Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Covering stitches for swimming
Quote | Reply
Has anyone with stitches on their foot been able to come up with a way to cover them to swim? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Covering stitches for swimming [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on how big the gash is I've used both NuSkin and Superglue. Both sting like hell but the Nuskin wears off a lot faster and wih less pain. If the wound is more than an inch or so long though I would stay out of the pool for a while.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends why you have sutures in your foot! If if was a simple laceration, you can probably swim/glue/etc. after a few days. If from a deeper surgery - out of the pool until healed. Foot incisions heal slow enough and 20 mins + in the water just macerates the skin edges. A wound dehiscence with deeper sutures/work/hardware would be a very bad thing. Will be healed soon enough.

Re: Covering stitches for swimming [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
public pool water in an open wound...yucky! they had a staph outbreak in the one I used to belong to a while back.

Quote | Reply
Dr. Roof, It was the Jones fracture, had it screwed last weds night thanks to your advice.After one week im itching to do something. thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops - didn't notice the name! LOL! Yeah, hold off just a bit with your underlying hardware. If it gets infected, bacteria have a "predilection" for metal ;-) and your screw is just pretty superficial there.

Good luck!

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
depends why you have sutures in your foot! If if was a simple laceration, you can probably swim/glue/etc. after a few days. If from a deeper surgery - out of the pool until healed. Foot incisions heal slow enough and 20 mins + in the water just macerates the skin edges. A wound dehiscence with deeper sutures/work/hardware would be a very bad thing. Will be healed soon enough.

Well, damn, did I dodge a bullet. A couple-four years ago, I had some deep surgery (the surgeon considered going in from the top!) on the bottom of my foot, probably about a 3-4" incision, to remove some mass that had been giving me pain for more than a decade. I was in the pool 2-3 days later, and nearly every day for the 4 weeks before he took the stitches out and said I could run again (I also rode my bike prior to that). Over the ace bandage that covered the gauze, I put two plastic bags and covered them with that green/blue tacky tape (got it through a horse supply place at about 1/3 the price) and some waterproof tape to keep it sealed. Bags went above my ankle about 6". Careful on the flip turns. No infections of which I was aware.

Podiatrist said he'd never known anyone to be so aggressive with getting back after surgery. Funny thing is that that focus on swimming brought me back from about 6-7 years off, and I've been swimming well ever since.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Covering stitches for swimming [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And there ya' have it! Proof yet again why I have to treat us type-A triathletes "different" than the general population!

;-)

Re: Covering stitches for swimming [beschultz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cut the top of my hand last Sunday, 4 stitches. The doctor knows I do triathlons and said I could go swimming after 5 days (which would be this Saturday). Anyone had any experiences with stitches on the top of the hand and lake swimming (clean lake, cleaner than public pools for sure)? Thanks.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply