Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cost of a coach
Quote | Reply
How much should I pay for a good local coach. What is the normal price you pay? I just want to get the best bang for my buck.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [breezy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much time do you want the coach to spend on you?

How good do you need the coach to be?

---

Looking at your old data will take a lot of time. Determining how your body reacts to training will take a lot of analysis. Following you as you train might cost a lot. Might cost a lot. Might produce benefits.

Setting up an annual plan based on some book will not take much time. Might not benefit you much either.

---

everyday I bicycle past a bunch of high school kids out running. Their coach is in hte area. I expect that the cost of their coaching is insignificant. I expect they don't get much personal coaching either. (I was climbing a hill at 300w. several of them ran faster than I was bicycling.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where do you live. For example, cost of coaching in NY will differ than say Florida.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to the search function and you'll find a ton of info on this subject.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3799436 Is one example, but it takes about 30 posts before it starts to get informative.

If you want quality, knowledge and experience expect to pay for it. There is no reason to stay local unless you have some overriding issue. Coaching remote is the norm given that good coaches live all over the world as do athletes.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [mrw42976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in the Midwest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pay $100.00/ month for my coach.
This is what that $100.00 gets me-
-Month long training schedules based on the races I select at the beginning of the year. This schedule is made around my work schedule which is a weird 7 week rotating schedule. In all honesty, just making me a plan out of my constantly changing work schedule is worth $100.00/month to me
- Unlimited communication via email or phone with my coach. She would even let me come see her in person but It is too far to drive on a normal basis.
- I get unlimited changes to my schedule if something comes up (Work, Family matters, etc)
- She will look at my diet and make reccomendations.
- I get swim lessons with her and run lessons with the companies running coach for only $10.00. They call them "group lessons", but it is really only about 3-5 people
and I get a ton of help from it.
- She will give me free pedal scans and power threshold scans on her computrainer.
- She will make me a stretching plan as well as a strength training plan if I want it. I don't use this as I am lucky enough to have a g/f that is an NCAA Strength and Conditioning coach.
- And most important, I get someone that hold me accountable and pushes me.

I have looked at alot of the popular online coaches and feel like I am getting alot for my money. I was self coached for my first couple years of tri. This last year was my first full season with a coach and we improved my HIM time by 25 mins putting me right at 5hrs. That was the same course, same conditions. It would have been faster but i sprained my ankle on a taper run 9 days before the race. Not sure where you are, but if you are in Charlotte, NC let me know. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The midwest is a big place. Don't value local over experience and knowledge.

You should get a schedule based on the time you have available to train on average and what you have available for the next week. You should get frequent feedback--at least as often as once/week or as often as you provide feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was paying $300+ per month for my coach. Certainly had better results than when I was self directed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first year with a coach due to my first full ironman in September and I pay $250 a month. The race is nine months away and yet, I'm working harder than I ever did on my own. Weekly feedback. Weekly adjustment of workouts. No results to speak of yet. First Oly is April 7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bang for the buck is the right way to look at it. A GOOD personal coach (that is taking new athletes) can be the best, but expect $250+/month. The cookie cutter online programs are better than nothing and cheap $50-100/month. What you might be interested is something in between - check out http://www.youtri.com for that. Really depends on your budget

Quote | Reply
I'm in Iowa and using Zoom Performance and am in their "distance" program at $195/mo. Great coaching with daily workouts sent down through Training Peaks. While I could read all the books and likely plan out my own path eventually in doing an Ironman, this takes the guess-work out of it for me, and allows me to just spend the time getting it done. Here is a link, and if you look under the various coaches, all their pricing is shown. My coach has been amazing to work with, and really helped me to focus toward my goals. http://getzoomperformance.com/page.php?pageID=24
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [bmsumpter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Evening,

As I was cruising the internet this eve, looking for a tri coach for my wife I stumbled upon Slowtwitch and its wealth of knowledge and then I found the arena on coaches and I found your post to be most intriguing since we only live about 90 minutes or less from Charlotte. Could you give me a little info on your coach? Name, email, phone perhaps? How much experience does your coach have, what type of experience? My wife is currently at a 5:33 HIM and around an hour or so for sprint tris, where might or what might do you think your coach co expand upon? She has never had coaching, only her second full season of tris and only a few years away from weighing in at 200 pounds where now she is at 135-140! Currently she is dealing with an it band issue and rehabbing it and as though things are going great with the rehab she has discovered that on her own is no longer a real option, that to get better she needs a coach, period. Perhaps you could shed a little light, perhaps your coach?

