Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Core Diet for Weight Loss
Quote | Reply
Looking in to nutrition guidance to drop some weight. Anyone have experience with The Core Diet? Good, Bad, worth it, etc??
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's fine but ultimately calories matter.

Don't eat crap, don't drink beers, don't take silly supplements (FRF), eat real food, careful with oils/nuts/nut butters.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
It's fine but ultimately calories matter.

Don't eat crap, don't drink beers, don't take silly supplements (FRF), eat real food, careful with oils/nuts/nut butters.

Did you do the core diet nutrition plan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you go on a diet. I'd recommmend two things. Get a digital food scale and sign up for my fitness pal. For a week just write down everything you eat and drink. I'd be willing to bet that there are an 'easy' to purge group of foods. Counting calories is a pain in the ass but it works.

Personally I shoot for 2300 cal a day. I'm 34 m 200lb and train 8-10 hrs a week. When i consistently hit my calorie goals i drop weight.

Diets are difficult especially if you are going against the grain of your family.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. They like to play around with timing of grains to help balance blood sugar, better utilize fat.

Honestly, it over complicates things

Given someone who was formerly overweight (both of us), I've found that just focusing on better eating habits/routines has been far more beneficial than manipulation of macronutrients.

Ive also found that focus hard on fueling before/during/after sessions has been great for helping develop better eating habits.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
Yup. They like to play around with timing of grains to help balance blood sugar, better utilize fat.

Given someone who was formerly overweight (both of us), I've found that just focusing on better eating habits/routines has been far more beneficial than manipulation of macronutrients.

Ive also found that focus hard on fueling before/during/after sessions has been great for helping develop better eating habits.

Thanks.....I need to get back on track with what you and others have said, but am reading the book that Jesse put out and sometimes someone else providing structure helps me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
T.Skelton wrote:

Thanks.....I need to get back on track with what you and others have said, but am reading the book that Jesse put out and sometimes someone else providing structure helps me.

I understand what you mean about someone providing the structure for you...but it doesn't teach you to do it for yourself. You don't want someone having to keep you on track for the rest of your life, do you?

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
T.Skelton wrote:

I understand what you mean about someone providing the structure for you...but it doesn't teach you to do it for yourself. You don't want someone having to keep you on track for the rest of your life, do you?

Nope....but I can just continue to copy their process....if it works...but it sounds like it is nothing earth shattering of a "diet"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit over the top with all this, but last year I was a FOP triathlete at 155ish#. I thought I was fit. I got on the myfitnesspal bandwagon over the winter. I quit tri to cycle only and am down to probably 4% BF and 142ish#. I've never been this fit. I've never felt so good. I'm going to turn 40 in November and have been a life long endurance athlete. I wish I knew 15 years ago what I know now!

Almost everyone has a ton of crap they can cut from their diets. But can you or do you want to do that? You must be consistent. You probably need to log and maybe measure everything you eat at least to start.

I got lucky. I picked a target (2300) and hit it right away and steadily lost about 1/2# per week. I have been at it since the first of the year. I've done some very intense training while losing weight. I've done some 20 hour / 400 mile weeks. I haven't been sick or missed a single day of training. I've lost almost 15# and my FTP is up if anything.

You simply have to be consistent. Period. It's all about calories IMO. The better you eat the more you crave good food. I can eat raw veggies by the fist full and enjoy it! I still have days where I just let loose and over eat by a ton and eat crap. But 5-6 days per week I'm absolutely dialed. My opinion on diets....if it has a name you probably shouldn't do it.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I'm a bit over the top with all this, but last year I was a FOP triathlete at 155ish#. I thought I was fit. I got on the myfitnesspal bandwagon over the winter. I quit tri to cycle only and am down to probably 4% BF and 142ish#. I've never been this fit. I've never felt so good. I'm going to turn 40 in November and have been a life long endurance athlete. I wish I knew 15 years ago what I know now!

Almost everyone has a ton of crap they can cut from their diets. But can you or do you want to do that? You must be consistent. You probably need to log and maybe measure everything you eat at least to start.

I got lucky. I picked a target (2300) and hit it right away and steadily lost about 1/2# per week. I have been at it since the first of the year. I've done some very intense training while losing weight. I've done some 20 hour / 400 mile weeks. I haven't been sick or missed a single day of training. I've lost almost 15# and my FTP is up if anything.

