Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critique my fit!
Quote | Reply
I'm simply looking for some comments on my fit. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [Mouflon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks good
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
looks good

+1, angles all look good

I'd go with a higher cadence though.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Haven't been on FT for a while, so I only know the old way of critiquing fit:

1) Those blinds look cheap. Invest in some nice Duette blinds before you buy any more bike gear.

2) Elliptical trainers are so 90s.

3) Your seat is too high. Seriously, it is. Not by much, but it is too high.

4) The video stamp says TT. If you are competing in a UCI or US Cycling sanctioned TT, your seat is almost certainly further forward than the rules allow. Either way, your entire body north of your coccyx and one of your ankles is in front of the BB. Great if that works, but don't hit that front brake too hard.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your front wheel block is too low.
Your shorts are too short, I can see pasty white lines.

Something odd is happening at the top of your right leg motion. (watch your shoulders)
There is some muscle tightness somewhere that needs to be addressed or possibly a cleat positioning problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see that too, maybe needs shorter cranks cause at the upper end of his stroke the "pinching" at the hip is pushing his shoulder up?

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Last edited by: mooseknuckle69: Nov 30, 16 17:45
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mooseknuckle69 wrote:
I see that too, maybe needs shorter cranks cause at the upper end of his stroke the "pinching" at the hip is pushing his shoulder up?

The 'need' for shorter cranks would show on both sides.
Jens has suggested a high seat, but his torso raises at the bottom of the stroke on the left side, so I don't agree.

I would be interested to see a shot from above to see how square his pelvis is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
The 'need' for shorter cranks would show on both sides.
Jens has suggested a high seat, but his torso raises at the bottom of the stroke on the left side, so I don't agree.

That's a very good point. It looks like his toes are dropping a little on the right side, which is what was suggesting a high seat to me. But looking at it again, it appears his foot stays pretty flat at the bottom on the left side (as best as I can see). Maybe a leg length discrepancy?

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that is simply that he is tight in his right bum/hamstring muscles causing a functional imbalance.
I don't think there is anything deeper and structural to it.
The Hamstring crosses both joints so as he tries to bring his foot across the top of the stroke it needs to lengthen and is not doing a good job of it.

He may also have his right cleat further forward on his shoe and not realise it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plug your video into http://trophy-box.com/...fit/perspective.html see what it says...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, after watching it again full screen, the torso lift seems to be generated from the left side, like he is still pushing down on the pedal when it is almost bottomed out.
I would love to see the cleats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both cleats are as far back on the shoes as possible and also as far to the outside of the sole as possible. I have Morton's neuroma issues so they are back to limit pressure on the matatarsials and on the outside to be as narrow as I can.

Often, I realise that my right foot is ''jumping'' at the top of the stroke. The bottom of my right foot doesn't touch the sole of the shoe at the top of the stroke. Maybe that's what I'm doing here... I'll post another video tonight and a pic of the cleats.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mouflon wrote:
Both cleats are as far back on the shoes as possible and also as far to the outside of the sole as possible. I have Morton's neuroma issues so they are back to limit pressure on the matatarsials and on the outside to be as narrow as I can.

Often, I realise that my right foot is ''jumping'' at the top of the stroke. The bottom of my right foot doesn't touch the sole of the shoe at the top of the stroke. Maybe that's what I'm doing here... I'll post another video tonight and a pic of the cleats.

Interesting, I also have a Mortons neuroma due to a Lisfrank injury on my right foot, but I find my shoes all the way out and forward is far better.
I find that any pressure further back activates the neuroma and that even though the forward outward cleat position loads up my Lisfranc injury, a good stiff sole can support it.

Are you having knee tracking weirdness on the right side?
If you look down at your knee from your riding position can you see the knee turn inward on the right leg at the top of the stroke?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my cleats are further to the front, I have pain in the foot (Morton) but further back, pain is replaced by numbness... which I've grown accustomed to.

Here is a video from the front:

Another video from the side (with longer shorts... I'm improving!):

Pics of my cleats:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, back online after storms blew up my internet.
Have a look at the sideways shot.
You can see that just after the right leg starts to rise on the upstroke, there is a strange twisting thing happening at the ankle.
Now have a look at the frontside shot.
You can see that the right knee begins to drift out at the same point.
The cleats are restricting the ankle from moving out and this is stopping the knee from staying in.

Just try it, twist your heel out as you move the leg up and your knee will track inward.

Now, looking at your cleats, for frucks sake stop walking around in them.
First, fit some new ones and see if your mashed up cleats were causing the problem.
If no different, then twist the cleat a little to allow the ankle to come out and see if that helps.

Is there any reason why you use the 2 deg float blue cleat instead of the standard yellow?
Just switching to yellow may also be all you need.

More.
Do you have orthotics for your running shoes?
Do you have anything in your cycling shoes apart from the standard insoles?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
olmec wrote:
plug your video into http://trophy-box.com/...fit/perspective.html see what it says...

Cool application. Is this your software project? If so, wouldn't mind seeing a thread started to provide feedback and discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mouflon wrote:

Have you been diagnosed with the Morton's Neuroma? I looked up the symptoms I was experiencing (felt like I had a pebble under my foot - started about a week ago) and that's what came up. I haven't gone to a doctor for it just yet. What have you done for it?

I apologize if I am high jacking your thread.