Thanks,

Micah Wise

fmu_00@yahoo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmsumpter wrote:
-Month long training schedules based on the races I select at the beginning of the year. This schedule is made around my work schedule which is a weird 7 week rotating schedule. In all honesty, just making me a plan out of my constantly changing work schedule is worth $100.00/month to me
- Unlimited communication via email or phone with my coach. She would even let me come see her in person but It is too far to drive on a normal basis.
- I get unlimited changes to my schedule if something comes up (Work, Family matters, etc)
- I get swim lessons with her and run lessons with the companies running coach for only $10.00. They call them "group lessons", but it is really only about 3-5 people
- She will give me free pedal scans and power threshold scans on her computrainer.
- She will make me a stretching plan as well as a strength training plan if I want it. I don't use this as I am lucky enough to have a g/f that is an NCAA Strength and Conditioning coach.

I have looked at alot of the popular online coaches and feel like I am getting alot for my money. I was self coached for my first couple years of tri. This last year was my first full season with a coach and we improved my HIM time by 25 mins putting me right at 5hrs. That was the same course, same conditions. It would have been faster but i sprained my ankle on a taper run 9 days before the race. Not sure where you are, but if you are in Charlotte, NC let me know. Hope this helps.

Sounds like you're getting everything one would expect from an online coach. At $100/month that is a steal on her time too.

Maybe you should give her the courtesy of a plug - and name her :)

Just my .2 cents.
Last edited by: Salmon Steve: May 28, 15 21:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes please enlighten us bmsumpter!
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$100/month is crazy cheap. She'd need 30 athletes to make $36k/year (before taxes/costs), and with 30 athletes that doesn't leave her much time to actually do all of services below. Let's say each athlete takes 2hrs/time per week, that's a 60 hour work week @ $12.50/hour.

It doesn't add up to me, but if it's true then Gawd bless 'er
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely not a get-rich business, that's for sure. I paid $150/month and had a great deal on it. However, it seemed excessive after a while to spend $150/month out of a family budget for gains in a hobby I'm never going to make any money from and one in which the difference between 3rd place and 30th place really means nothing in the scheme of things. In the scheme of things I determined that the $150/month is much better spent toward doing something to create better memories (cycling vacations! family trips!) and continue beefing up my children's college savings. And that seems to be working since my 4.5 year old son has much more money in college savings than I had when I left for college.

But for those with the cash to burn or for whom it's a priority to get every edge they can, coaching is a fantastic way to go. It'll take an athlete farther than any gear upgrades possibly could. I was far fitter and less stressed out about what to do to train. But it also didn't make me any smarter on race day, just better prepared physically.

dado0583 wrote:
$100/month is crazy cheap. She'd need 30 athletes to make $36k/year (before taxes/costs), and with 30 athletes that doesn't leave her much time to actually do all of services below. Let's say each athlete takes 2hrs/time per week, that's a 60 hour work week @ $12.50/hour.

It doesn't add up to me, but if it's true then Gawd bless 'er
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmsumpter wrote:
And most important, I get someone that holds me accountable

I've never quite understood this part. You need someone to motivate you to do a hobby that you are already spending thousands of dollars a year on?

I think that when I get to the point that I feel I need to pay someone to make me do triathlons, I'm hanging it up.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have different price points depending on the level of attention needed. But at the same time, none of the coaches necessarily hold firm to those "restrictions". We work in an office 9-5 everyday and so athletes honestly have access through email / skype / phone. I have Level 1 athletes (weekly power review, 1 call per/month, etc) that I will honestly talk to 3-4x per month outside of just review.

We require Multisport athletes to go to higher levels, but they also get more attention to detail for a 3 discipline sport that requires lots of adjustments based on time / injury / etc.

It's a business of customer service. Many coaches don't understand that. It's not a way to get rich, you have to offer above and beyond services. I really don't understand how anyone can coach for $100/mo and not do it full time.

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist / Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the same as bmsumpter...my coach charges $100/month. She is WAY underpriced , and I tell her that she should charge more.
She has coached hundreds of IM finishes, as well as ultrarunners, road and bike racers. She coaches all levels, and she has gotten me to Kona 8 of the last 10 years, and has a couple of other Kona qualifiers. Despite coaching me for 10 years, she is still coming up with new ways to make me suffer!
She has ~60 clients, mainly in the Phoenix area, but also does some online coaching. She works hard, but really loves it, and has a talent for pushing me to my limit.
I'm gonna give her a plug
Cheryl Miller http://www.getfittraining.net/

Paul Bakerman
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [IMPBAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60 clients? I can only imagine how personalized and highly customized those 60 plans are.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would be surprised...they are very customized.
Training for the same race, no two plans are the same (I know that from comparing plans on group rides), variations are based on individual strengths and weaknesses. I know it's hard to believe, but she knows everyone's story off the top of her head.
Everyone who trains with her feels like she knows them. But you don't have to believe it, just trying to share a great coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I set up a coaching LLC. We are the only two clients of our coaching company! We pay $200 a month for their coaching services. They give unlimited face to face communication, plans, dietary advice, violin playing, ext.

The LLC has invested wisely in equities and fixed income securities. At this point in time we have contributed approx $12000 fees. After a few expenses (such as books and magazines) the LLC has a FMV of approx $16000. Some day, in our retirement, that money will be disbursed to my wife an I!

Both my wife and I have achieved great success with the current arrangement. My results have improved each and every year. I am getting near the sharp end of the AG ranks.

I would never go the self coaching route! Just doesn't make any cents.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmsumpter wrote:

I have looked at alot of the popular online coaches and feel like I am getting alot for my money. I was self coached for my first couple years of tri. This last year was my first full season with a coach and we improved my HIM time by 25 mins putting me right at 5hrs..

I was paying $250 a month and didn't get half the level of services you outline. What you describe is really what I wanted. I crashed which required surgery so I haven't gone back as I'm not really able to hit full training mode. If it was me, I'd keep that coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [IMPBAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60 clients?? Holy cow, that's impressive if she can honestly make everyone's plan different according to their strengths and weaknesses. Props...just hard to believe when 30-35 requires 40+ hours of my time.

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist / Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of a coach [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
60 clients? I can only imagine how personalized and highly customized those 60 plans are.

"60 clients" may mean different things, depending on local vs dedicated file analysis (etc) coaching where you may have a squad based program or perhaps some "lifestyle" clients who may want to be just there for atmosphere and some advice but not a specific program.

We have more than a few people who want to come back to the group but don't want the pressure of a "structured program" they are paying so I still call them "clients" basically get some good work done, re-connect with old friends but not really focused training., just occasional focused work outs.

We have 21 with 3-8 drop ins (runs-track tempo and long with extension), and about 15 (4-6 drop ins) in 25 SCM (3 lanes booked) so some are just runners other roadies and most IM or HIM specific, some doing Ultras and such.

We have shut down as 21 + drop ins is very hard to manage in a group setting with a wide degree of ability (from KQ to "lifestyle") , not saying that other coaches couldn't do it better but that is the limit for me.

20+ people on the track looking at execution and times is doable (different leave times and multiple watches) but really challenges a coach's abilities….you have to be really focused, perhaps blunt and sometimes a bit of a dick. Also a difference between away programs and interactive programs where you see athletes 7-20 hours a week, and have a bit more luxury with time IE you can control and correct certain things immediately.

My 2c

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next