You simply have to be consistent. Period. It's all about calories IMO. The better you eat the more you crave good food. I can eat raw veggies by the fist full and enjoy it! I still have days where I just let loose and over eat by a ton and eat crap. But 5-6 days per week I'm absolutely dialed. My opinion on diets....if it has a name you probably shouldn't do it.

Agree with this totally

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a few examples of foods I've mostly cut for the OP and everyone else.

Almost all dairy. I still eat greek yogurt a lot. Probably about 1.5 cups / day. But I cut milk almost completely. I used to have 3 glasses of milk / day. That's 300 calories that I can better utilize elsewhere.

I try to lower sugar in everything. That puts more quality calories in my pocket to use other ways.

Snacks....these REALLY add up.

I eat a lot of fat. My general macro break down is under 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat. So it just happens to be almost exactly the recommended daily % per myfitnesspal. That's not on purpose.

I eat lots of coconut oil. Lots of peanut butter. Lots of fruit and veggies. Lots of energy bars (cause I love them). I just eat a lot of nutrient dense food. And feel great doing it. But that big greasy burger or pizza or ice cream now and then still happens. I'm not professional. But I try to eat like one...most of the time :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe not exactly what your looking for but over the year, i see nutrition as extremely simple and every time i sit down with athlete.... they know most of the time what to cut to start losing weight. ultimatly, you need to keep it very simple.... make change that wont be necessarly easy, and it s ok to be ''hungry'' once in awhile!

here s humoristic post that resume a VERY simple and effective strategy to lose weight

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1192183

These are the rules i received from desert dude to get ready for ironman azizona. He is very hard on is athletes and when you are accepted to train at the Laveen high performance training center.....you need to step it up..... so for anyone that need to shave off a few pounds for the coming season, stick to this...it really works!!!!

i went from 149lbs(ironman hawaii) to 137 lbs (now)

By Desert Dude strict rules for eating while at the LHPTC. They are as follows:

1. No eating after 7:30 unless coming back from a late evening workout over 30min. If under 30min you may have 1 gel and a piece of fruit or 1 energy bar.

2. Dinner is all you can eat, as long as it fits on the coffee saucer the first time. There are no refills in this all you can eat establishment.

3. Hungry at night? Tough - you should have eaten more throughout the day. Have a glass of water instead of whining. Whiners pay rent irregardless if they trained that day or not.

4. eat something within 20 min of completing all workouts.

5. Insure you are taking in adequate calories during your day

6. Eat a bigger breakfast or lunch if you feel you need more food

7. Make sure you are fueling properly when in your training sessions.

8. Still hungry? Pay rent for whining

Send all complaints to the administator of the facility to the address below:

Gabi K9
3546 Who Cares Dr.
Stop Whining, AZ 85552

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:

Agree with this totally

+1

Myfitnesspal (or any similar app) that helps you count calories is the way to go. It teaches you about portion control, and how much you really should be eating on a regular basis. I used a similar app (LoseIt!) to shed a bunch of weight and liked how it promoted healthy eating habits going forward in terms of portion etc. instead of following a diet which will cause you to gain it all back as soon as you go off it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This- and know how much you burn.
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy. Calories in<Calories out.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
best advice ive seen....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any day now Slowman is going to tell us how to lose 10 pounds in a day. It is what we all voted for.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every "what do I eat to lose weight" thread I've ever seen, since Al Gore invented the Internet, has been largely full of foolishness. Until this thread. Is remarkable. I can't hardly believe it. Where's all the talk re. special diets and supplements that obviously violate the laws of thermodynamics? Or the well-thought-out attacks on the laws of thermodynamics that boil down to "well, I don't know about that, but I know what I know"?

I am totally serious. This is weight loss diet total awesomeness. <salute>

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jun 27, 17 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only advice besides using a calorie-counting app still doesn't approach any of the BS that is peddled out there, and most of it comes from ST:

1) Don't drink calories
2) Don't eat after 6 pm
3) Don't eat during a workout that is less than 2 hours
4) HTFU

ETA: don't eat after 6 is early for most people, I get up at 4am for work and I'm in bed by 8. If you go to bed later than that, you can scale it accordingly obviously.
Last edited by: Durhamskier: Jun 27, 17 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Any day now Slowman is going to tell us how to lose 10 pounds in a day. It is what we all voted for.

lol

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Just a few examples of foods I've mostly cut for the OP and everyone else.

