Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Couch to KQ in 7 years
Quote | Reply

Couch to KQ in 7 years

It was Christmas time of 2010. At 36, I was starting to “outgrow” my size 34 jeans and I tipped the scale over 200lbs. I am 5’-9”. My family is obese. I was never really into athletics and playing football in high school doesn’t really count anymore at age 36. I told my wife, Diane, that I wanted to start running to lose weight and get healthier. In Jan of 2011 I did just that. I signed up for a 26.2 so I had a goal to shoot for. I finished my first 26.2 in August 2011.
While I was absorbing as much info as I could about running, I would talk with an IM finisher that worked in my wife’s office. She would tell me about how much she and her husband loved riding their bikes, so in Aug of 2011 I bought my first used road bike off of craigslist. It even came with shoes that fit, so I was set. This IM finisher also talked Diane and I into going to Madison to see IMWI that year. WOW! That was the coolest thing I had ever seen. All I needed to do was learn to swim, at age 37, the Monday night after IMWI 2011 was my first night of adult swim lessons.
I really was having a blast with s,b,r. I did a few oly’s leading up to my first 70.3 in the fall of 2012. I think I almost killed myself and I went somewhere in the 5:50’s that day. Man that was a rough day. But as we all normally do, a couple days later, I was energized and wanting more. That year I signed up for IMWI 2013. I still remember a pivotal conversation in my development. I went to my weekly adult swim lesson. I never swam that night. Instead I had a great conversation with a Kona qualifier about IM and tri. She told me about a friend of hers that was a coach and that maybe I should talk to him. He’s someone that I hold in very high regards still today. He's a great coach, person, and friend. My first coach was Scott Bowe. STer’s might know him as Sentania. My first conversation with Scott was basically this: I’m new to all of this. I don’t know where it’ll go. Let’s see how far we can get me. Scott told me that he had 3 goals for me, get me to the IM start line uninjured, still married, and still employed. He did a great job with all 3. I think one of the biggest things Scott did for me was he kept me from simply training myself into the ground. I continued with my weekly swim lessons up to IMWI 2013 where I went 10:55 (1:22, 5:38, 342) in my first 140.6.
2014 was wash, rinse, and repeat. My guess is that a probably averaged 10 hours training per week for the entire year. I probably maxed out around 17 hours/week. I followed Scott’s planning closely. I was getting into multisport pretty deep now and loving every minute of it. I was doing running road races and duathlons as well. My adult swim lessons had come to an end and I was now swimming with a masters group and swimming alone, but following Scotts swim workouts. My swimming improved right along with my cycling and running. In 2014 IMWI I went 10:43 (1:11, 5:29, 3:54). I had experienced some stomach issues at this race again. I started the run feeling like I had just eaten an entire Thanksgiving Day dinner. It was bad. In the finishers shoot, I told Scott that I wasn’t going to do this again if we didn’t figure out my nutrition. The first thing I did was threw out all my trusted Hammer products. In this off season, I did a very big swim block. 2.5 months of swimming 5 and 6 days per week. This swimming was “overseen” buy a local swim coach that I had hired to help me develop into a competitive level swimmer. Those results were marginal at best.
2015 for some reason I decided it would be a good idea to do 2 IM’s. IM Coeur d’Alene was in June and IMWI again in Sept. I was really getting into the IM thing and bought my first used tribike off of Craigslist. We started the year with very detailed recording of calories and their stomach affects while doing long rides on the trainer. I was now using Carbo Pro. We found that anything more than 265 calories/hour would upset my stomach. This was tested and proven over many 3-5 hour trainer rides that winter and spring. Some may remember that 2015 IMCda was a pretty hot event. It was the hottest temp ever recorded in Coeur d’Alene for any day in June ever. My Garmin 500 said 116*F. That race was so hot I thought that no lessons could be gained from it. I was wrong. I went 12:32 (1:12, 5:53, 5:19). In retrospect I did learn some valuable lessons. I learned that I still needed to learn how to swim competitively. I learned that anytime you start with a plan for an IM that may be a little more than you’re capable of, than execute that plan poorly by overriding, the day will end with a lot of walking and suffering. Onto IMWI in fall of 2015. I trained very hard over this summer. I spent a lot of SAU’s (spousal approval units) units this year. By the time I got to IMWI, I was mentally on the edge. I had pushed very hard. I probably peaked out with a 4 week block of 18-20 hour/week leading into WI. Prior to IMWI I announced to Diane that the only 140.6 I would be doing the following year was Kona. It was all or nothing for me at that point. 