Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten
Quote | Reply
VERY popular swimming spot.

Apparently woman with severe bite marks on upper torso and shoulder. Stable and expected to survive. Happened just outside the buoy line (lots of triathletes swim there).

Lifeguard rumors are that it wasn't a shark but a sea lion?
Last edited by: windschatten: May 29, 16 20:36
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah all over the news of course. They'll know by the bite marks (and sea lion bites can be NASTY) but saying they didn't see a shark in the area, which I wouldn't find all that surprising since she flagged the guards down

Hopefully not the start to another Summer of the Shark! and people calm the f down
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing can be done about the sharks in the area, but if there are aggressive sea lions around the piers and jetties, something can be done against that.

I hope if it was a sea lion, they figure it out and take actions.

Went for a swim early this morning off LB main beach.

Did throw some seri
ChrisM wrote:
Yeah all over the news of course. They'll know by the bite marks (and sea lion bites can be NASTY) but saying they didn't see a shark in the area, which I wouldn't find all that surprising since she flagged the guards down

Hopefully not the start to another Summer of the Shark! and people calm the f down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As posted its a popular swim training spot for triathletes in OC. Until this year I swam there 2-5x a week so I know it well. ST swimmer Halfspeed and his crew are regulars. There's sharks but we just don't see them often. As for seal lions a few years ago there was one floating on his back on the buoy line we use to swim. To say the least we gave him some room. If it was a Great White it's got to be a juvenile or she'd be gone.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 30, 16 14:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very rare to have aggressive sea lions unless they're sick, happened a few years back with the red tide, they were affected by a neurotoxin, can't remember the name at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
News is now saying NPB lifeguards confirm its a shark attack.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't swim much at Corona any more. I swim with the OW pod at Shaw's Cove and Oak Street in Laguna. On another forum, it was reported they closed two miles of beaches. I wanted to say that I'm pretty sure a shark can swim more than two miles. I'll be in the ocean tomorrow morning, 6:00. Could be my famous last words, but, I'm not bothered by this.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White Shark. Likely a juvenille.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One reason I don't like ocean swims

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a shark. Mostlikely GWS, but big makos also eat seals and sea lions.

Chomped and spit when it realised she wasnt a seal is most likely scenario.

Thanks to the explosion in seal and sea lion population, there are a LOT more of these sharks around than a couple decades ago, and they are all getting to the size where they start eating marine mammals
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought dusk and dawn are the worst times to ocean swim because sharks don't see very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Accdg to long beach scientists it's actually a byproduct of a healthier inshore ocean (especailly here in Santa Monica bay). The juvenile whites that hang near shore mostly eat rays and other bottom dwellers, which have exploded.

They say they know where the juvies are and the big 12+ footers are out at the islands generally. But they don't really know where the "teenagers" go, the ones 6-12 feet that are learning how to become predators.

A sharky ocean is a healthy ocean. I'll be back out next Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I agree that a healthy supply of alpha predators CAN be a sign of a healthy ecosystm, those scientists saying there isn't a developing problem in socal with GWS have a HUUUUUGE blind spot when it comes to sharks, large ones in particular.

Talk to your local freedivers or commercial fishermen. The PhDs studying these things don't, or ignore their (the divers, fishermen) observations because they are not PhD, or worse yet, blow hem off as "anecdotal", but there are more, and more BIG whiteys around than any time in the last 50 years. Sea world, friends of the sea lions, etc rescuing hundreds of pups that would normally be starving and releasing them back into an ecosystem that is already past it's carrying capacity isn't helping the situation eithier, but it sure is giving all these growing sharks a steady food supply.
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't swim much at Corona any more. I swim with the OW pod at Shaw's Cove and Oak Street in Laguna. On another forum, it was reported they closed two miles of beaches. I wanted to say that I'm pretty sure a shark can swim more than two miles. I'll be in the ocean tomorrow morning, 6:00. Could be my famous last words, but, I'm not bothered by this.
--------------------------------------------
Steve, funny I'm sure whitey is hanging at Laguna too, quick swim to check out Shaws and the surf at Oak St :) I'm sure the Sharks like looking for eats in the kelp between CDM and Dana Point.
Maybe some divers were spear fishing in the area attracting the shark.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
ea world, friends of the sea lions, etc rescuing hundreds of pups that would normally be starving and releasing them back into an ecosystem that is already past it's carrying capacity isn't helping the situation eithier, but it sure is giving all these growing sharks a steady food supply.

Technically speaking it's not past its carrying capacity since the populations have been growing.

Also saving a few hundred pups probably has a negligible effect on combined population approaching 800,000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She was a local triathlete.

Best brave and fearless wishes to Maria today. This triathlete survived a shark attack off Corona Del Mar state beach yesterday--she swims where we all swim and she faced what we all fear. Her fitness and strength saved her life. We at Team Fearless Endurance are so thankful Maria will be OK and we hope so see her out training again soon. Send well wishes to her through her team , Tri La Vie, or via FB message.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, this weekend is Xterra Laguna Beach, what will they do? Not sure if I will race now.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raceboy wrote:
Hmm, this weekend is Xterra Laguna Beach, what will they do? Not sure if I will race now.
In Reply To:

There were sharks in the water before this incident

There will be sharks in the water after this incident
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
true, never been one to worry about sharks but...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
raceboy wrote:
In Reply To:

So you are saying there are sharks in the water?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam this AM - Shaw's to Seal Rock and back. No sharks, but water was freakin cold - sub-60. No wetsuit! Another group went south and one ran into a scuba tank/bcd caught in the kelp near Rockpile. Very odd. She reported it to the Marine Safety Office.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve25 wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
raceboy wrote:
In Reply To:

A good test is to taste the water. Salty? Gonna have sharks. Fresh? Probably not gonna have sharks.... unless it's a bull shark that swam upriver :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
steve25 wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
raceboy wrote:
In Reply To:

A good test is to taste the water. Salty? Gonna have sharks. Fresh? Probably not gonna have sharks.... unless it's a bull shark that swam upriver :)

Makes sense. For Ventura and Oceanside I only tasted diesel. For IMAZ I didn't open my mouth :)
Quote Reply
Re: Corona Del Mar, NB; CA: Swimmer severely bitten [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve25 wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
steve25 wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
raceboy wrote:
In Reply To:

Makes sense. For Ventura and Oceanside I only tasted diesel. For IMAZ I didn't open my mouth :)

Forgot about diesel... I think other than the risk of sudden immolation I think we're safe in diesel!

Smart man at IMAZ
Quote Reply

Prev Next