Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Correlating Tri Bike Fit to a Backup Road Bike for Short-Tall rider
Quote | Reply
When I was preparing to do my first triathlon, I did what a lot of people do-bought the first used road bike I could find that looked like it was probably my size. Road it for about a year, then before my first 70.3, I paid lots of money (well spent) for a fit and report to help me with a list of tt bikes that would fit me. Then I went shopping. On a TT bike, I need a super tall, but short bike to accommodate my short torso, long legs. Specifically, stack-580, reach 390. I wound up with a Kestrel 4000, and fell in love. Good bye knee pain, etc. etc.
I kept my roadie (Felt F75) as a back up/trainer bike. This is the bike I had the fit done on, and the fitter informed me it was ridiculously too long for me, and a bit exasperated, tried to dial it in to get it as comfortable as possible. Poor guy. Anyway, at the fitter's suggestion I bought smaller handle bars, tweaked some things here and there, but drew the line at going so far as to sacrifice handling.
Fast forward a year-now that I know what being comfortable on a bike feels like, when I do ride my road bike, I can only stand it for really short rides. I feel so stretched out, it's impossible for me to get comfortable and feel like I have no power.

SO! I have decided to sell my roadie and get one that fits me better. My question is... short of spending a lot of money on ANOTHER fit report for a back up road bike... what are some ways to determine some road bikes that would fit a short-tall rider? I have done some looking on the dealer's pages and google, but can't see a whole lot about geometry. Also, I'm looking to buy used (I'd like to keep my money in my tt bike), and there aren't a whole lot of bike shop options in my area, so that kind of rules out a packaged deal (fit and bike) at a store, unless absolutely necessary.

Ideas???

http://trismashley.blogspot.com
Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing. -Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Correlating Tri Bike Fit to a Backup Road Bike for Short-Tall rider [trismashley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a few good options that can help you. First and foremost I am not a fitter. I've done many, I'm well read, and I know just enough to be dangerous as I call it. I can point you in the right direction but cross reference with somebody with more experience before you purchase.

With that out of the way here are the options as I see them. Road bike fits are a lot more forgiving than a TT fit so keep that in mind. Also get the current setup on the old road bike mapped out so you know what DOESNT work for you. Get your saddle height, reach and stack. It's easily done with a tape measure. I assume you have got the saddle height correct where you only mentioned reach issues. The next thing I'd do is purchase an App (Bike Fast Fit) and get the details on the angles you have on the current bike. You then should be able to surmise what changes to reach, stack and saddle height will be ideal for you.

Check out these basic guides: GCN Basic Fit , GCN How To Perform Fit

Almost all bike manufacturers publish geometry for their bikes. It may be in the user manual but more often than not it's on the models website.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Aug 27, 15 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Correlating Tri Bike Fit to a Backup Road Bike for Short-Tall rider [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! That makes me feel better that road bikes are more forgiving. Can't seem to find the app on Android though :/

http://trismashley.blogspot.com
Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing. -Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply