Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So being faster means that the good points he made would carry more weight?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some evidence that his points work would be good yeah.

If he were faster that would at least be *some* evidence.

In Reply To:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sigh.

For evidence you should probably check some of your own training.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
evidence of what?
heavy squats being able to replace putting in the hours?

its not even clear what LSD means to this guy. for some people that means 50 hours a week, to others its means 20

for me, about 7 hours a week of training got me as fast as this guy, without the weights/crossfit, so I don't think they are necessary key to going mediocre speeds in triathlon.

In Reply To:
sigh.

For evidence you should probably check some of your own training.

Last edited by: jackmott: Apr 9, 09 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How come these cutting edge training trends never start where the top athletes are - Eldoret, Kenya; Trondheim, Norway; Flagstaff, AZ. . . .? Just wondering.

Because results and "cutting edge trends" are mutually exclusive.

I owe you a note on some CAN magazine thoughts.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, I said there were some valid points in his article, not that his article was valid.

I guarantee some of the points he said you do in your training.

If anything your 7hr point validates a few of his points.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [JDale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been following the Crossfit (main site) workouts failrly consistently for about a year and a half. Overall fitness (overall strength, etc) is probably not far from where I was when I wrestled (accounting for age). Crossfit Endurance (CFE) came along about a year ago so I was watching it closely but not following it. I don't know that I could find anyplace on the main Crossfit site that actually claims that their method will take an average athlete and make them "pro". It seems to be pervasive on the Crossfit Endurance sight though. Because of this, I almost never go to the CFE website. Another peripheral thing that irritates me about that site is the over abundance of the use of the F-bomb by Brian in nearly every video.
I really believe that Crossfit (main site) is a superb off-season training for most athletic endeavours. If the in-season schedule can handle it, it could probably be used then also. It will never replace "specificity", specially if you want to be at all proficient.
Bottom Line from my rant: Don't lump CFE in with the Crossfit main site. I think they are very different from each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, there is a bit in there about intensity. I'm on board there.

In Reply To:
Again, I said there were some valid points in his article, not that his article was valid.

I guarantee some of the points he said you do in your training.

If anything your 7hr point validates a few of his points.

Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [bnhsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He makes some valid points but he definitely crosses the line when he says he has a thing or two to teach Macca! I also like his comment about how there is no proof that large amounts of lower-intensity volume lead to better endurance performance. Has he ever of heard of a guy named Lance Armstrong? Maybe Lance should give this guy a call so he can learn how to train properly.

Based on my 1/2 IM times even I can crush this guy in an IM and I do zero weight training. Then again I don't have all that tatoo ink weighing me down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Brian,

I think what he means is that many in the tri community are under the mistaken impression that just because you went fast, that you know what you are talking about and/or you are a great coach. That seems to be the only credentials people care about. So the reverse of this would be true in this case. This dude only went 11:30, so what on earth would he know about coaching/advising triathletes. He may actually know a lot!! Not that I am agreeing with his philosophy at all - just presenting a realistic opposing view.

I always find it funny because when I came of age as a runner in my teens, I was coached by the guy who many considered the absolute best distance running coach in Canada - he was a fat, old guy who could barely jog around the block!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 9, 09 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if your running coach held up his 6 hour marathon as an example of his coaching systems prowess, wouldn't think him silly?

Either you use your new ideas to make yourself fast, or someone else fast. Until you do that, you shouldn't be claiming your new ideas are awesome.

This guy does refer to people he trains that got faster using his techniques, but there is no real reference, we don't know who these people are and how much faster they got or event WHAT they got faster at.

In Reply To:
I always find in funny because when I came of age as a runner, I was coached by the guy who many considered the absolute best distance running coach in Canada - he was a fat, old guy who could barely jog around the block!![/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I think what he means is that many in the tri community are under the mistaken impression that just because you went fast, that you know what you are talking about and/or you are a great coach."

True. Look at Bowerman.

On a side note, this thread is now a link on the http://www.crossfitendurance.com website, and in the comments section for today there's even rebuttals to comments posted on here, gotta love it.

http://www.facebook.com/ReconFoundationTeam
http://www.facebook.com/MarineReconFoundation
http://www.reconfoundation.org
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [TriMarine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that guy has, iirc, posted here before I think.
Or someone with a similar ironman time did. Blew up on the run and blamed his stomach.

In Reply To:
"I think what he means is that many in the tri community are under the mistaken impression that just because you went fast, that you know what you are talking about and/or you are a great coach."

True. Look at Bowerman.

On a side note, this thread is now a link on the http://www.crossfitendurance.com website, and in the comments section for today there's even rebuttals to comments posted on here, gotta love it.

Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [bachorb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I also like his comment about how there is no proof that large amounts of lower-intensity volume lead to better endurance performance. Has he ever of heard of a guy named Lance Armstrong?

Or Arthur Lydiard, or Peter Snell, or Phil Maffetone, or Mark Allen, or Mike Pigg ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's very, very hard for many people to wrap their heads around, but being fast isn't a prerequisite to being a good coach. If so there might be 3 good coaches out there.

