Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critique my TT and Road fit
Quote | Reply
TT FIT: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ry7pc

Road bike fit with "Balance Test" http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3rxot5

Just some notes, with the selle smp saddle moving it back and forward doesn't change leg extension angle due to the slope of the rails
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my TT and Road fit [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To my (non-professional) eye, you look good in the drops and it seems like you can probably get lower when on the hoods. Your back is nicely flat in both positions, telling me that you aren't straining when lower. I would try bending your elbows more when in the hoods to move toward forearms that are parallel to the ground. Neck strain will tell you if you are pushing up against the limit of your flexibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a pro here and my old laptop gives lousy quality on your legs, but it looks nice on the TT. (In no way am I going to speculate on the road bike.) But, given the all the talk here about upturned extensions.......and Andrew Coggans pictures in that same thread...?
And, is it comfortable (it appears so). If it's not, your going to lose power or aerodynamics getting up and down a lot.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You look comfortable and smooth to me. Are you running short cranks? If not, then I'm impressed with how little leg motion you need to get the pedals around. You appear to be tall, but not that tall.

A couple things: On the TT bike you are going to wear a helmet, so wear it in the video and look as you would while riding. It's an important part of your position. Some things I'd experiment with are elbows closer and angled extensions. Also try getting lower in the front since it appears that you could pretty easily.

On the road bike I'd make sure you have a comfortable position that gives you a flat back.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my TT and Road fit [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
175s on the TT bike and 170s on the road bike and I'm 6ft 3 192cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
You look comfortable and smooth to me. Are you running short cranks? If not, then I'm impressed with how little leg motion you need to get the pedals around. You appear to be tall, but not that tall.

A couple things: On the TT bike you are going to wear a helmet, so wear it in the video and look as you would while riding. It's an important part of your position. Some things I'd experiment with are elbows closer and angled extensions. Also try getting lower in the front since it appears that you could pretty easily.

On the road bike I'd make sure you have a comfortable position that gives you a flat back.

I think if I pull the pads inwards or angle them up that will pull me forward a bit more making me lower but then I could have saddle issues due to a different contact point or my butt will stay in place and my arms maybe angled more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drop spacers, listen to rruff.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok this is where I at now I lowered the saddle 15mm it was a bit too high my hamstrings were feeling it in high intensity

I have angled the elbow pads up 7degrees and the tri bars are now narrow as possible
Btw thats an adjustable stem

Last edited by: SamYO: Mar 10, 16 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
Ok this is where I at now I lowered the saddle 15mm it was a bit too high my hamstrings were feeling it in high intensity

I have angled the elbow pads up 7degrees and the tri bars are now narrow as possible
Btw thats an adjustable stem

TT fit looks outstanding to my eyes in a 60 second skim of the video and the picture with the changes you've made. From the video my only comment was to maybe consider ski-bends. Your wrist position looked a bit uncomfortable, but if that's all I have to say I'm really just splitting hairs.

Keep your head low and race with confidence.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd work on dropping the bars quite a lot, and the saddle a little more. Gradual. Since you are doing TTs it's all W/CdA. You probably have a ways to go before you optimize that ratio.

I'm guessing you don't have a PM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I'd work on dropping the bars quite a lot, and the saddle a little more. Gradual. Since you are doing TTs it's all W/CdA. You probably have a ways to go before you optimize that ratio.

I'm guessing you don't have a PM?

I'm testing the position on track tomorrow. My concern is that if I go lower ill have to use even more neck extension to look upwards

No, dont have a PM riding on feel makes alot more fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the TT my only feedback is see if you can angle the aerobar up. I have done this recently and my comfort went way up and my speed at same wattage went up about .3-.5 MPH over a known course. I did have to raise my arm pads a bit due to the angle affectively dropping me a bit.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride on feel too, but the PM is very valuable for field testing.

Neck craning isn't fun, but we manage by turtling and peering though the eyebrows. The courses I'm on aren't technical so I don't look fully up very often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Neck craning isn't fun, but we manage by turtling and peering though the eyebrows. The courses I'm on aren't technical so I don't look fully up very often.

Do you think going lower will get me that srugg position head between shoulders?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It helps me pull my shoulders in and down, and keep a good torso angle, if there is a lot of drop. If I relax the shoulders then my torso drops down and it's more uncomfortable.

Everybody is different. If that doesn't work for you, there are other things you can try. But getting low and narrow however you can is a good starting point. Jim@ERO says a 15deg forearm angle is a good start as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Quick question as ive lowered the saddle 15mm if i I lower the spacer by 15m would I keep the exact angles?

Like this video it seems im bit wider/bigger in the chest compared to the lowered 15mm saddle picture

I also think i need put the pads towards me more and the extensions out a bit as my wrist get crunched up a bit

Does anyone happen to have a program that can measure my leg angle, foot angle and torso and arm angle?
Last edited by: SamYO: Mar 10, 16 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lowering the front the same as the back should be close to the same angles, yes. But I think you could go a lot lower in front.

If you want to go fast, lower your saddle too, but take that one slow and carefully. Your legs are very unaero cylinders running broadside to the wind. Don't worry about the angles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I'll need to look for some 1cm x 4 spacers to replace That 4cm aero block spacer I will try get a video up tomorrow with the 4cm spacer removed to see what and feels like. What do you mean by legs are unaero too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legs contribute a lot of your total aero drag. You are better off erring on the low side for saddle height. Less projected area, "cylinders" at an angle rather than perpendicular, feet more level and toes not so pointed down.

Maximize W/CdA. After adaptation... that's the tricky part. If you road race with climbing though, you won't want to sacrifice power to get more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Legs contribute a lot of your total aero drag. You are better off erring on the low side for saddle height. Less projected area, "cylinders" at an angle rather than perpendicular, feet more level and toes not so pointed down.

Maximize W/CdA. After adaptation... that's the tricky part. If you road race with climbing though, you won't want to sacrifice power to get more aero.

20mm lower front end

40mm lower front end (feel like im falling forward)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:

40mm lower front end (feel like im falling forward)

Sam,

I think if you tilt your aero bars up closer to the 15* up that rruff and Jim M. have mentioned you will likely feel a lot less like you're falling forward. Your position is definitely looking better.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my TT and Road fit [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My torso angle is 8 degrees the one with the hat on and 9 degrees with 20mm spacers If i tilt the bars up 15degree (another 7degree up from where they are) I'm sure ill be close to a 0 degree torso angle to the ground
Last edited by: SamYO: Mar 11, 16 5:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SamYO wrote:
My torso angle is 8 degrees the one with the hat on and 9 degrees with 20mm spacers If i tilt the bars up 15degree (another 7degree up from where they are) I'm sure ill be close to a 0 degree torso angle to the ground

Depending on the geometry of your pads, you may well need to add back a spacer if you tilt the aero bars up. If you're happy with your torso angle than this is likely the case. Perhaps just a 1/2cm would even do the trick.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply

Prev Next