Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Craig Alexander's Oakley's in Kona question
Quote | Reply
Finally watched the NBC broadcast of Kona. Anyone know the Oakley model Craig wore prerace during the days leading up to the race that was shown during the broadcast?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Craig Alexander's Oakley's in Kona question [jsd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oakley Big Taco. New frame from them. At least that is what he is wearing 15 minutes into the show.

If you have a particular time stamp you're curious about let me know. Been working for Sunglass Hut for 8 years, so I am cursed for spotting sunglasses.
Quote Reply
Re: Craig Alexander's Oakley's in Kona question [Wahed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahed, I can't PM, but have been trying to find out if there's really a significant difference between Oakley's regular fit and Asian fit sunglasses. In particular, the Radar Path/Pitch line. Do you know if they really do "fit" any better?
Quote Reply
Re: Craig Alexander's Oakley's in Kona question [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think whether or not the asian fit glasses will fit better would be determined by whether or not you're asian!

In all seriousness, there is a difference, but facial geometry is such an individual thing. I have a couple friends (not asian) that wear the asian-fit glasses anyway. I don't know why they don't just call them "narrow-fit." The difference is probably on the order of mm, but you would be surprised by how big of a difference millimeters makes when you're talking facial geometry. In other words, I would doubt that you'd be able to tell the difference between asianfit/standard if you're only looking at one pair...but probably side-by-side if you had two of the same model. With the Path model it may be harder to discern the difference though because the temples are pretty wide on either as far as I can tell, unless you get the ones without the big funky hole in the ear stems. I have the standard Path's and the ear stems are quite wide at the temples (which is not the case for me with glasses like the Jury or Frogskins).

We've had a lot of pairs of Oakleys in my family...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I haven't worked in a store that actually carried the Asian Fit Oakley (a demographics thing), but I've seen and handled quite a few.

I can spot the difference immediately. A majority of sunglasses in the US are sold on an "Agordo" or European fit that tends to fit better for people who originate from well ... Europe. Their noses tend to be more pronounced than an Asian, and also their cheekbones tend to be less "high".

The major differences in an "Asian fit" pair of Oakley compared to a "standard fit" Oakley are that the nose bridge is more narrow (yes by mere mm), and the frames/lenses will tend to not drop low as severely over the cheekbones. There will also be overall frame "width" differences but i haven't really looked into that part.

ZackC. is correct that it all does come down to your face. I'm not sure what will fit you "better". I do see a heck-of-a-lot of people of Asian descent wearing "standard fit" Oakley sunglasses. But then again that may be a straight availability / knowledge issue.

When it comes to a radar path or pitch, there should not be a difference in the frame at all once you narrow into either standard or Asian fit. Path or Pitch are simply the lens cuts. I will say that i see mostly Path lenses on people.

My suggestion: If you go to your local Oakley dealer, try on a regular Radar Path or Pitch. If they feel like they fit well, then leave it at that. If they don't, figure out which lens cut you like, then order the Asian fit one from Oakley.com. You've got 90 days to return them either in-store to Oakley, or through mail. http://www.oakley.com/customer-care/returns ****EDIT NOTE: if you elect to customize your Asian fit Oakley (if available) then they are non-returnable ****

Hope I helped. If you have more questions, I'm happy to give them a go.
Last edited by: Wahed: Nov 5, 12 18:30
Quote Reply
Re: Craig Alexander's Oakley's in Kona question [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha.... yeah, me being asian is why I'm asking, but I really can't tell how it would fit better as I have tried on the "regular fit" in the stores/outlets/sunglass huts, etc. The only complaint I'd have with the regular fit would be that I could see the lower edge of the lens hitting/digging into my upper cheek bones, especially if I flex those muscles there (i.e., smiling, gritting teeth, etc.) Otherwise, I feel like the width of the regular ones fits fine, almost a little too snug. Kind of hard to justify paying $200+ for a pair of sunglasses when my $20 from REI have held up just fine, but if I'm going to buy a pair of Oakleys, I want them to fit like a glove.

Wahed, awesome suggestion... seems like I may want to go and order a pair of the asian fit, and then return them to the store if they don't fit better. Thanks!
Last edited by: ajminn: Nov 5, 12 18:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good ajminn. I think they're still doing free shipping on orders over $50. So if you don't like them you're out nothing.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of M frame oakley's and they fit great, not asian fit. I have a very small face with high cheek bones and they fit me well. However I haven't ever tried on the asian fit and would be interested in that.

http://onebelievers.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is them. Thanks for the reply!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajminn wrote:
Haha.... yeah, me being asian is why I'm asking, but I really can't tell how it would fit better as I have tried on the "regular fit" in the stores/outlets/sunglass huts, etc. The only complaint I'd have with the regular fit would be that I could see the lower edge of the lens hitting/digging into my upper cheek bones, especially if I flex those muscles there (i.e., smiling, gritting teeth, etc.) Otherwise, I feel like the width of the regular ones fits fine, almost a little too snug. Kind of hard to justify paying $200+ for a pair of sunglasses when my $20 from REI have held up just fine, but if I'm going to buy a pair of Oakleys, I want them to fit like a glove.

Wahed, awesome suggestion... seems like I may want to go and order a pair of the asian fit, and then return them to the store if they don't fit better. Thanks!

I've weighed that same cost-benefit scenario many times. Here's how I rationalize it:
I wear sunglasses every day of my life. I can't drive without them. If I'm going to be outside for any extended period of time I'm going to wear them.
I much prefer the look of Oakleys to any other kind of sunglasses. I think Oakleys look better on me than other brands of sunglasses do.
Oakley lenses are top-notch. I've worn many different kinds of sunglasses over the years (before I could afford Oakley). Oakley lens tint options are awesome (but not unparalleled), but lens performance is also excellent. The look is the big thing though. Rudy project is almost as good as Oakley on lens tint offerings and lens quality. Their lens replacement program is also much more wallet friendly. That said, I think Rudy frames are hideous. For me, the better appearance of Oakley glasses has value, which I amortize over MANY uses (I wear my sunglasses daily and keep them for an average of 2-3 years).

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:

I've weighed that same cost-benefit scenario many times. Here's how I rationalize it:
I wear sunglasses every day of my life. I can't drive without them. If I'm going to be outside for any extended period of time I'm going to wear them.
I much prefer the look of Oakleys to any other kind of sunglasses. I think Oakleys look better on me than other brands of sunglasses do.
Oakley lenses are top-notch. I've worn many different kinds of sunglasses over the years (before I could afford Oakley). Oakley lens tint options are awesome (but not unparalleled), but lens performance is also excellent. The look is the big thing though. Rudy project is almost as good as Oakley on lens tint offerings and lens quality. Their lens replacement program is also much more wallet friendly. That said, I think Rudy frames are hideous. For me, the better appearance of Oakley glasses has value, which I amortize over MANY uses (I wear my sunglasses daily and keep them for an average of 2-3 years).

Oh I absolutely agree... I think that they're well worth the money. I've got pits and scratches in my REI glasses within a couple of weeks of owning them. I guess it's knowing that I can toss them around, lose them, break them, etc. and not worry about $200+ going down the drain (I think I have three pairs of these glasses in various conditions, which admittedly puts me about 60% of the way there for a pair of Oakleys). But, having interchangeable lenses for different light conditions, lenses that actually do not distort optics horribly and that are hydrophobic is well worth the money you pay. I guess it's a question of do I pay $40/year or $200+ every 3-5 years (assuming that I don't lose them, break them, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and I just saw your signature... Go pack!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the fact you bring up Hydrophobic because I was on a ride with a guy wearing fake Flak Jackets and I told him he would ruin the lens if he kept cleaning them with his Jersey.

He the let me know he did it because they kept fogging up.

To which I let him know if bought the real thing then he wouldn't have that problem.

And it's mostly true. There are times where I fog up. But that is only if I am at a stop, huffing and puffing, and humidity is high (thanks Houston). Of course another great fix for fog is letting them sit a little further out from the brow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MAN!!!! This is what ST and ST threads should look like. Thanks for keeping the faith and helping your fellow man/woman.

Who Dares...Wins!
Quote Reply
Re: Craig Alexander's Oakley's in Kona question [+4W/Kg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah!

Glad i could be helpful in my first post on ST.
Quote Reply
Re: Craig Alexander's Oakley's in Kona question [jsd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you post the link as to where you watched it?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Craig Alexander's Oakley's in Kona question [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had DVR'ed it. So no link from me, sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm chinese but have never found the asian fit oakley's to fit my face. However I do find switching to a larger nosepiece on a regular model, helps keep the sunglasses higher on my nose. Having worked in an oakley distributor in Asia, I can say that the majority of smaller asians and women will opt for the asian fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Craig Alexander's Oakley's in Kona question [Chenchrisss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. It seems per Oakley's website though that the asian fit glasses (i.e., the stems) are actually wider than the regular fit. Did you find that to be true? Also, does the regular fit glasses come with a variety of nose pieces or do you have to purchase them separately?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajminn:

When you stay stems, i have to assume that you're talking about the part of the sunglass that goes over your ear? I'm not sure if you mean wider (as in tall or length). So, i'd have to wait until i can answer that one.

Also, I've received your PM, and since I'm new i can't respond to PM's. I will look into your question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wahed,

Yes, I'm talking about the parts that fold away from the lenses that are on the side of your face. http://www.oakley.com/asian-fit

And when I say width, I'm talking about the side to side distance, like from the left side of your face to the right side of the face. If you click on the link above and then click on stems, it'll say that it's wider. I thought you mentioned that it would actually be narrower, and Chenchriss makes it sound like smaller (i.e., narrower faced asians) would prefer the asian fit, which confuses me some too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The nose bridge will be narrow while the entire width from temple to temple will be wider.
Quote Reply