Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [hgrong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why won't this thread JUST DIE?!?!?
IT's dead, we are just toying with the carcass before it begins to rot.

I personally cant wait until I've done my Full Dist race, so I can switch from 20 hour weeks to 20min. wkts. spent zipping around a weight room like a gerbil on crack.

Yeah, its gonna be fun!

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [XFitRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow, I thought I kept my post as cordial and tame as possible. Some amazing responses here considering that I made no grand or outlandish claims.

First, no where did I imply that interval training is something new to endurance sports that was bestowed upon us by CF. And it may be news to you but the ancient Greeks were doing intervals for their distance runners thousands of years before Zatopek. Your accusation is in itself "arrogant" and "ignorant".

Zatopek is a convenient marker because he actually discussed his training a great deal and because he competed in the modern era where we have video and other recorded data/footage/etc. Last time I checked, there aren't detailed training logs about ancient Greek athletes. Well, maybe there are, but they are mixed in with stories about guys holding the heavens on their shoulders and bashing each other with the masts of ships. Zatopek is a simply a convenient marker for the advocacy of high-intensity training for endurance exercise. How Zatopek trained was considered revolutionary at the time, something that can most certainly not be said about CF/CFE.

In Reply To:
Second, I never claimed that the training of the past 60 years was incorrect...unless by that you were refering to my wild claim that there will be improvements in the future. Improvement does not mean everything prior was incorrect. Do you not believe there will be improvements, CF or otherwise?

You wrote that, "...we might find out CF had it correct." Especially in light of comments from the likes of imbeciles like CF "guru" Brian McKenzie, I'd say there is an implication of "incorrectness." If CF was merely an improvement, why not say, "in 10 years, CF-style training might be an essential part of an endurance program." What you wrote clearly has right/wrong implications regarding training methodology.

In Reply To:

Third, I dont agree with your comparison of a swim race to a series of intervals. A flip turn does not provide the adequate opportunity to rest between the next maximal effort. I'm not sure of your training but when I do intervals I take breaks longer than 5 seconds and I actually allow myself to breathe. And cycling would be a better comparison...sitting in the peloton waiting for a break or the next climb.

Then would you care, for example, to explain to me why the 1500 SCM world record is roughly 20sec - or 2.5% WHICH IS MASSIVE - faster than the 1500LCM world record if flip turns don't provide an opportunity for recovery? Yes, speed off the walls accounts for some of it, but speed between the flags is also higher in all distance SCM records. Any SCM<->LCM conversion calculator has a fatique factor built in. Do a little poking around. It's pretty well established that the rest offered by a flip turn is extremely significant. If you do a lot of LCM and SCM/SCY swimming, you can experience this for yourself, assuming you have good technique on your turns.

In Reply To:
Fourth, admittedly my use of the word "comparable" is inadequate. A better example would be if you took a world class decathlete and stacked them up against a world class 10k runner, the decathlete would be closer to the runner, in terms of percentage, on the 10k run than the 10k runner would any decathlon event or any event that required speed, power, strenght....

And this is based on what? Based off 1500m decathlon times, where the best 1500m time ever in a decathlon is 3:58.7. Bekele, the world 10km record holder, has a 1500m pb of 3:32.3. That means the best 1500m running decathlete ever - over 1500m - is 12% slower than the best 10km runner (not even the best 1500m runner) ever. And that's for 1500m. I would be very surprised to see any decathlete run within 12% of Bekele in a 10km event. In speed events - Bekele's 400m PB is ~48sec (though he's never actually competed in the 400m at the high level or specifically trained for the 400m, so that's the best estimate from various sources. His true best 400m would likely be quite a bit faster). The best decathlete ever in the 400m - Toomey - ran 45.68, roughly 5% faster. The other decathlon events are very technique specific, so it's harder to make a comparison. But I would wager that with some actual training on how to pole vault, long jump, etc. Bekele could certainly do well. But decathlon really is a relatively poor comparison, because technique is such a massive part of every field event. I.e., even a male Olympic gymnast (hard to think of a better all around athlete) would struggle to throw a javelin or pole vault or put the shot or throw a discus effectively, simply because they are so technique specific. But, based solely on speed vs. endurance running events, it's pretty clear that an elite 10km runner would do better than the typical decathlete if you took the margin on 100m, 200m, 400, 800m, 1500m, 5000m, 10000m. And that's based on actual data from real athletes, not speculation.

