Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Couch Potato to 70.3 (first tri) - Race Report
Quote | Reply
I am 32 years old, married, and have three kids ages 10 months, 2 years, and 4 years.

My athletic background includes soccer from a young age through high school, pick-up basketball as a teenager through my early 20s, and biking around town from a young age to occasional road biking in my early to mid 20s.

In 2008, on a whim, I decided to train for a marathon. I spent a couple months getting in shape then followed a novice 18 week running plan to work my way up to 35 miles per week. I ran the marathon in 3:57:00 - then stopped running as it was a once and done endeavor.

Somewhere around 2013 and after our first child, I stopped my occasional road biking completely. Other than a couple seasons of an over 30 soccer, I was a couch potato for three years and terribly out of shape (+30 lbs from when I ran the marathon).

In March of 2016, on another whim, I decided to train for an Ironman. I always knew what an Ironman was from a young age (probably seeing it on TV?) but I just always thought it was impossible. After watching countless hours of Kona coverage on YouTube I finally decided it was time to scratch that itch. My wife (5 months pregnant with our 3rd kid) gave the okay and I hit the ground running the next day. I focused almost entirely on running to get into shape with a short term goal of running my local marathon at the end of the year. I spent 19 weeks getting in shape then followed another novice marathon plan for 16 weeks. I was hoping to beat my previous time of 3:57:00 but I came down with a nasty cold three days before the race. The peak of the cold was race day (November 13, 2016) but I still ran a 4:22:24 that I was happy with, I was just very disappointed that I couldn't perform at 100% after all the training I did.

Five days after the marathon I had my vasectomy taken care of and took a couple weeks off as I set up swim lessons. I purchased a five 30-minute lesson package at my local gym and started in December. I could swim in the sense that if I fell off a boat I would have been able to survive for a few hours treading water, but I would not have been able to swim more than a couple hundred yards before exhaustion. I was shocked at how terrible I was at swimming. I could only swim 25 yards for the longest time (see this thread). I was worried that I would never progress.

Sometime during the period that I was learning to swim, my wife gave her blessing that I could do Ironman Maryland in 2018 as well as my first triathlon which would be a local race in May 2017.

I spent the next 8 weeks hitting the pool and learning to swim, followed by 16 weeks of a custom 70.3 plan that I made.

I averaged roughly 9 hours per week of training for the 16 weeks leading up to the race.

12% Swimming (1 hour 7 minutes per week)
59% Biking (5 hours 22 minutes per week)
29% Running (2 hours 38 minutes per week)

I would have liked to spend more time in the pool than I did but it was hard logistically to get there while balancing family life.

-----

Lake Raystown 70.3 Race Report

My wife, kids, and parents stayed in a bungalow for two nights. It was right next to the transition area and the swim. It was a great family vacation. The kids loved it. It was very spectator friendly and my wife could take the kids back to the house as needed for food and naps during the race.

Only 24 athletes started the half race.

My swim went very well given that I first started swimming in December and that this was my first open water swim over 800 yards. It was a water start and a lot of my nerves were calmed while talking to other athletes floating in the water. Because there were so few athletes, I decided to start off to the side rather than in the very back. This way I would still be out of the way but also not have to pass anyone early on. I had no clue how I was doing compared to the rest of the field, but I did know I was swimming in a straight line and at a good pace for me. About half way through the second lap, I got run over by two athletes who were doing the Olympic race. The Olympic distance athletes started roughly two minutes after I completed lap one, so it made sense that the caught me and mowed me down. It really wasn't bad at all, I just kept doing my thing and holding my line to the buoy.

I came out of the water and of course my kids and family were screaming like crazy as I went into T1. My spirits were pretty high at this point because the worst part was over, and the fun part (bike) was just starting. I passed 6 or 7 people on the bike within the first 20 miles, then I did not see anybody until 2 miles into the run when I saw the leader coming back in from his out and back. I learned that he was a pro triathlete, which makes sense given that he had an 11 mile run lead on me. Second place came towards me about 15 minutes later, then it seemed like an eternity before I saw the next runner. I was beginning to worry that I missed a turn. It turns out I was in 5th place after my bike split which explains why I didn't see many people coming back from the out and back.

The turnaround point for the run was up a mountain, halfway down the other side, then turn around. At mile 5.5 and about 100 yards into the mountain my quads cramped up until I had to walk for 30 seconds. The rest of the race turned into a walk, run, walk, run. My quads would cramp no matter what pace I ran so after some trial and error I figured out that it was most efficient to run a bit faster than race pace before walking again, and I tried to keep the walking to a speed walk.

Swim: 0:46:11 (1:54 / 100 yards) 12th overall
T1: 2:16 3rd overall
Bike: 3:09:31 (17.7 MPH) (3,540 Elevation) 5th overall
T2: 1:35 4th overall
Run: 2:18:35 (0:10:35) (960 Elevation) 12th overall

Total: 6:18:07 9th overall

I was really happy with the race. I ran about a minute per mile slower than I was planning to, but I am wondering if killing it on the bike may have actually been worth it. It is hard to say if I still would have cramped if I spent 13 extra minutes on the bike. I was also very happy with my T1 and T2. My family said that I looked very smooth and fast even though I felt like I was taking my time and making sure I didn't screw anything up.

-----

My wife enjoyed spectating and was very impressed. She has already approved my next race which will be in September of this year. My ultimate goal is still the full Maryland next year but I enjoying the journey.

As you can tell from my times, I am not a very fast triathlete, but I do have experience balancing family life and my times may fall in line closer to some of you who are new to the sport.

Feel free to ask anything.

Tyler

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: May 26, 17 4:46
Quote Reply
Re: Couch Potato to 70.3 (first tri) - Race Report [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the finish.

We are at similar places in our lives, and while I am 6 years older, I have the same challenges: job, wife, 3 kids (7.5, 5, 18 months), and all the other stuff that goes with it.

As you transition to IM training, do not overlook your nutrition.The bike portion is entirely about fueling for the run (or run/walk, shuffle). Usually burning it on the bike just to be a little ahead in T2 pays you no dividends for a successful race. Andrew Starykowicz, aka "Starky" is typically seen as one of the strongest Pro tri cyclists; however, he usually blows up on the run or pulls out completely. Now granted, his sponsor contracts/bonuses may revolve around the fastest bike split (I have no idea), but I haven't seen Starky win many races recently.

Also, I would up your swim to 20% of our training load. Being tat you are a newer, going 2.4 miles is no walk in the park. Remember, you have a 2:20 time limit.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Couch Potato to 70.3 (first tri) - Race Report [Deacon Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice, Deacon. I'll be sure to continue taking nutrition seriously and try to set myself up for the run better. This race was very hilly and so is my next. I am going to take my training to another level this time and be more prepared.

Quote Reply
Re: Couch Potato to 70.3 (first tri) - Race Report [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work! and Congrats!

This course is (was) no joke. Hardest thing I've done.

My first time doing the half but I had done the Olympic every other year.

Stinks that it isn't coming back although I'd probably dial it back down to the Olympic. That half course almost broke me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, it must have been tough doing a half for your first triathlon. I did my first 140.6 last year at the age of 51, although I had already completed five 70.3's previously, since beginning with the sport four years earlier. My coach claims that most people who start a 140.6 race are fit enough to finish within the 17 hours they give you, but those who don't usually have made a mistake in either pacing or nutrition. You don't say how you plan to tackle the pacing, but a lot of people use power meters to limit the bike output to about sixty percent of their max sustainable output in order to save some for the run. In training for the full, don't underestimate how tiring a seven hour bike ride is, especially in hilly terrain, you'll want to practice that a few times. Another thing that I'm glad that I did was to resolve to be satisfied in my time, no matter what, as long as I finished this first one. It seemed to me that if I was going to put in all that time and effort training, to have a "let down" moment afterwards would have been just about the stupidest thing I could have done. So, during the race, when I started run-walking ten miles into the run, rather than focusing on all of the time ticking away, I realized that I still could take five hours to finish the last sixteen, and was overwhelmed with happiness and the realization that I was to become an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nicely done; cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was a great story!! It encourages me as I am just starting off and can relate with the wife and kids situation.

What made you want to do your race, and why did you choose a 70.3 as your first one?
Quote Reply
Re: Couch Potato to 70.3 (first tri) - Race Report [TrijerryTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrijerryTri wrote:
This was a great story!! It encourages me as I am just starting off and can relate with the wife and kids situation.

What made you want to do your race, and why did you choose a 70.3 as your first one?

Great, I am glad you can relate.

For choosing my first race, the sprint never interested me. I knew if I put the time into swimming I could handle starting at Olympic distance. After reading wikipedia and learning that the 70.3 is only an extra .3 miles on the swim, I decided to train for that. I really liked the idea of doubling the bike and run but not the swim. I felt like that made the jump much more easy. If the swim had been 1.8 miles then it would have probably been intimidating enough to start at Olympic.

I chose this race because of it being within 2 hours and it had cabins and bungalows that you could rent very close to the race. Logistically for my family it was perfect. It also helped calm a lot of my nerves by being able to bike the course with my dad weeks in advance. We also biked the run course and I did some open water swimming a couple days before. Another thing that appealed to me was that it was a small field of athletes so the chaos of the swim was less intimidating.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations and enjoy the continued training.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a 46 minute 70.3 swim is more like 2:11/100y. That caught my eye because I'm a slowww swimmer.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Maybe I will use your strategy of a smaller race so I don't feel intimidated either.

Thanks for your input!
Quote Reply