Don't drown, don't crash, don't trip.
Last edited by: d.zo: Dec 5, 16 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
olmec wrote:

Cool application. Is this your software project? If so, wouldn't mind seeing a thread started to provide feedback and discussion.

Hey Grumpier.Mike,

Thanks for your comment. Its something I whipped up when I was bored and uncomfortable on my bike. Web apps are so incredibly versatile—I can't fathom why folk still spend buckets of cash developing customised applications for the myriad collection of devices and operating systems when you can get it all done in the browser.

Would love all the comments and feedback I can get; was thinking about making a cda estimator too (from a photo). I'm almost there (using one of the region-growing clustering methods) with a little closed loop validation from some openfoam models I've made.

Are there any other tools you might need? (I'm looking for a new challenge)

Take care, M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see the twisting you are talking about, but on my left leg. I guess you meant the leg we see on the right in the video or I am seeing it wrong.

I switched to my old yellow cleats. I used the blue ones since I liked the feeling of my feet not moving on the pedals. But the float might be a good thing after all. Here is a close up with the yellow cleats:

In the next video, I am ''forcing'' my heel to the outside. I do feel the knee is straighter that way but I am afraid of injuries if I turn my cleat a bit to replicate that. I understand that it must be better for the knee but what about the ankle?

I have nothing in my cycling and running shoes other than the standard insoles. I have tried different insoles in my cycling shoed to relieve the Morton's neuroma pain but it changed nothing until I moved my cleats back.

Again, Thanks for the feedback. I would never have seen my twisting ankle.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [d.zo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is diagnosed.

Running: I did nothing except buy wider shoes. The pain comes and goes and I learned to live with it and not modify my stride (since this would probably lead to injuries somewhere else). Basically, the pain from Morton's neuroma is not dangerous, just annoying. When it hurts, increase your pace so it will hurt somewhere else.

Cycling: Moving my cleats back made the pain go away but it is replaced by numbness in some of the toes. The numbness is annoying but goes away rather quickly (less than a minute) once off the bike. Again, when it becomes annoying, I simply find a steep hill to climb so I have another kind of pain to focus on.

Swimming: It prevents me from swimming. I simply need an excuse for not swimming enough...

Keep in mind that symptoms and ''cures'' varies a lot between individuals.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [d.zo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d.zo wrote:
Mouflon wrote:

Have you been diagnosed with the Morton's Neuroma? I looked up the symptoms I was experiencing (felt like I had a pebble under my foot - started about a week ago) and that's what came up. I haven't gone to a doctor for it just yet. What have you done for it?

I had great success using the following taping technique with KT Tape (can use any brand though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqgQF4D792g

Note - I don't believe this works because of any vodoo-mojo KT tape has....I believe it is the mechanical principle of the tape in between the toes which helps keep them from collapsing together and causing the neuroma (complete layman speculation, but this is the only time kineseotape has ever helped me and seems to make sense)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
d.zo wrote:
Mouflon wrote:

I had great success using the following taping technique with KT Tape (can use any brand though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqgQF4D792g

Note - I don't believe this works because of any vodoo-mojo KT tape has....I believe it is the mechanical principle of the tape in between the toes which helps keep them from collapsing together and causing the neuroma (complete layman speculation, but this is the only time kineseotape has ever helped me and seems to make sense)

Power13, I doubt you have a mortons neuroma.
Just now sitting here whilst I type, if I wriggle my foot around a bit while it is sitting on the floor, I can feel tingles or numbness on the inside of my two outer toes.
Nothing like a stone in the shoe.
Skinny shoes are killer and got thrown in the bin.

The usual diagnosis for this is simply to grab the two outer toes and foot just behind in one hand, and the rest of the foot in the other and move the outer toes up and down.
You will feel the nerves being annoyed by the neuroma with tingling and numbness or worse if you put enough pressure and move it in just the right way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From those videos, I say throw the blue cleats and use the yellow.
The knee motions are well within normal with the yellows on.

These particular videos do highlight that you drop your right heel far more than the left.
That is what was giving the impression to others of the seat being a little high, the amount the ankle changed angle as it come out of the dropped heel position.

Have you damaged your right ankle sometime in the past?
Is it naturally more flexible than the other one?
Old Basketball injury?

When did you first notice the neuroma?
Running cycling or just walking around?
Is there any particular happening that may have started the neuroma?

(when I say right leg I mean YOUR right leg, not the observers)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks

Don't drown, don't crash, don't trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't think of an injury that might have affected the flexibility of my ankle(s). When I was young, I used to snowboard, skateboard and rollerblade. If anything, I think my right ankle should be more flexible than the left. Never did any sport that involed running/cycling/swimming before I was around 27. Also, if I try to flex my ankles in any direction, they seem equally flexible to my eye.

The neuroma started while cycling. Pain in some of my toes but managable... I then started having real pain while running. I eventually saw a doctor since it didn't go away. I bought wider running shoes, which made the pain go away (Magic!). It sometimes comes back for a few minutes while running even with wide shoes, but it usually goes away pretty quickly without needing to stop. I then bought wider cycling shoes and wear them ''looser'' and it helped while cycling. Moving the cleats back then replaced pain with simply numbness of some toes.

When I hike, I also feel it after a very long day or a few days hiking in a row. My boots are wide enough but with the bigger socks and hard sole (La Sportiva Mountaineering boots), I eventually start feeling pain.
Quote Reply

Prev Next