Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crank or Pedal based power meter?
Quote | Reply
I know there are tons of power meter threads and I have done a bunch of searching but I'd just simply like some pros and cons for some of the setups from your own experience. I have also read DCRainmaker's articles.

I'm not really a fan of the hub based power meters, so I'm looking at pedals vs crank arm vs crank spider. I realize that by next Spring we will likely be seeing several new options hitting the market but I guess I'd like to start narrowing it down into what type of power meter to start looking at. It will likely live on one bike, but I wouldn't mind having the option of moving it over to my other bike.

I am not a huge fan of my current Shimano pedals but I will likely just adjust if I ended up going with a pedal based meter (i.e. Powertap) so I'm open to changing pedal styles. Alternatively, I would be happy to give Speedplays a try, so if a crank based power meter is a better option, I'm open to that as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank or Pedal based power meter? [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say Crank based unless you want to swap them around a lot - which isn't actually a good idea even if you do get the pedals. The crank based PMs are more accurate, and are typically cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank or Pedal based power meter? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spider or crank arms?
Quote Reply
Re: Crank or Pedal based power meter? [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purely from a travelling point of view : pedals are really convenient. You can rent bikes or use some gym spin bikes. A really good solution for business travellers.

I have bikes in 3 locations and simply bring my pedals.

Cranks are easy to swap as well. They are bulkier to carry when travelling and require all bikes have the same BB.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank or Pedal based power meter? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Purely from a travelling point of view : pedals are really convenient. You can rent bikes or use some gym spin bikes. A really good solution for business travellers.

Kinda agree - I can't justify taking a torque wrench around with me so I'm probably sacrificing accuracy.
Quote Reply
Re: Crank or Pedal based power meter? [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:
marcag wrote:

Kinda agree - I can't justify taking a torque wrench around with me so I'm probably sacrificing accuracy.

New Powertap P1 pedals do not require a torque wrench.
Quote Reply