Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my planned bike purchase
Quote | Reply
Hi STers. I figure there is a LOT more insight and knowledge on this forum than I have by miles. I'd love any suggestions on the bike build I am doing. Please note, I have had a bad head on collision with a car due to failed rim brakes (I settled with the manufacturer) and disc brakes are very important to me, please I don't want this to turn into a rim vs disc thread, just accept my own personal choice on this aspect of it please. By the way, I'm 5'10", 155lbs and am a MOP participant at USAT National/ HIM World Championships. I ride a 13 year old bike. My priorities in selection are: 1. aerodynamics (if relevant) 2. friction (if relevant) 3. price 4. weight (way below the other factors, but I don't want to ignore it).

Frame: Quintana Roo PR 6 Disc
Crank/PM: Quarq Dzero 167.5 MM
Bottom Bracket: Hawk Racing BB30
Chainring: Fibre-Lyte 50T (I could go a different size. I average around 21 to 22 MPH in HIM+ races, 23 in Oly races.)
Chain: Wipperman Connec 11SX optimized by Premier
Cassette: 11-32 SRAM Red
RD: SRAM etap WIfli
FD: None!!!
Brakes: SRAM S-900 hyraulic or TRP hydraulic - neither are out and I haven't decided
Disc rotor: Aishama Ai2
Aero bars: Morf (if they launch it) - if not, I am limited as the TriRig Alpha X or anything else with an integrated stem is not compatible
Wheels: BladeX SDM (these are not common, but I really like their wheels and the price and if I have to give somewhere to price, this was where I did it in order to make sure I still have a wife a year or two from now!) It was either other wheels and no powermeter or these/other cheaper wheels and a PM and I prefer to have a PM.
Tires: Vittoria Corsa Speed (for racing only)

I already have a seat and pedals that I'll bring over from my current bike (Dash and Look Keo Blade 20)

I'll probably use an 11-36 SRAM force cassette and a wolftooth extender on a trainer pair of wheels because I live in a hilly area and I could use that 36T ring for training.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my planned bike purchase [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a huge upgrade. As long as it fits, and you know it fits, then I can't imagine anyone criticizing your choices. I assume you are buying the frame and building it up with the options specified.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like HuffNPuff said, as long as it fits. Since you didn't mention fit, get one. This is the opportunity to make sure that nothing has changed post accident and ensure that you will be happy in the long term.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my planned bike purchase [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, working with a bike first, very important for sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry bike fitter nor bike first, auto correct, grrr

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QR had a couple of these bikes on display in Kona, it was a great bike as a rim brake option, but now they're essentially one of only a handful of companies offering disc TT bikes, especially at their starting price point.

As for the brake levers/calipers, I thought the TRP's felt super nice, and likely is what I would choose. The SRAM brakes didn't appear to have a way to integrate the blips any differently than a non Sram brake.

Solid build...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna give a thumbs down to your fiberlyte chainring... they don't last for shat... going from big ring to small is also an issue (i.e. they shift like crap compared to other rings) your doing 1x... but still.. they don't last. (race day only maybe)
Last edited by: spntrxi: Oct 24, 17 20:09
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my planned bike purchase [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice on the TRP brakes and the Fyber lyte chainring.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea on timeline but I know Flo is working on disc brake wheels. Those will probably be cheaper and faster than the bladex ones. They're not out yet though, as far as I know at least. Other than that, that new frame looks sweet and I'm sure it'll be awesome to ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that you can safely skip the 1x nonsense. ETap front shifting is just plain awesome.
Other than that, if you are settled on the disk brakes, then this is a solid choice.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you end up getting the Fibre-Lyte chainring(s)?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is an old thread, but..........I doubt your tire and rim choice will play nicely together.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my planned bike purchase [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't gotten the Fibre Lytes yet. I picked up a cheap SRAM Force 50T 1x chainring that I am putting on for training at least. I think the Fibre Lyte will be fine for a 1X system as there is no front shifting, just haven't gotten it yet.

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my planned bike purchase [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex,

Have you used a 1x system and offering your thoughts based on that? I could be wrong, but I sense a dislike to disc brakes and 1x. Did you have a bad experience with both of them?

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my planned bike purchase [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle,

tubeless set ups can be tough. Is there a reason why you say the rim and tire won't do well together?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
Is there a reason why you say the rim and tire won't do well together?

I clicked on their site (because I had never heard of them and was curious) and immediately saw their rim cross sectional graphic. Those tubeless Corsa Speeds are an absolute bear to get on a rim without the tubeless specific dropped center channel. If they are 'for racing' only you are either going to be switching tires occasionally (another reason not to go tubeless) or they will be sitting unused and deflate. Another perk of the 'bead shelf' for a tubeless specific rim is to keep the system sealed when it loses pressures and your sealant won't try out as quickly. A rim like the one pictured at your link will allow air to get in as the tire loses pressure and will dry out your sealant in a hurry. This will create a (further) unbalanced wheel and will require a new application of sealant and a hit from the compressor before every race.

Edit: I see SDM advertises their wheels as tubeless ready, but none of their pictures would lead me to believe that. So there's a bit of a red flag either way.
Last edited by: dangle: Dec 18, 17 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you dangle, that was incredibly helpful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are set on tubeless and that bike has thru axles, it would be hard to ignore the two aero disc-brake wheels from HED that are both available for half their normal price. Check out the top two options at https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/search.jsp?q=hed&s=u&sort=-discountpercent. 10% off on top of that (today). Some of the fastest wheels in existence with tax and shipping for under $1000. A disc cover will work if you take the brake rotor off too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a pretty good deal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put a pair on a Flo 60/disc with a koolstop bead jack. They popped right on without much fuss at all. Yes, it would've been real tough to do it with just thumbs.

After they mount up and stretch a bit, they are not much worse than any other tire...definitely able to remove and replace with a normal lever.

Are you talking from personal experience or repeating? (It certainly is on here a lot!) I just don't think they deserve as much grief as they get.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my planned bike purchase [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
I put a pair on a Flo 60/disc with a koolstop bead jack. They popped right on without much fuss at all. Yes, it would've been real tough to do it with just thumbs.

The conversation is about non-tubeless rims. You are talking about tubeless-specific rims.

dfroelich wrote:
Are you talking from personal experience or repeating? (It certainly is on here a lot!) I just don't think they deserve as much grief as they get.

I had some of the first ones out there. I have been on road tubeless since 2010 and have tried many different tires and wheels. The Corsa Speeds definitely deserve their reputation. Wicked fast and fairly fragile. They are not significantly worse than other road tubeless tires when it comes to mounting, but they will definitely be a lot of hassle to slip onto a non-tubeless rim.

The emphasis was on downsides of that combo would be if he was switching tires frequently or the race setup sat for weeks at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my planned bike purchase [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
No idea on timeline but I know Flo is working on disc brake wheels. Those will probably be cheaper and faster than the bladex ones. They're not out yet though, as far as I know at least. Other than that, that new frame looks sweet and I'm sure it'll be awesome to ride.

They are on the container right now. Should be in our warehouse before the end of the year. 6 bolt options are on this container and centerlock will soon follow.

I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply