to lift a dump truck!" - i said, "touche!"

I'm all for exercising the way you want and what makes you happy and 'fit' - i'm glad to see them adding more 'cardio' based events this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coredump wrote:

How's that any kind of a challenge? Both will tell before you can even begin to contemplate it.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
There was a Crossfit gym about 2 doors down from where I used to work, and I thought that the idea of coming in and having a routine given to me might help me with my motivation for strength workouts. I used to go to a gym years ago where you walked in the door and there was a clipboard with your name on it with your workout for the day. Convenient.

But holy hell are crossfit gyms expensive. I get the whole "you pay for convenience" thing, but it was crazy. No wonder they're failing.

The argument is that you get a gym, coaching/motivation, and a structured plan all in one fee. In some ways it is not "that" expensive. Considering how much i spend on cycling its rather cheap. For the normal person wanting to look good and have fun it is a very good system. Its fast, fun, competitive, and overall a system that is always changing. Crossfit decided to start a serious competitive element and like all sports specific body types excel at the discipline. Crossfit is sort of like the ultimate triathlete, i am not good enough at one sport so i will just be ok at everything :)
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:

There's no doubt that crossfit is expensive, but the monthly cost is way less than many triathletes pay their coaches, and you can get about three years of crossfit for the price of a mid-tier triathlon bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Games meet IM Training Camps [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what you get (facility, coach, etc.) is can be a decent value. I looked in 2012 when it was still fairly new, and it was running in the high $300's per month. That's crazy. I looked now and it's about $150 / month which as you and Craigj532 pointed out is pretty close to tri coaching. The price probably came down as there are now about 3 crossfit gyms near by old office.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
markbrown wrote:

Yeah if you took that top 10 crossfit athletes vs the top ten Kona ironman athletes. I would put money on more cross fitters could complete the ironman versus ironman athletes complete/start all the events at the crossfit games.
Quote Reply

Prev Next