Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cost of installing a powetap hub to an existing wheel.
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I am getting ready to purchase a power tap rear hub . I am wondering ( ball park Figure) What would be a reasonable cost for most bike shops to remove the existing hub on my flo wheel and replace it with the powertap hub.
Thanks in advance as I am new to power meters.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of installing a powetap hub to an existing wheel. [Bubblehead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you have a Flo 30 rim, I don't think a PT b is compatible.

But as for the cost, it will depend on the shop, but IIRC from when I had my done, it was $100 or less (including spokes).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of installing a powetap hub to an existing wheel. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes they are FLO 30s. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of installing a powetap hub to an existing wheel. [Bubblehead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my LBS told me $30 plus whatever the spokes cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mine was about $30 plus the cost of the spokes - but sapim spokes add up to a decent addition (it was my race wheel)

looking back I could have sold my wheel (a Jet60) and bought something similar (used) with an equivalent PT and been a lot less out of pocket than adding the PT to a nice wheel I already owned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hub flange on the PT is higher than the Flo hub so your existing spokes can probably be cut and retreaded to work. I put a PT in my Flo 60 and my local shop charged 40$, cut my spokes, and they worked fine. The hard part will be finding a shop with a spoke cutter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a thought - reusing the rim from your existing Flo 30 will cost you roughly $100 if you get aero spokes. So for the cost of the PowerTap hub + $100 you now have one very nice rear wheel. You could buy a Flo 30 rim for $80. It will still cost you $100 to lace it to your PowerTap, but for that $80 differential you now have two nice rear wheels, one with power and one standard. Flo 30 rims are typically stock items, you don't need to wait for a sale.

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of installing a powetap hub to an existing wheel. [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner... Thanks Brian.. That makes perfect sense. I will definitely pursue it.
I would of never thought of that. Thanks again and thank you STers for all for your replies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick note - if you go with aero spokes in that option, they will likely have to slot the holes on the hub flanges to accept an aero spoke.....this will void the hub warranty and likely add cost.

But there really isn't a lot of benefit to aero spokes in the back....and you should be running a wheel cover anyway. Wink

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of installing a powetap hub to an existing wheel. [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerTap hubs accept CX-Ray and DT Aerolite without modification

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of installing a powetap hub to an existing wheel. [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
PowerTap hubs accept CX-Ray and DT Aerolite without modification

Brian

Really? Good to know....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a G3 built into a Zipp 101 at my LBS for $40 plus the spokes, which I purchased from WheelBuilder.com after consulting with them on spoke choice. I've been using the wheel really hard for the last 9 mos, and so far I'm very happy with the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
Just a thought - reusing the rim from your existing Flo 30 will cost you roughly $100 if you get aero spokes. So for the cost of the PowerTap hub + $100 you now have one very nice rear wheel. You could buy a Flo 30 rim for $80. It will still cost you $100 to lace it to your PowerTap, but for that $80 differential you now have two nice rear wheels, one with power and one standard. Flo 30 rims are typically stock items, you don't need to wait for a sale.

Brian

That's what I would do :)

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I am getting ready to purchase a power tap rear hub . I am wondering ( ball park Figure) What would be a reasonable cost for most bike shops to remove the existing hub on my flo wheel and replace it with the powertap hub.
Thanks in advance as I am new to power meters.

Most bike shops are pretty useless building wheels. I would charge $80 plus materials (spokes and nipples), plus shipping. But it would be less if you bought the hub from me. PT is running a black friday 20% off deal, BTW.

It would probably make more sense to start with a new rim (Flo sells them) and sell you old one or use it as a spare.

Quote Reply