Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'Core routine'
Quote | Reply
Looking at a 50km running training plan. It suggests a twice weekly 'core routine'.

Should I use the time to run more/recover/cross train instead? If not, then what should I be doing?
Quote Reply
Re: 'Core routine' [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
Looking at a 50km running training plan. It suggests a twice weekly 'core routine'.

Should I use the time to run more/recover/cross train instead? If not, then what should I be doing?

Core referring to an ab workout or something similar. sit-ups, push-ups, planks, side-planks, stuff like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Core workouts can be as little as 10-20 minutes of some basic body weight exercises. When I was running a lot last winter (6 days, 8 runs) I would do 4 core workouts a week. Unusually consisted of various planks, dead lifts with light weight and a few other things.
Quote Reply
Re: 'Core routine' [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you find it helpful? Or is core work a bit like stretching (more tradition-based than evidence-based?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
Did you find it helpful? Or is core work a bit like stretching (more tradition-based than evidence-based?)

Yes, I find core work significantly more beneficial than stretching. I have never tried looking up studies on either subject though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/...tional+patterns+core

Check these videos but you need to make sure you have no restrictions first, depending how messed up your posture is its around 100 hours of myofascial release to remove restrictions so you can do these workouts must be able to integrate 3 pillers of posture while just standing then apply that to movement
Quote Reply
Re: 'Core routine' [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack the thread, but anybody know of a set of core exercises that can be done with a slinged arm? Broke my radial head the other day and can't even do regular planks or crunches without wincing.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10327392
Quote Reply
Re: 'Core routine' [jenniferpelota] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jenniferpelota wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but anybody know of a set of core exercises that can be done with a slinged arm? Broke my radial head the other day and can't even do regular planks or crunches without wincing.

wait till it heals whats the point in training with a broken bones? the whole body has to work and crunches and planks don't really do anything, you cant use them in a real life situation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:

I try to do 30 minute "core" exercises 3 times a week. When I do not do them, I risk my back, etc. acting up.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that a 50 km per week plan, or building up to a 50 km race? For both, some kind of core work will be beneficial, but for the latter IMO it'll be essential to running strong over that distance and staying injury free during training. Have a look at these as a starting point and you'll soon work out what is working well for you:

http://www.runnersworld.com/...e-workout?nopaging=1

http://www.outsideonline.com/...xanders-core-workout
Quote Reply
Re: 'Core routine' [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do quite a bit of core work after getting injured now and then.
This is my basic routine, I might add some more stuff if I feel like it

4x25sec Bird Dog (each side)
3x30 Crunches
3x30 Side crunch
3x20 Endo and Exorotation shoulders with resistance band
3x20 Reverse sit-up on stability ball
3x20 Singled legged squat
3x10 Clamp with resistance band
3x30sec Single legged bridge
3x15 Push up on stability ball
3x60sec Plank on balance board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search youtube for Zuzka Light and you can thank me later..
Quote Reply
Re: 'Core routine' [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50km race

Currently run 50-60km/week and don't do any core work at all. As the mileage goes up, it looks like something I'll need to pay some attention,

Thanks - the runner's world page is great - that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can highly recommend the runtastic leg app, its brilliant! Its really helped me get into the habit of a regular routine and I certainly feel stronger! I'm coming off the back of a running injury and I think its this app thats helped me get back into running

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: 'Core routine' [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Search youtube for Zuzka Light and you can thank me later..

wow..thank you! I just got motivated to do core work
Quote Reply