In Reply To:
Fifth, I 100% AGREE WITH YOU THAT ENDURANCE (and the ability to bike, swim and run well) ARE JUST AS AN IMPORTANT ASPECT OF FITNESS AS ANYTHING ELSE...problem is do you or others here really believe that? That implies that strength, power and speed are just as important as endurance. If everyone here believed that then we wouldnt have this debate.
Also, CrossFit is ABSOLUTELY all about fitness that can be applied to every day life. "...strive to blur distinctions between "cardio" and strength training. NATURE HAS NO REGARD FOR THIS DISTINCTION.' ---CrossFit. Run for the bus or train? Unless you are running 10k in your work clothes to catch said bus I am guessing the CFer is going to out sprint the average triathlete to the bus stop. Where do some of you get the idea that there is no cardio development or even running in CF. Just because you are not doing "cardio" doesnt mean you are not developing your cardiovascular system. Plus, CF leads to a balance of skeletal strength which helps in everyday life. Swimming is a skill. I havent been in the pool for a while and would consider myself out of swimming shape but I still have the skill to not drown and even out swim someone that is in shape but a bad swmmer.

I don't think anyone ever said there was no cardio development in crossfit. A huge part of what I've been saying is that CrossFit somehow touts as revolutionary things that are incorporated into pretty much every sensibly-trained athletes' program.

In Reply To:
Sixth, with regard to your "get from a to b" type race it really depends on how you set it up. I would argue that if it called for equal parts endurance, strength, power, speed, coordination, agility then the CF would beat out the triathlete. If you would set it up otherwise then that only proves that you do not hold up those other capacities with the same regard as endurance.

And I'd argue otherwise. And I don't think you have any actual evidence that you can lean on to support your claim. Neither do I, but I never held triathlon up as some holy grail of overall fitness, the way pretty much every CF/CFE proponent does.

In Reply To:

Seveth, are you implying that I have to study all those greats to have an opinion that might have any value? Talk about an "air of superiority".

Lord no. It's the internets. We are all about people making claims and statements without any support from anything other than their gut instinct.

In Reply To:
Eigth, may of you are right by saying that you need to specialize in a sport to be competitive in it. No where does CF argue otherwise and CFE is simply the attempt utilize the CF principles and help endurance athletes specialize in a different, they would argue, better/more efficient manner.

Uh, yeah. It's that whole "better/more efficient manner" thing that I take issue with. I think that's a pretty big sticking point. Maybe you don't.

In Reply To:
Finally, NO WHERE DID I SAY OR IMPLY THAT CF ENDURANCE WAS BETTER THAN WHAT YOU OR ANYONE ELSE DOES!!!!! IN FACT I AM NOT ENTIRELY CONVINCED MYSELF!! (seriously, some of you are a little defensive) CFE is an interesting concept that should be explored and tested before it is so willfully disregarded...what is wrong with that idea?

Again, it's the idea that CF/CFE is somehow an "interesting concept" that people take issue with. It is NOT an interesting concept. It is NOT a new concept. It is none of those things. The parts of CF/CFE that are applicable to endurance athletes are really things that have been part of high level endurance training for a very long time. CF/CFE packages them as something new, better, different, but it isn't. I.e., the only good stuff in CF/CFE is stuff that has been around for 60+ (or 600+, if you want) years. And the rest of the stuff is shit you can throw away. I.e., nobody with any sense would say that core strength is not important to being a fast 10km runner. And that same person would also recognize that pull-ups are useless for that runner. The problem with CF/CFE is the shotgun approach that ignores any sense of analysis and specificity. If your core is weak, do exercises to stabilize your core because they stabilize your core. Don't do a bunch of exercises where that is an ancillary benefit that comes with a whole host of things that, at best, may not hurt you, and, at worst, may be detrimental to performance.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [XFitRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Imagine a triathlete taking their current program and greatly reducing the LSD and increasing the interval training and incorperating complex, anerobic, multi joint strenght training..[/quote] So, to paraphrase, "imagine someone training the way pretty much every elite endurance athlete trains?" Wow. What a concept...
So, you are in fact implying we have reached our capacity to understand training and there is no room for improvement? Interesting.
See my reply above. When CF/CFE actually presents something that is interesting, then maybe I'll pay attention. But for now, all they've done is steal a hodge-podge of workouts from the military, olympic weight lifting programs, sprint (run) training programs, rowing programs, etc. There is nothing revolutionary in CF/CFE. That's the point. CF/CFE is not worth paying attention to because there isn't anything new or revolutionary in it. It's all stolen ideas, many of which are not completely understood by those that are stealing them, thrown together in a mish-mash.

What exactly do you think CF/CFE can teach us about training? Core strength is important? Muscular balance is important? Explosive power is important? Wow. What revolutionary concepts. There are real changes in our understanding of endurance training, but it's isn't (and won't) come from CF/CFE. Look at Claudio Berardelli's training program for his marathon group. That's the sort of stuff that actually expands our understanding, not a bunch of second and third tier athletes tossing kettlebells around, doing poor form deadlifts, and rowing with abysmal technique on a C2 ergometer. Understanding is advanced by looking at athletes at the pinnacle of performance and how they push the envelope of human performance, which CF/CFE is most definitely not.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on this one.....this is my 4th week of doing CF 2 x per week in addition to tri training. I certainly feel better, stronger........not sure about faster, haven't raced since I started CF. I'm one that usually neglects strength training during the "season" and ultimately deal with some type of injury at some point. I really like the class and feel that I benefit from it.....but I'm just a MOP triathlete just hoping to continue doing what I like to do. And feeling stronger is a nice plus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

There is a reason that the Marine Corps, SPECOPS/SEALs, fire fighters, law enforcement, UFC fighters are rushing to CF. It's not because its cool and trendy its because it works. Look at the list I just layed out...these are people that rely on fitness for their lives!!
if ultimate survival in combat skills would be the criterium of a good training program, we would all copy the training programs of the vietcong or the taliban.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well i know of one guy that did Cal 1/2 last year(08) and then was told to do abandon his regular triathlon training and do only cross fit in prep for his IM CDA 08 race. Well he was all into it and he stuck to crossfit and their training needless to say he DNF'd the race. And yes he was trained by them.

Like T says, "Remember it is all about the Bike because it is all about the Run!"
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [tury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be my favorite post. One guy tried it and DNF so it all must be wrong. As I read through the posts, I think back to when I first listened to CrossFit tell me about what they do and my skepticism. The reality was everything I heard pointed to doing more produces greater results. To the individual that comments on the cockiness or lack of scientific data, I find it entertaining to say the least. These are the same individuals spending thousands on bikes and tri gear in hopes of shaving seconds but when someone provides a new perspective on how to train, he must be out of his mind, cocky etc. I am a competitive triathlete and have raced for seven years. I put in long miles in the pool, bike and run. Many of the people I train side by side, would log mindless miles put in in hopes of increasing their capacity and/or VO2 max without every getting close to those levels. There is always a group of people that reference the professionals and how they train. The difference for most pros is they are able to train for a living, recovery and do everything to put them in perfect form. For the rest of us who have other commitments in life, training for a living isn't a choice.

For those who continue to want to train that way, good luck and I wish you the best. To others looking for something designed to make you stronger and faster, I provide my experience.