Almost all dairy. I still eat greek yogurt a lot. Probably about 1.5 cups / day. But I cut milk almost completely. I used to have 3 glasses of milk / day. That's 300 calories that I can better utilize elsewhere.

I try to lower sugar in everything. That puts more quality calories in my pocket to use other ways.

Snacks....these REALLY add up.

I eat a lot of fat. My general macro break down is under 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat. So it just happens to be almost exactly the recommended daily % per myfitnesspal. That's not on purpose.

I eat lots of coconut oil. Lots of peanut butter. Lots of fruit and veggies. Lots of energy bars (cause I love them). I just eat a lot of nutrient dense food. And feel great doing it. But that big greasy burger or pizza or ice cream now and then still happens. I'm not professional. But I try to eat like one...most of the time :)

This all sounds really ideal and is something I believe in too. What I am wondering is what does a typical day look like for you? Do you have 3 main meals with snacks in between? I assume you still fuel prior to larger workouts? What do your typical primary meals look like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the 1st of March this year I weighed192 lbs. This morning I am 167lbs. My target is 154lbs.

For me too it is all about the calorie count. With the help of aerobike on ST I worked out I needed to eat about 1500 cal/day plus exercise calories to lose weight quite rapidly. The total works out about 1800/day including workout calories.

To make things easier for myself I broke that down into three meals of 500 cal plus 300 calories of snacks. I'm a creature of habit so I weighed out and calculated 2 breakfasts that were 500 cal and I just eat one of those in the morning. I have 2/3 lunches that are 500 cal and I just eat one of those at lunch. I have 2 snacks that are 100 cal each that I eat during the day. Then in the evening I eat with the family and just have to guesstimate 600 cal. If I'm working a late shift I take a 600 cal dinner with me to work. In the last few months I have felt hungry on a regular basis. Sometimes my 'snack' is a gel half way through my run. I can assure you there isn't a drop of gel left in that pack when I'm done! ;-) Once in a while when I get fed up of being hungry I have a big meal and a dessert and make sure I feel nice and full. The next day I'm back on the money.

So another vote for 'its all about the calorie count'. If you need any more convincing then look up ST's Rob Gray and find his weight loss diet of ice cream, cake and beer.

My best guess as to why folks struggle to lose weight is they can't be bothered to weigh out food and accurately calculate the calorie content because it's a bit of a pain in the ass. And nobody likes to feel hungry because, well, it's just not nice. If you can master both of those things you shouldn't have any problem losing weight.

Will
Last edited by: Barlow: Jun 28, 17 0:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are at 4% BF? wow. Thats a really low % to be holding permanently. I'd be worried about going much below 10%. What is the climate like where you live?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
T.Skelton wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
T.Skelton wrote:

Nope....but I can just continue to copy their process....if it works...but it sounds like it is nothing earth shattering of a "diet"
That's the whole point. There is no earth shattering diet so stop looking for one!

Anything that says it's an earth shattering diet is a lie, and quite possibly a con. If you want to improve health and reduce weight there is no secret solution, but there is a well known one that works reliably. Eat higher quality food and eat less. The reason the world is full of stupid pseudo science "diets" is that this can be hard to do consistently and it's not exciting. But it works - IF YOU DO IT.
I'd suggest named "diets" are a serious cause of obesity in the developed world, not a solution to it. Instead of believing the simple truth that they are eating too much food, many people believe, either consciously or sub-consciously, the lie that they just haven't found the secret diet yet. It becomes an excuse and a fantasy. It distracts from the simple truth.
Quote Reply
Re: Core Diet for Weight Loss [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
And nobody likes to feel hungry because, well, it's just not nice. If you can master both of those things you shouldn't have any problem losing weight.

Will

That's the real issue for me, feeling hungry. I just cant handle it, its all consuming. I guess some people just have this physiological response a bit stronger than others.

Are there foods that suppress the production of Ghrelin?
Quote Reply

Prev Next