Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my stroke!
Quote | Reply
Im swimming a 1:35/100m pace for my HIM split.

Never really had a formal lesson. Learned to swim when I was 5 and never swam again. Picked up 2 years ago and used swim smooth and YouTube to learn.

Now swim with a masters group and I absolutely suck there. Coach doesnt critique my stoke. Please critique!

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my stroke! [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, there is not enough there to judge. Well, your hands are too spread but your head position is pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have very little width in the front/ middle of your stroke.
Your catch sucks and you basically push straight back dragging a bunch of air with open hands.
Your roll timing is also all over the place, due in large part I would guess to your lack of outsweep and insweep at the front.
You also have a large amount of vertical body movement due to your largely drag dominated swimming style and poor force vectors.
You would easily swim 1:20 at your current fitness if you knew how to swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my stroke! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very encouraging to know I "could" swim 1:20!

How should I improve my catch?

Do you have any videos on YouTube / literature that can possible describe what is width, out-sweep, in-sweep?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1:35/100m--that's not that sucky but a few problems definitely stick out. I respectfully disagree that you have 1:20 speed right now. But a little work will find you 1-5s/100. A few months of practice will bring you down another 3-5s/. These are real big gains at this level but come at a price.

You are (over)gliding too much. There's a distinct pause between strokes you should work to eliminate, and not be quite so violent in the initiation. You can do that by increasing your turnover (start pulling sooner) and slowing down your pull a touch to keep hold of the water while your other arm recovers and starts to pull (less slowing down).
Why are your fingers so splayed apart? They should be more or less together and flat. Think paddling a canoe, not raking leaves.
Your right hand is crossing over a little (in front of your head). Your Left looks ok. I'm guessing it's breathing imbalance combined with overreaching.
Your catch doesn't look that bad from the front, but view from the side/top might be informative. Your legs don't look like they're dragging, but would need to see other angles too.
I'm no qualified swim instructor, so take all this with a grain of salt. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my stroke! [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Habit regarding my fingers :/

Thanks for your comments!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GGdzSc-s68

Slight different angle and my race pace. Please critique!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd second the overgliding observation.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok crossover not too bad. But you're not rotating enough. You're pulling shoulders back a lot to compensate and get your hands clear of the surface, throwing your body out of alignment, causing you to snake a bit. This will take some time to fix so play with it and go slowly to maintain balance.

Working on kicking will help too. Long term project.

Don't want to sound too negative though. These are points to address not like complete overhauls. And again, just an opinion -J

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
1:35/100m--that's not that sucky but a few problems definitely stick out. I respectfully disagree that you have 1:20 speed right now. But a little work will find you 1-5s/100. A few months of practice will bring you down another 3-5s/. These are real big gains at this level but come a price.

I stand by my comments.
I've taken plenty of 1:35 swimmers down to 1:20 with a few weeks of guidance.
Especially easy when you have a stroke like the original posters.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my stroke! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great--let's get him there!
Second video is up, curious what you see.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see that he needs a new camera.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my opinion.... the only really important angle for good teaching moment stroke analysis is underwater and from the side. Following you if possible.

This is unfortunately not very usefull and i would not trust any advice given with that angle.. i m seeing a lot of bad advise in this thread

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: Oct 19, 17 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you mounting the camera (Go Pro?)--can you use the same set up from the side like jonnyo suggests & re-post more video from that angle? (Looks like a bit long of a pause before the catch to start with.) Congrats on the progress you've made & commitment to becoming better by even posting here--a step of determination.
Quote Reply