My experience was simple, my ART doctor loved my training regimen as did my private coaches. I would typically spend thousands in improving form, bike fits, message and ART to try to simple make it through a season. After several races, I realized my psoas, although being treated twice weekly, continued to be a major issue. I looked bent without a shirt. I decided to TRY something different. I meet with these so called "cocky" guys who listened to my experiences, spent time looking at my form, scaling things to my level and overall reprogramming my body. Instead of junk miles, I was putting in focused workouts such as time trials, repeats. THese were measurable, timed and built to judge whether I was increasing my level of fitness or simple training to train.

For the nay sayers, I think you might want to look at Lance's article.
Lance Armstrong reveals his killer workout
http://www.nydailynews.com/...is_killer_worko.html
Check out the equipment in the picture. Seems to resemble the tools used by most CrossFit facilities.

Active Article
http://www.active.com/...Tabata-Intervals.htm

I have trained using the ways of CFE for more than 3 years. I have posted my fastest sprint, olympic, half and full ironman times each year although I continue to get older. For example, I broke the sub 4:35 half, sub 9:45 full, sub 2:55 hr marathon. The difference is I am training 20 hrs less per week, I haven't had an ART treatment in over 2.5 years and feel like a million dollars.

I am sure there will be comments galore and the purpose was to share a real world experience NOT SIMPLY commenting on something I read about nor really understand.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [JEFFREY23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now just imagine how much faster you could be if you actually cut out the crossfit and substituted it with. swimming, biking or running. You would be approaching an elite athlete level!

Don't get me wrong I lift weights, and do other stuff. But that is not the basis of my fitness.

I think if CFE yielded the results everybody claims all the top pro's would be on the bandwagon. heck it would allow them more recovery.

I also think too many people throw everything into junk miles. I real training plan will have not junk miles.

Ask Mark Allen if he was doing junk miles when he was training. He may have been doing 40/hrs per week(I don't know I never have asked him). Do you think those were junk miles?

Ask Lance or Contador or the Schlecks how much volume they do and how much of their volume is junk miles?

You are right they are pros and they can recover.

so let me give you examples of friends on here that are not pro's that train with high volume and are low 9hr Kona Guys. They post here. Heck I met guys that train alot work alot and are 8:40 guys(they do live in Germany and are not pro's). I will not mention their names maybe they will see this and post on it themselves. But they don't do crossfit not one of them. They own their own business and work long hours, or have demanding jobs. But they find time to train just like I do. yes it is a sacrifice. They all do more volume than I do and they are all faster than I am.

So are we to say that if Macca, Normann ,Eneko or Timo were unknown and they said hey we crossfit and broke 9hrs in an IM and I went 4hrs in a 70.3 with low volume and crossfiting are we all going to go join CFE?

The vast majority of people probably would. But if you knew who they were you would know they had bad races. Just breaking 9hrs for them is slow. it is very slow.
They would be falling way short of their potential.

Same thing if Haile or Ryan Hall run a 2:30 Marry on low mileage and Crossfit, will everybody say, see they smoked the marathon? Well they will say that if they don't know them. But if you know who they are they ran about 1min/mile too slow. That would be a pathetic race for them. They would probably lose all their sponsors.

Please don't get me wrong, as I do lift and I even do stuff that may be considered crossfit training. It is just not the base of my training. Nor do I think it helps me as much as swimming, biking and running does in preparation for a triahtlon. But I do try to fit it in my busy work and training schedule. Because I think it has to help me. I just don't feel it can be used as the foundation for training for endurance events.

I don't know why everybody thinks that all endurance athletes don't do any intervals/speed work. I think every good coach/training program will be filled with a fair share of speed/interval work.

Like T says, "Remember it is all about the Bike because it is all about the Run!"
Last edited by: tury: Sep 26, 09 11:56
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [JEFFREY23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you went long for a few years and then you went harder and shorter and had good results? I'm with you that you want your body to be balanced and healthy and if crossfit lets you achieve that then great. But let's not kid outselves. Without an enduance base followed by intensity training you can't go fast in endurance events. If you just went long and slow for a few years, how do you expect to actually go fast on race day ?