Who said 11:XX wasn't fast for him. What if he was a 15:00 IMer prior. What if that guy was a 8hr marathoner?

Maybe it would be helpful for us if you defined what fast is, so we can define what good coaching is.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Piker! ML has only been seriously training for tri for 5 seasons."

Wait, you started seriously training? We are all in trouble now.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [bachorb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He makes some valid points but he definitely crosses the line when he says he has a thing or two to teach Macca!
Quote:

This is a perfect display of the shallowness of the thinking that permeates ST when it comes to training. Best to listen to what he wrote, then compare it to what you know, what current literature says and what the top coaches are doing. Then you can make an informed decision for yourself if it is applicable to you before discounting or accepting it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [tsmagnum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crossfit has been pushed on my unit (1st Recon Battalion) very heavily in the past 2 years.
I think it is garbage.
PFT scores have dropped significantly, primarily on the run.
Also ruck running ability has dropped among the cross fit crowd, again due to the lack of getting out and doing long duration cardio.
In 06 before it really took hold there were probably 6-7 guys per 20 man platoon who ran under 18 minutes on the 3 mile, everyone was under 21:00 unless they had some kind of injury. I'd say more than 80% finished in under 20:00

Last time we ran a PFT only 2 people in the entire company ran under an 18 and scored a 300, myself (16:40) and a high 17 minute. Several people were in the 22-23 region. That would have been completely unacceptable in 2006...
The crossfit turds really think their method will help people in my occupations job performance. The numbers and events i see first had seem to prove the opposite.
If you do crossfit workouts as a side workout, just in addition to your normal training i think it can be good for some core and general strength maintanance.
20 minutes a day isnt going to help you carry a ruck for 3 hours over mountains. Nor will it help you in a 2-5 or 10 hour event.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Karaya0321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's also being pushed at BRTC now, some of the stories I've heard out of the "new" BRC have been horror stories. Crossfit for PT, no ruck runs, individual effort? Where's the test of mental and physical stamina we require from our 0321's.....*sigh*

I feel your pain brother, I feel your pain, it's the same on the east coast with 2D.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should try crossfit...that's one more chance for me to get injured :P

That said, even though I think his article is off base for most, there are indeed some valid points, and Macca, having won multiple Ironman races, Kona included, could possibly learn a thing or two indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
being fast isn't a prerequisite to being a good coach.

While that's true, this guy is the one hoisting himself up as the ultimate example of how endurance athletes should train.

The funny thing, I think, is that Macca DOES hit the weights, and, by my observation, has put on a little more muscle in the last few years. He's not exactly a stringbean athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fully agree with you.

Some great coaches may never even have raced/played at a high level. Conversely, some GREAT athletes who attempt coaching, just don't have a clue

JC
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jeffcubos
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Karaya0321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Crossfit has been pushed on my unit (1st Recon Battalion) very heavily in the past 2 years.
I think it is garbage.
PFT scores have dropped significantly, primarily on the run.
Also ruck running ability has dropped among the cross fit crowd, again due to the lack of getting out and doing long duration cardio.
In 06 before it really took hold there were probably 6-7 guys per 20 man platoon who ran under 18 minutes on the 3 mile, everyone was under 21:00 unless they had some kind of injury. I'd say more than 80% finished in under 20:00

Last time we ran a PFT only 2 people in the entire company ran under an 18 and scored a 300, myself (16:40) and a high 17 minute. Several people were in the 22-23 region. That would have been completely unacceptable in 2006...
The crossfit turds really think their method will help people in my occupations job performance. The numbers and events i see first had seem to prove the opposite.
If you do crossfit workouts as a side workout, just in addition to your normal training i think it can be good for some core and general strength maintanance.
20 minutes a day isnt going to help you carry a ruck for 3 hours over mountains. Nor will it help you in a 2-5 or 10 hour event.
As a former 0321/8541, hearing that only 2 guys in the whole company scored a 300 is a punch in my gut. If you cant go out and knock out a 300 on any given day...........then something is incredibly wrong. a 300PFT should be the "stepping off point", IMHO.

and hour of unit PT every morning at 0700, followed by a 5 mile run, chow, work. mile swim at 1100, chow, work, and then a 3 mile run or an hour in the gym in the evening was our garrison routine. You couldnt even get INTO sniper school if you didnt have perfect scores: PFT/pros-cons.

Well, sounds like you need to get in there and cut out the dead wood,

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent point Brian. Besides reading the article, if you want to understand the philosophy and training methodology behind crossfit endurance, go to the website and get a better understanding of what it's all about. It's fricking hard training that'll humble you and get you thinking about how to improve your own training.

You know what you know. You know what you don't know. You don't know what you don't know. It's good to be righteous....self-righteous, not so much.

happy pesach,

spencer
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to cut out the dead wood nowadays when you have guys coming straight to Recon as their first unit straight from BRC. We call them Recon babies, pretty much only the team leaders, plt sgt's and SNCO's are the only ones with prior units/deployments. It's baffling compared to days of old, I don't know how many LCpls are running around here. Jump and Scuba bubbled out, but no Sea Service ribbon...shocked? I was too.

Quote Reply

Prev Next