2015 IMWI was a 10:17 (1:13, 5:15, 3:39). It was a good race. I had become a low 10’s guy. I was mentally broken. I was done. I had pushed so hard. I wasn’t even close to a KQ. 13 minutes off the last KQ slot might as well be forever at that point. I swam my ass off in training, and now I am moving backwards in the water. Shorter races don’t allow me to make up enough time to overcome the loss in the water, and my competition is too strong in the longer races. Game over. I cancelled my pool membership. I declared myself a Duathlete. Scott (my coach) and I went separate ways. That next month was terrible for me. I was really in a dark place. I did some riding. Absolutely zero swimming. I ran a fair amount. Whatever. None of it really meant anything to me. Then I threw myself “on the sword” and mentioned to Diane that I was kicking around signing up for IMWI 2016. That was not a very happy conversation. I was an emotional wreck.
I started swimming again, still on my own, about 5 weeks post IMWI. One of the costs to doing IMWI I had imposed on my marriage had been skipping a tandem cycling event the week before IMWI every year. I had promised Diane we would attend that event in 2016, so I registered for IMLou instead of IMWI. I needed to be registered for an IM. It has become part of who I am. I started 2016 being a self-coached athlete. I was training every day. I was using some of the old plans for me from Scott. Things were kind of going so-so. Diane could see that too. She told me one day that if I was going to continue to do this stuff that I should probably take it seriously and hire a coach again. This time I interviewed probably 5 different coaches. I decided on working with JonnyO. My first workout under Jonny’s guidance was August 1 of 2016. My plan was to try to hit 2017 hard enough to KQ and figured that having an IM together with my new coach in 2016 would allow us to learn each other through a “practice run”. Training in the late summer and fall of 2016 leading into IMLou became the life focus again. Big weeks and lots of hard work. Maxed out at 21 hours and 1100+ tss. 2016 IMLou was 9:53 (1:07, 5:02, 3:33). A pretty good race. A sub 10! 15 minutes from a KQ. I can run and I can bike, I can’t swim…still.
Continuing to do the same things over and over and expecting a different result is insanity. After IMLou 2016 I searched out 1 on 1 swim help again. I found someone to work with. This swim coach and I had many 60 minute 1/1’s. First we started twice per week, at $55 a pop. Then we cut back to once per week. I probably spent over $1200 on swim coaching. I also spent a whole lot of time in the pool. I have continued to visit him on occasion in a group setting for the remainder of the year.
One doesn’t get onto the train with JonnyO running things if you’re not driven to work hard and succeed. IMWI 2017 was now my life goal to KQ. Any and every decision made was to be based on how it would affect my A race. 2017 was going to be my year.
2017 Starts with IM Madison 70.3: I knew from the registered athlete list that some pretty big names in M40-44 were going to be racing. I also knew that if I wanted to KQ in IMWI 2017, I’d have to prove myself as being able to race with these big dogs because they were going to be there as well. My coach (JonnyO) and I, put together a very conservative race plan because it was HOT that day. I finished 19 OA and 6 AG! That was a huge confidence booster for me.
Next up: Door County 70.3 2017: An absolutely beautiful race day temp wise. Soo windy that the RD shortened the swim from 1.2 miles to the day before’s sprint course of 400yrds. It was a very rough 400 yrds but I told myself that if I survive it, I’ll never come out of the water that close to the leaders, so in the water I went. I pushed real hard on the bike. I had just caught #1+2 OA on the bike course at mile 35, hit a bump I wasn’t expecting, and over the bars I go at 35mph! BUMMER!! No broken bones, thank God, but a lot of road rash. My first DNF.
IMWI 2017: My A race for 2017. 6 weeks post crash. Swimming is swimming, I’m on a new bike and running strong. I feel great. That is until my left hamstring flared up 2.5 weeks prior to IMWI. I didn’t freak out. I got help for it. I didn’t run for 1 week. My coach helped me through this difficult time perfectly. I rolled right into the taper and started to really feel good again. I was going to race IMWI hard and the hamstring would hold on or it wouldn’t. I had a pretty good day. The hamstring held on. I went 10:01 for #6AG. It was a good day for me, but still a little short for the KQ. I knew that M40-44 was stacked this year. I did the best I could on that day. Now what?
After a few days, I talked about the situation with my coach JonnyO. A 5 week turnaround to race IMLou would be tricky. I needed to rest and recover, but not lose any fitness. I’m in.

2017 IMLOU race report
Recovery from IMWI was quick. I felt great 1 week post-race. 10 days post-race I was hitting hard workouts again and feeling strong. For those that like the numbers:

Week 1 = 4.5 hrs +321 tss

Week 2 = 13 hrs + 853tss

Week 3 = 14.5 hrs +994 tss

Week4=12 hrs+717 tss

Week 5=14 hrs +935 tss includes the IMLou race

I was very confident in my fitness 3 weeks after IMWI until…the last long ride on the Saturday 2 weeks before IMLOU. It was a great ride, .8 IF (240 NP)for 4 hours. I did it. It was a great ride. It absolutely sapped me. Week 4 I started to ease into a taper that continued and accelerated into week 5. I really mentally felt flat. I wasn’t burnt out or hurt, just lacking any pop about anything really. This is IM # 7 for me. I know the drill. I did Louisville last year. Just get it done I kept telling myself. Nothing really to note pre-race other than I flatted my front tire in the hotel parking lot heading to drop the bike off. Oh well, better today than tomorrow I tell myself. Writing down my estimated times for my wife, I tallied up a 9:40. I was almost shocked by that. I still doubted my capabilities to pull that off.

This year the swim start was changed from a first come single file line to one that was self-seeded swim time single file line. Even swimming a 1:05, that moved me way up in the line from where I started last year. That was a huge help with congestion for me on the course. My swim was pretty uneventful. 2.4 miles is a long distance to swim. I somehow managed a 1:03.

T1 was smooth. I grabbed my stuff without issues. I had a volunteer hold my bike near the mount line as I put my shoes on and off I went.

Bike: My plan was to ride 220 NP all day. We upped my calories a bit from WI to try to set me up for a better run. I had 2 bottles of Carbo Pro mixed with Gatorade and emptied salt stick capsules for a total of 1750 calories and a planned ride of 5 hours. The bike was normal for an IM. A few blatant drafters, that I always call out when I can, hardly any course marshals, a few people riding in the middle of the road, some wind gusts, some hills, and lots of people sitting upright on their TT bike. The bike was fine until my stomach started to feel just a smidge off around mile 100, so I backed off just a bit and road into T2 about 15 watts lower than the rest of the ride. Bike split of 4:54, 219NP, 214AW, all calories in.

T2 was smooth again, not crowded at all :) 

Run: Heading out onto the run course I knew one of the mistakes I made in WI was one that most of us do, I ran the first mile or 2 way too fast. I really concentrated on keeping the pace in check as most of the first mile at Lou is up hill to boot. I thought I could run a 8:00 pace for the entire 26.2, so I didn’t really want to go any faster than 7:45 for the first 13.1. I saw my wife at mile 1 and she informed me that I was showing as number 7 AG. That wasn’t really what I wanted to hear. I had hoped to had picked off a few more spots on the bike, but oh well. About 5 miles into my run, the expected front swept through the area. As I was trying not to be blown off the run course, my heart went out to the many people still out on their bikes. It had to have been scary out there. It was almost scary running with so much debris blowing, it was crazy. But thankfully the temp dropped around 15 degrees in 30 minutes, from a warm day to a great running temp day. Anyways, I was successful in keeping my pace in check. About half way back to the far turn around, mile 17ish, still feeling good, I decided that the time was right to take the chains off and run however my body wanted to run. Continuing to feel good into the low 20’s I tried to push my pace a bit. I concentrated on driving with my legs and relaxing my upper body and NOT slowing down. It was hard, but I felt good for the entire run. This is a TT race, you’ve got to go hard all the way through the finish line, and I did just that. 3:23 run with a negative split!

Overall time of 9:30:44, that still feels weird to type and say.

I ended up #5 ag in M40-44. There were 4 slots and I very excitedly took a roll down slot and

I AM GOING TO KONA!!!