So then you spend some time notching up the intensity off your solid base and you have better results in endurance racing? Seems like this is the way it is supposed to work anyway?

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Lieutenant_Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technique applies to cycling and running as well, to become more economical and the best way to become more economical is to spend time tweaking technique while swimming, cycling and running.
There is no substitute for a solid endurance base other than endurance training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this post wont go away, very herpes like. i love the idea of CF and while i am more inclined to do the Gym Jones or Military Athlete due to work, i have been training more volume of swim bike and run due to the fact i will be racing next year. CF and CFE are a good sharpening tool to an already solid base, i know its already been discussed. what irks the hell out of me is that they (CF) post videos of people that have never done CF and tell them> ok do these snatches and thrusters and squat cleans." and then the rookies get smoked and the CF minions look on and laugh and say" we are better than you and we know it and we will show you" i hate it. The CF games champ has only been doing CF for like 18 months or so and dude has said he does 2 or even 3 a days, which goes away from the CF philosophy of hard intense short time workouts. If it works for you do it.

tasty waves and a cool buzz....

Hope is a good thing.... maybe the best of things..... and a good thing never dies.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In Reply To

I have trained using the ways of CFE for more than 3 years. I have posted my fastest sprint, olympic, half and full ironman times each year although I continue to get older. For example, I broke the sub 4:35 half, sub 9:45 full, sub 2:55 hr marathon. The difference is I am training 20 hrs less per week, I haven't had an ART treatment in over 2.5 years and feel like a million dollars.

I am sure there will be comments galore and the purpose was to share a real world experience NOT SIMPLY commenting on something I read about nor really understand.[/reply]
Please provide name, race and year those were achieved. Trust, but verify. Those are pretty damn good times and it's hard to believe that those were accomplished with CFE only.

If You do, I just mght change my thinking and won't get so worked up when I see this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Will132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Will,

Provide your email address and I will forward it off to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Understanding is advanced by looking at athletes at the pinnacle of performance and how they push the envelope of human performance, which CF/CFE is most definitely not.
Very true.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [need4speed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you realize the error of your ways. You are clearly dense.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [seamus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you explain the thought process behind posting a content-free reply to a random post in a thread 4 1/2 years old? Because I'm intrigued and want to know why people do that...

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Jan de Visser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hot Tub Time Machine?

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Jan de Visser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan de Visser wrote:
Can you explain the thought process behind posting a content-free reply to a random post in a thread 4 1/2 years old? Because I'm intrigued and want to know why people do that...

What makes you believe an explanation of the thought process would make any more sense than the post?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that he read the entire thread before posting. It simply took him that long to get through it.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This user has a very unique history of posts. The user has several posts in the classifieds, different stuff for sale, and always coupled with a story of how something has changed and warrants a sell. Has 500 posts and 450 seem to be in the classifieds.

TeamRWB
Louisville Landsharks
follow me on Twitter @mlzervas
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [tsmagnum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like this explanation. And it comes from the Xfit world.

http://www.t-nation.com/...ood-bad-and-the-ugly

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan de Visser wrote:

+1, however, I somehow missed this awesome thread 4 1/2 years ago and definitely got some enjoyment out of it on a Friday in 2014, so I can't complain.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
I really like this explanation. And it comes from the Xfit world.http://www.t-nation.com/...ood-bad-and-the-ugly[/quote[/url]]

Are we really reviving this thing? C'mon, Brian was 6yrs into endurance training at the time of posting, almost 5yrs ago. Now after 11yrs (adding the two), Brian is still irrelevant in the world of triathlon and endurance.

As a weightlifter converting to IM myself, I'll take the shot that if I were a 200lb guy deadlifting 460lbs and back squatting 350, then pulling down an 11:33 IM, I wouldn't brag about it. None are impressive. Master of all, master of none... Not that strong, not that fast, and accomplishing all of that glory in 9hrs a week training? Why did they write an article about it?
Quote Reply

Prev Next