Critique my fit.. Very curious. ADDED VIDEO
Quote | Reply
Go for it:

ADDED VIDEO:

Last edited by: Fusion: Oct 16, 17 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit.. Very curious. [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not horrible. You could use some more hip rotation. This will flatten the back and could take pressure off your lower back. Sometimes this is associated with an uncomfortable seat that puts too much pressure on the soft tissue. You roll your hips backward to reduce pressure.

If you have seat comfort issues the first trick would be to tilt it down a bit and see if that is an improvement.

Another solution is to bring the seat down and back a bit. This seems to be a trick used by a lot of those crazy aero U.K. TTers YRMV.

The general rule of thumb is the angling the arms up at 5 degrees is a bit faster for most people.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit.. Very curious. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Not horrible. You could use some more hip rotation. This will flatten the back and could take pressure off your lower back. Sometimes this is associated with an uncomfortable seat that puts too much pressure on the soft tissue. You roll your hips backward to reduce pressure.

If you have seat comfort issues the first trick would be to tilt it down a bit and see if that is an improvement.

Another solution is to bring the seat down and back a bit. This seems to be a trick used by a lot of those crazy aero U.K. TTers YRMV.

The general rule of thumb is the angling the arms up at 5 degrees is a bit faster for most people.

Actually it's funny you say that, because I've been having issues with saddles and tried 13 different ones.. and this seat is the most comfort i've had in ages!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Fixing the flappy number and getting an aero helmet is going to save you nearly 3 minutes per 40K. So I wouldn't even worry about the fit until you fix those things.

Now when you do get to the fit... note that the top of your back is higher than the top of your head and shoulders. So you may as well let your head and shoulders go up. Just raise your bars 2-3cm. Your drag will barely change and you'll probably have a lot more power.

I'm not sure I buy the "roll your hips forward" line that everybody here spouts. The truth is that's only do-able if you're riding really short distances or you lack gonads.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit.. Very curious. [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

or you lack gonads.

lol people on this site really hate their nuts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may be personal, but I've been able to achieve a much different body position all based around the saddle allowing the increased forward pressure to be sustainable. I manage to get the boys out of the way well enough, but the right taint relief makes all the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you riding on the wrong side of the road? with your head down? otherwise, looks pretty good.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you got the stamp of approval from Slowman....so you or your fitter did a very good job ! Look good

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 testicle on either side of seat or do the balls hang 'off the front'?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit.. Very curious. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
are you riding on the wrong side of the road? with your head down? otherwise, looks pretty good.

What is interesting to me looking at his picture is his knees seem to be way higher than mine. Am I looking at that wrong.

And why no comments on my fit post? :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I think your seat needs to go slightly back and a slight more rotation. I have been through a lot of seats too and settled on a Dash. Then going too a split nose had me confused for a long time and finding that feeling with as one of John Cobb's saddles is named JOF until it was like wow that is it. It is hard to tell without seeing your legs at full extension IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit.. Very curious. [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies.
As for the helmet: i like my evade because I mostly do races with 1500m+ of climbing.
The number: i fixed that later on the bikeleg

Slowman wrote:

It was a closed single lane road. And thanks, I've been working with a lot of people to get to this position and i'm really happy with it.

Shambolic wrote:
Personally I think your seat needs to go slightly back and a slight more rotation. I have been through a lot of seats too and settled on a Dash. Then going too a split nose had me confused for a long time and finding that feeling with as one of John Cobb's saddles is named JOF until it was like wow that is it. It is hard to tell without seeing your legs at full extension IMO.

I've tried every type of saddle (split, long, short, wide, narrow,...) you can find, including cobb. None worked for me.
I'm actually riding a Pro Vulture at the moment, which is a mountainbike saddle. Couldn't be happier with it, so honestly, after trying 13 saddles, i'll settle for some less rotation and enjoy my rides without feeling absolutely miserable in the lower regions (i'm talking bleeding wounds here).
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit.. Very curious. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
What is interesting to me looking at his picture is his knees seem to be way higher than mine. Am I looking at that wrong

that isn't a point in space to be concerned with. have YOU made adjustments to YOUR fit for a round 2? you don't need dan to tell you that your fit is awful, all of ST just did that. lots of low hanging fruit to stop being so bad at the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
Fixing the flappy number and getting an aero helmet is going to save you nearly 3 minutes per 40K. So I wouldn't even worry about the fit until you fix those things.

Now when you do get to the fit... note that the top of your back is higher than the top of your head and shoulders. So you may as well let your head and shoulders go up. Just raise your bars 2-3cm. Your drag will barely change and you'll probably have a lot more power.

I'm not sure I buy the "roll your hips forward" line that everybody here spouts. The truth is that's only do-able if you're riding really short distances or you lack gonads.

I am a big believer in trying to roll the hips forward if possible because it does three things:
1. It flattens the back which may reduce the low pressure area behind your butt
2. It makes it much easier to look up the road. His back is concave down but the neck needs to be concave up to look up the road. Much less neck strain which helps for the run as well
3. If the curve in the lower back is associated with saddle comfort, then your final position should be more comfortable.

Whether it is possible is another issue. Maybe the back is really inflexible or the crank arms are too long so the arch is necessary for the knee/rib cage clearance.

Your suggestion for raising the bars is probably spot on if he can't improve the hip rotation though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Go for it:

What does your hip angle look like when your pedal is at top dead center? Seems like it might be awfully tight.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first reaction is that the bike is a size too small, but maybe not.

That color of th p3 has always been my favorite. I was bummed when it didn't fit me.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit.. Very curious. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Fusion wrote:
Go for it:

What does your hip angle look like when your pedal is at top dead center? Seems like it might be awfully tight.

My thought exactly. Let's see a video. I'd bet money he needs shorter cranks
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit.. Very curious. [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

I might try to make a video later this week. Care to explain the shorter crank idea?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.cervelo.com/...spin-on-crank-length

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Fusion wrote:
Go for it:

And what DATA do you have to support his needs for shorter cranks?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
kileyay wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Fusion wrote:
Go for it:

Data: visually, it appears as though OP is experiencing a physical limitation due the crank length. This limitation could reduce power (if there is actually a limitation), reduce run durability (see above), and raise aerodynamic drag (if hypothetical limitation is impeding athlete from experiencing an optimized position).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
kileyay wrote:

I might try to make a video later this week. Care to explain the shorter crank idea?

It just looks to me like your hip angle is super closed for where the crank arm is, which is around 2 o'clock. So I want to see what your hip angle looks like when your crank arm is at 12 o'clock. Is your knee basically touching your chest?

Closed hip angle can be a red herring, and without more photos/videos, it's really hard to diagnose the cause. For instance, I can't tell whether your saddle height is appropriate, because I can't see 6 o'clock either. Maybe your seat is too low and that is why your hip angle is a little more closed off.

By the way, take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm not a fitter, I just play one on the internet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming a hip angle of 95 degrees at the bottom of the pedal stroke, what hip angle are we looking for at the top of the pedal stroke?

In other words, what relationships tell us when to consider a shorter crank?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
kileyay wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Fusion wrote:
Go for it:

Against all my instincts of responding to trolls, have you read this?

link

Determinants of maximal cycling power: crank length, pedaling rate and pedal speed

• J.C. Martin
  • W.W. Spirduso

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Fusion wrote:
Go for it:

Video has been added!
Quote Reply

Prev Next