I didn’t write all of this for the purpose of “Look at me”. I’m just some average guy. I wrote this to give anyone else out there who may be wondering how in the world can I ever get there, my story. What I did do, was I took the KQ process very seriously. I found great coaches and did what they said. I trained very seriously, every day, day after day after day, month after month and year after year. I also surrounded myself with very supportive and loving friends that share a passion for s,b,r. I have spent an awful lot of capital on this chase. It has cost a fair amount of $$. It has cost a fair amount of good will at times with Diane, who I am blessed to still be able to call my wife. I have missed things in life that I had no time for, because of a training schedule. I am very fortunate. I am healthy. I am very proud of my KQ. I am looking forward very much to the Kona experience. I am also glad that I can now allow myself to step off of the KQ treadmill. I love the sbr lifestyle, but sometimes trying to get to Kona got old.

I hope this helps anyone that might be on this journey. I say, find a great coach. Do what they say. Be honest with them. Time is too valuable to be training without a clear direction. There will be no shortcuts. This may take years. Try not to get discouraged. A goal that is easy to reach may not be worth it. Aim high and tri. Who knows where you may find yourself someday.
Feel free to ask any questions from this regular guy.

Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mad props

Great result
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. That’s a heck of a journey, you earned it.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
key take homes:

you made life decisions based on your A race
you trained consistently year in and year out for 6-7 years
you hired a great coach
you had some sort of genetic "gift" seeing that you did your first ironman in sub 11 with no real swimming, cycling, or running background.

congrats man, but stop posting stories like this. you're giving other people hope and motivation, which subsequently reduces my kq chances lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Well done and mucho congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great work. That's quite a journey and commitment - you earned that one big time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
At 36, I was starting to “outgrow” my size 34 jeans and I tipped the scale over 200lbs. I am 5’-9”.

Congratulations. That is an amazing story and journey. I'm curious how much weight you lost in the process?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great post and story - thank for sharing! Appreciate the spirit it in which it is offered - you don't really know what you're capable of until you commit to finding out. And of course, congratulations on your Kona qualification!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice work, congratulations.

I went hard for a KQ in '89 and missed by 1 spot in 2 races (back then most slots were at "half ironmans").

I got my KQ this year at CDA - enjoy the "high" it IS worth it. You unearthed a talent for endurance sports, and, deserve to revel in the accomplishment.

I have to chuckle at your comments on '15 IM CDA. I was there and yeah, it was hot. Ironically it was my fastest IM (and my first). Still missed KQ by 4 spots. Last year I was "lackluster," Same for this year, but, gutted out a KQ anyway. I really sucked at Kona - oh well...

Enjoy the journey (ye ha!)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always love these threads! Congrats man.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations and you gave this regular guy dreaming of KQ someday a lot of inspiration!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got choked up reading this. Your perseverance, dedication, and fight are very inspirational. My hat is off to you. Congratulations!!

This is very good timing as I'm less than 2 weeks away from my first IM. Thank you for the inspiration.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That first year was the biggest decline for me in weight. I probably lost 20 pounds the first year. It was kind of funny though, I hate clothes shopping almost more than anything and my wife would only let me wear baggy saggy stuff for so long so I was forced into a new wardrobe. The second year I lost another 10. Which painfully meant more new clothes :( But by then I was amassing a great number of race shirts which still make up most of my wardrobe now.
Weight has been something I have struggled with. Not because I'm "fat", but I believed that in order to race at your potential, especially on a hillier bike course, it would be best to be at ones lightest. I have floated 165-170 for probably 5 years now. This year I went so far as to stop bringing any money with me to work as that was the only way to keep me out of the vending machines or cafeterias. My packed lunch was appropriate for me. I saw 160.5 on the scale this year after a long hot workout once. I raced IMWI this year around 166. After that race I let my hunger drive my intake. I raced IMLou 5 weeks later at 170. I now think that there are some little things that make big differences and there are some little things that we may put huge efforts into that really make no difference at all. Weight may be one of the later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mixed feelings about this story. Sounds like you feel it was worth it but it sounds like you and your wife gave up alot. Is a KQ that great a thing?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am being 100% honest with the posting of my story, and I'm not making any larger statement of fact for anyone else other than what my own experiences have been. I didn't write this story to get big props to myself. I wrote this to let anyone else out there that may be wondering about their own future thinking they are alone or wondering where to go next. Thankfully my wife hasn't left me. I have bruised our marriage along the way. You can say, well if its not IM it'll be something else. It could be, but it wasn't. For me, this didn't come easy. We don't have kids and my wife works from home. We go to bed together every night and we get up together every morning. For quite some time now, we were in bed 7:30-8:00 and always up at 4:00am. That was really the only way I could get in that morning workout prior to work, work all day, then be able to do another workout in the pm. It gets lonely. It got lonely for Diane as well. This was just the daily routine.
I am very proud of my KQ. I feel like I have squeezed every last bit of toothpaste from my tube. To get any more paste to come out would take an amount of cost that I am simply not willing to give. That cost comes in many different forms. I am going to Kona to enjoy my accomplishment. I look forward to using my fitness to do some other things that I haven't allowed myself to do. I am not going to Kona to try to win, or even be competitive. I have concluded that for me, those costs are simply to high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a really awesome story and congrats on your qual and upcoming trip to Kona. You made so many sacrifices along the way and really deserve it.

But it may or may not be applicable to everyone in terms of "hope". From couch potato you went to a 3:42 run at IMWisconsin in your first IM. This means that you not only had massive dedication, but you picked the right parents for a half decent genetic starting point for long racing. More power to you. Some people no matter how much dedication will ever get there. So for some the "hope" may be legit, for others, it may be impossible.

FYI, I went 10:30 in my first IM and it took me to my 12th to Kona qual. A bunch of near misses along the way (including one by 8 seconds), but I would say number 5-10 I did not really put the full heart+soul+dedication into it and for 1-5 I was mainly focused Olympic tri racing and just kind of winged the long day at the IM. 11 and 12, I went all in and got the qual. But I clearly had a good genetic starting point. I have sone friends who probably trained as much over that time and never came within 2 hours of a qual. Thankfully there is now the legacy athlete program for them and rightfully so.

Enjoy the trip to Kona and everything it has to offer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, Just awesome.

Well done. An absolute inspiration to read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really awesome, inspiring story. I am three years into tri...got into it a lot later in life than you, but also to drop weight and get a healthier lifestyle (smoking three cigars on a Saturday was not an achievement to be proud of). I've got nowhere near the times you've got, but 4 70.3;s and 3 140.6's into the journey has told me it's the journey as much as the destination...and each of ours is different and challenging in its own way. Thanks for sharing yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great read. Just finished my first year of racing and have been thinking (especially after Kona) about the time/commitment level that'll be required to reach that level of competition. Your story injects a good dose of raw, candid realism into it.

Congrats both to you as well as your wife! : ) Diane sounds like a serious champ!
Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work!
Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
key take homes:

you made life decisions based on your A race
you trained consistently year in and year out for 6-7 years
you hired a great coach
you had some sort of genetic "gift" seeing that you did your first ironman in sub 11 with no real swimming, cycling, or running background.

congrats man, but stop posting stories like this. you're giving other people hope and motivation, which subsequently reduces my kq chances lol

Dont give up hope! No more rock climbing! Only biking this year!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Persistence will get you everywhere young man"

Gord Downie

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted earlier above, and again kudos for the great, sustained hard work. But as mentioned above, it's worth considering the counterpoint as well despite being ST-approved to train 18-22 hrs per week as an AGer. There's no way I could commit to that many hours training while working a 8-5PM job and with a young kid in tow.
Quote Reply
Re: Couch to KQ in 7 years [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To give you some perspective. 18-21h was is peak weak during the ironman build and it was only for a couple weeks.

if we take the year avg hour....we are around 11h week. that include week off etc. So a more realistic avg was in the 12-13h.

is it possible to go to kona with a family, kids, and professional job. well, if you have some kind of background we can exploit... it make it a lot easier. if it s starting from zero.... it as to be a 5-10 year plan because it s definitly a long term project. if you are a hard working and disciplinated person....genetic isnt a big factor in this equation.

but in the case of kevin...now that he is at KQ level.... he dosnt need to do as many hours to hold that level anymore.... he could ride that wave for a few years on less hours and a bit more normal life. It s the improving and breakthrough work that take the big hours...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: Oct 22, 17 21:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, great story.

My story is somewhat comparable, especially concerning the focussation and the frustrations underway, although I needed 10 years until I finally KQd last year (M55) for Kona 2017 (which I did thus 10 days ago).

I found since 3 years the solution to the stagnation I had before. I found the solution myself and in the years before I tried it which coaches which did not help though but costed me (besides money) only time because they did not see what I did wrong.

Congratulations, and have a lot of fun preparing for Kona.
Quote Reply

Prev Next