Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my fit and get me a hydration solution / BTA (please)
Quote | Reply
Been reading slowtwitch for some time now, thnx for all the info! About time I ask you for some help. I'll try to be as specific as I can be, and provide you with all the info needed. Need more, let me know :)

I'll start with some generic info, questions will follow further down :)

Generic info
1,5 years ago, I started triathlon. Well actually, I started learning how to swim.... Did my first 1/4 in march 2016, followed by 3 more 1/4's (2.06 fastest time) and 3 x 70.3's in 2016. Highlights were Ironman Pescara 70.3 and Halve Challenge Amsterdam-Almere. IM Pescara 70.3 got the swimtime nullified due to the fact that the swim got cancelled because of the thunder/storm/wind (after I was in the water - I finished the swim). Challenge Amsterdam took me 5 hours in hot weather and 2 months after our daughter got born. Think I would be able to do a 70.3 in about 4:50 at this moment.

Run times:
PR on semi marathon is 1.21:20
PR on marathon is 3.09:11
This years best is 1.24:21 on half marathon

Bike times:
Been slow this year. Did Bilzen111 triathlon a month ago with avg of 36km/h. Guess/hope Frankfurt will be in the 34-36 range.

Swim:
Intervals at 1.35/100mtr
3km in pool (25 mtr, wetsuit) in 1.50/100mtr.

This year I'll do Ironman Frankfurt 140.6 (9th of July), and I'm not sure how to cope with hydration.

I ride a FSM Chrono, which basically is a open mould frame used by a lot of small brands. Pictures below. I ride a M (think 54), fitted with SRAM Force 10sp, SRAM RtC shifters, FSA NEO PRO Carbon 54/42 crank, Ron Wheels Disc and FFWD f6r front wheel. The brakes (trp) suck, that's why I'm on rims with alloy braketracks.

Picture:

Question 1 - BTA / Hydration
This is the plan for IM Frankfurt:
1 x aero bottle on the downtube (SIS sport drink)
2 x cage behind the saddle, 1 x tools/tires 1 x 750ml SIS sport drink (when empty, replace with water provided at aid station)

1 x BTA --> this is the problem. The BTA I have now pretty much sucks (Bontdrager, unknown type). It splashes, moves, and takes a lot of space. It's not only horizontal, but vertical as well.

So I'm in the market for a new BTA solution, but there are a lot of choices (which are not all available in The Netherlands). Reading Slowtwitch let me to believe that a horizontal BTA is virtually aero neutral. And even if a small penalty is to be expected, it's not the end of the world (I need to drink anyway).

Basically there are two systems I'm interested in:
  • BTA with just a normal bottle, so I need to buy a system that fits my aerobars and holds a 750ml bottle. Would need to hold my garmin as well. I read good things about XLAB Torpedo Kompact (€ 55,00).

• BTA with a 'special' bottle, with a straw. I think I would prefer this over the BTA with a normal bottle. Drinking while staying aero seems favourable, all though filling up the BTA on the fly would take some (non aero) time as well. Might be a neglectable effect. Thinking about the XLAB Torpedo 200 or 500 (€80,00 and € 150,00, which is a lot of money to hydrate).

What do you recon: what BTA should I get? And have you got other options/recommendations?

Question 2 - the fit
On the picture above is my current config. The picture below is a bit older. In the picture below my seat is too high (seriously). I changed from a 172,5 crank to the 170 crank shown above. Furthermore I dropped my saddle about 5mm (making a total change of 7,5mm):

Since dropping my seat I ride more comfortable and it feels easier to deliver power.

Would you change anything else given that:
a) my seat is allready down now
b) my sadle can't move forward
c) arm pads can't go back, nor more inwards
d) I won't be buying a new bike now (next one will be fitted better, prob a size down. Interested in Premier Tactical and Trek SC, not based on measurements, just on reviews and my expectations about aeroness)
e) new tri-suite (with short sleeves and zipper in front) is allready ordered
f) a new helmet is not really a option. I really like this one, and budget is a bit low after last 1,5 years of investing in tri-stuff :)

Any low hanging fruit I'm missing?

Question 3 - bento
I would like a solid/hard bento box on my top tube, but I can't find any available in The Netherlands (at least, not a generic one, just Trek stuff).

Anybody knows a good, available, bento box option? Must hold 5+ gels/bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit and get me a hydration solution / BTA (please) [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. zip ties..... and a normal bottle between aerobar.... simple and most of the time better than the commercial system. keep it simple. There is way to put the computer on top of the bottle cage so you have direct view of it.

2. If you want good advise...something worth for you to even listen, take the time to take a few proper picture with you holding the bars properly...and camera exactly perpendicular to you... the energy you put into it will yield you some hopefully proper advice.

but with the current picture.... guess work...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit and get me a hydration solution / BTA (please) [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't tell anything from that picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit and get me a hydration solution / BTA (please) [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would be the easiest way of posting a vid?
Quote Reply