Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cranktip - anyone used these pedals before??
Quote | Reply
http://www.cranktip.com/

Looking for new pedals and came across these. Has anyone used them ? Feedback? Current using speedplay, used to them but not the easier to slot in especially if you are starting in the middle of a hill:)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cranktip - anyone used these pedals before?? [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of the dropped, articulated design that Paula Newby Fraser used many years ago. Interesting design, like eccentric chain ring this changes the effective leverage during the pedal stroke but without the varying foot speed that eccentric chain rings introduce. It's notable to me that the website is completely lacking in any objective scientific evidence that the pedals produce any real performance advantage. I think my reaction is similar to a lot of folks -- show me the evidence!
Quote Reply
Re: Cranktip - anyone used these pedals before?? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, wish there were stats on their website that shows measureable power improvements between this and others...otherwise its a 50/50 gamble if i get them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't tried them but what is it about Pete Jacobs that he promotes all these "weird" things.

Crank Tips
Training Mask

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Cranktip - anyone used these pedals before?? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The beauty of this new product is that you don’t have to rely on, or be convinced by scientific testing to prove the performance of this product. You can easily test this yourself in half an hour or less."

Or in other words: "To see a measurable improvement, measurements are not necessary."

Re: Pete Jacobs.... Is he like a secret Soviet sociological experiment? Is he trolling all of us? Is somebody trolling us through him?

PS I'm not saying the pedals don't work. I actually think having that amount of "play" (which doesn't seem to be strictly constrained) could be useful for people with leg length and power discrepancies. But I could see it doing one of two things:

• Helping balance out some natural asymmetry, OR
  • Enforcing that asymmetry and making things worse.

Hard to tell without broader longitudinal studies. But there's a money-back guarantee! (Hint: To prove that it didn't lower your heart rate....just ride harder!)

(edited for grammar)
Last edited by: HardKnox: Jan 29, 15 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe there was a thread thoroughly debunking the theory behind these pedals quite a while ago...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cranktip - anyone used these pedals before?? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea. In general terms, I like what it does to the positioning of the crank circle vs a stock setup. What I don't like is more complexity and cost tho!

I designed a new pedal for similar reasons - a more organic (float/twist etc) connection and a zero stack. Helps that the pedal is very aero too, using a carbon fairing One prototype, raced it straight up to the front. Worked beyond expectations.

Zero stack brings more cockpit room, more power and more aero because you can net lower your position. I just went by how it all felt, no power #'s or other data.

pic.twitter.com/ztkEpEm6kH

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cranktip - anyone used these pedals before?? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point at which the pedal connects to the crankarm is still a bearing that is never locked up. Therefore, no mater how the pedal changes the position of the pedal to the position of this bearing, the length of the lever arm never changes. So your foot will travel a different path than it would on a normal pedal, but the same amount of force on the pedal is always going to transmit the same amount of torque through the crankarm because the effective length never changes. So what is the point? If anything you are adding additional points of mechanical efficiency loss to the system with no gains.

And even if it DID change the effective length, it is doing it in the wrong direction! You do not want a longer length in the strongest part of your stroke and a shorter one on the weakest! This would exacerbate the unevenness of the torque applied and increase the changes of angular velocity around the cycle - slowing it even more on the weak part of the stroke and speeding up even more on the strong part. If anything, you want to do just the opposite - though even that remains controversial as to any real benefits it may bestow.

I can't comment on your pedal - can't tell from the pic that there is anything unusual about it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jan 29, 15 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: Cranktip - anyone used these pedals before?? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"it is doing it in the wrong direction! You do not want a longer length in the strongest part of your stroke and a shorter one on the weakest! "

Interestingly, Shimano's long-defunct Biopace chainrings did exactly that, gave a lower gear at the strong part of the stroke and a higher gear on the weak part of the stroke. I believe the theory was that increasing foot speed at the strong part of the stroke would create momentum that would help carry you through the weak part. Or something like that. None other than the late Sheldon Brown was an advocate of the Biopace rings. I had them on my first mountain bike many years ago and hated them for purely subjective reasons, swapped them out for round rings after a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing but snake oil - increasing lever arm does not equal more power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree 100% that you cannot change the power... umm... let's say consumed to ride a bike. Torque x rpm = horsepower. No question - Shorter, longer, oblong cranks whatever.

But what I did find was that changing ME - my position on the bike, by scavenging operating space so that my leg extended just that bit more, my knees had more room at the top, allowed me to generate MORE power (i'll say it again in ME the athlete) vs the position I was using the same thick-stacked- to- all-get-out KEO pedals.

Hey if you are on a road bike, thickly stacked pedals shouldn't be much of an issue. But if you are trying to get low, close gaps and be aero, yes several mm at the pedals can be make or break. Why not be effectively lower the road?? Makes perfect sense.

So if you look at the diameter/route those pedals trace, they are lower, presumably you won't ground out on corners, which is the limiting factor to BB drop.

Hope I was clearer, this time. Again certainly no TT expert here but that is what I felt on my race bike.

Edit - hey I found exactly what i was saying above in the video (Jacobs):
Also a good basic platform against the shoe, but at the same time has some give, is nice to have (vs a cleat to pedal fixture) . I call this more "organic" pedal which is what I achieved in my design. They are describing a similar thing as well on that topic.

>> Zero stack brings more cockpit room, more power and more aero because you can net lower your position. I just went by how it all felt, no power #'s or other data.

Last edited by: SharkFM: Jan 29, 15 21:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I got from their "how it works" diagram is that bike manufacturers have been putting the BB in the wrong location all this time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I demo'd those last fall at a race expo.

The guy was so enthusiastic and I was just being nice. Honestly I don't they they did anything for me.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interested in your pedal, any chance you could give more info on design and functionality? THX
Quote Reply
Re: Cranktip - anyone used these pedals before?? [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure - I made a little test video last year. I used them for commuting in the summer and then for racing where they were fantastic. The reason I made them was to use whilst I rehabbed my scarred up ankle & damaged Achilles, and to be able to run in/out from transition in my bike shoes, without risk of more damage to my ankle (and get more speed!). The other benefits were a bonus.

I use Crank bros pedals for my winter bike, they are great for that application. Have some Looks on my road bike.

I also make my own "heat moldable" saddles as well, for which I have found no rival. I don't like making bike seats, but nothing I have purchased comes close to a custom molded, shaped and fitted saddle. Materials selection (foam layup & covering) is critical. Really a shame not to be able to share, I need to find a partner already in the industry perhaps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THX, Those are cool!

How much float do you get and what cleats do you use?
Quote Reply
Re: Cranktip - anyone used these pedals before?? [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the thing, other than a bit of fuzzy velcro, there are no cleats. Zero stack, zero weight and all the float you need. You can also custom position in any location.

Surprisingly they "operate" very similar to a regular cleated pedal. After finding the ideal position, mark and I just use a locating pin (one hole in the shoe, pin on pedal) to "lock in".

You can pull up that is not a problem. To release you have to twist out just like a regular setup.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer your question, no. I would like to try them to form my own opinion though.

Something similar was attempted many years ago. Scroll down to "Power Pedal" at http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/weird_bike_stuff.htm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a brand new pair I will sell you for 80 plus shipping!
Quote Reply