Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Crazy lap pool idea
Quote | Reply
Someday I would love to have a 25m pool in my backyard when I purchase a home. Obviously a lot of factors would go into if that is feasible, one of which would be the width of your lot. Here is a wild idea i came up with, what if you built a pool that is a one lane wide 25MM circle (like a lazy river) to save space? Outside of it most likely impeding your resale ability and maybe looking tacky, is there anything about it that would be more expensive than a normal rectangle pool? I think if you did this right, and had a little bridge to the center where you had a fire pit, etc it could make for a cool back yard

just a silly idea of course.
Last edited by: milkman1982: Aug 22, 16 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy lap pool idea [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
Someday I would love to have a 25m pool in my backyard when I purchase a home. Obviously a lot of factors would go into if that is feasible, one of which would be the width of your lot. Here is a wild idea i came up with, what if you built a pool that is a one lane wide 25MM circle (like a lazy river) to save space? Outside of it most likely impeding your resale ability and maybe looking tacky, is there anything about it that would be more expensive than a normal rectangle pool? I think if you did this right, and had a little bridge to the center where you had a fire pit, etc it could make for a cool back yard

It's going to be whole lot of laps on a 25mm course, but hey, if you can take the boredom. :)

I think you'd need more space to make a decent circular pool than a normal 25m pool.

Edit: I think you'd be better off making a circular pool and swimming around the outside edge. Still, I think that's a pretty tight turn.
Last edited by: bufordt: Aug 22, 16 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy lap pool idea [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What better way to practice open water swimming?

you may be right on the space, but conceptually, depending on the depth of your lot,I think could build this even if you didn't have a 30m wide lot. Disclaimer: I am not an engineer, architect, or anything in between, LOL.

i guess you are always turning, that could be bad for your stroke..
Last edited by: milkman1982: Aug 22, 16 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That wouldn't really be workable. 25m circular pool would be just 8m in diameter. That's a pretty tight turn and yes it would probably affect your stroke if turning all the time.

You'd be better off buying an endless pool. Or building a 25m one lane pool 1m or 1.5m deep if you've got the space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:

Training by never swimming in a straight line doesn't seem like a great idea to me.
The curvature of such a small pool would be excessive. You'd need a far larger pool to make swimming around a curved lap tolerable IMO.

Secondly, If you're doing a single lane loop rather than a full circular pool, you'll cut down on water and pool floor but you'll have a lot more wall area - and it'll all be curved. I suspect that'll cost you more, not less to build compared with an open circular pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy lap pool idea [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang it.

Yeah an 8m constant curve would be silly. Okay so this will remain a concept, like the screen door on the submarine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would cost more to build it that way, and I personally would hate it after 2 or 3 laps and just avoid it. I built my own 4 lane 25 yd lap pool in my backyard, 5 1/2ft deep. If you are serious, I could let you know how i did it, and how it is also a waveless pool without all the pumps, storage tanks, and $$$$$$$!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy lap pool idea [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty. I am a few years away from this, but my fiance and I are both triathletes and would love to put in a lap pool when we do finally settle down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^^ Same here. Need to buy a few acres somewhere where land is cheap (NOT here in Seattle) and plan is to build a 3 lane 25y pool about 4 feet deep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you would be much better off with an 'infinite pool' in a spa sized pool.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know how you did it. We're looking at a number of properties in two weeks time - all have 10m*4m pools but one criteria is that there is sufficient length to the area that I can remove that, excavate more and lengthen one of them

I'm also interested in construction options, suggestions and feedback on experiences

cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It would cost more to build it that way, and I personally would hate it after 2 or 3 laps and just avoid it. I built my own 4 lane 25 yd lap pool in my backyard, 5 1/2ft deep. If you are serious, I could let you know how i did it, and how it is also a waveless pool without all the pumps, storage tanks, and $$$$$$$!!!

Monty,
I think that would be a great stand alone post to see how you did it. Or, have you posted that somewhere else before already and can link to it?
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy lap pool idea [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty,
I think that would be a great stand alone post to see how you did it. Or, have you posted that somewhere else before already and can link to it?

I'm not sure if I have or not, probably never posted in its entirety. Maybe I will do something like a full start to finish build of the pool, with all of my own inventions to make it waveless without pumps and tanks. I got a lot of pics too during the build, kind of cool to look back on and see how far it really came. What do you think, maybe a $100 a piece for my intellectual property? (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it around your house and call it a moat. Then, write it off on your taxes as a capital improvement designed for home defense.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

You gotta post a photo of this...

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my friends just built a single lane 25 YARD pool and had a "wide section in the middle" that may have been around 5-7m wide and around 8 m long (it seems to be 1/3 of the pool length)

Something like this, but the lap part was narrower and the wide part was a bit longer and wider:

Quote Reply
Re: Crazy lap pool idea [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ps/Xantusia_j46.html

Scroll down to the lap pool, that is mine. Not a great shot, but gives you an idea of what it looks like. I actually made it 3 really big oversize lanes rather than 4 normal size lanes. Left room for a wall lane line on each side also..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have trained for races using one of those small round walmart pools.

I put a 4x4 post just outside the pool with a bungie cord which I attached to a belt around my waist. Worked fine and was happy with my time even compared to swimming masters swim in a 'normal' 25 yard pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy lap pool idea [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a couple of friends who are now retired pro triathletes. They put a 20 meter lap pool, two lanes wide (1 stripe) in their yard. Their comment is that it has to be an infinity pool as they get quite rough when swimming if they're not.

I have an endless pool. works fine for me.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost finished with a 25M 2-lane in my back yard. Plaster is in 12 days.

"Nothing screams 'Poor Workmanship!' like wrinkles in the duct tape."
Last edited by: triti2000: Jul 5, 17 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy lap pool idea [triti2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive! Great video, too.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... just wow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great.

I am no expert in lap pool design, but why the huge disparity in depth? I assume digging that deep costs a lot more? Are you putting in a diving board?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Crazy lap pool idea [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No - just wanted a deep end for fun. We will have start blocks at that end of the pool too, so it helps with that...

"Nothing screams 'Poor Workmanship!' like wrinkles in the duct tape."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, gotcha.

Do post more stuff when it is all done. It sure looks pretty darn impressive!

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next