Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cord-cutters. How are you watching the Olympics
Quote | Reply
I don't have cable, but I would like to watch the Olympics. I did some Googling, but I didn't find anything definitive. We have Roku and Chrome stick if that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Cord-cutters. How are you watching the Olympics [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I don't have cable, but I would like to watch the Olympics. I did some Googling, but I didn't find anything definitive. We have Roku and Chrome stick if that helps.

Antenna gets NBC and CBC. A VPN and finding the official broadcasters in other countries will take care of the rest.

Quote Reply
Re: Cord-cutters. How are you watching the Olympics [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Youtube TV

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have DirectTV Now and an antenna.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Feb 4, 18 19:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High-Def signal from a $30 antenna taped to the wall behind my TV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hulu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Youtube TV, it's only $35 a month with unlimited DVR

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you have an antenna thus you can get NBC for free over the air.

There are pay streaming services that have NBCSports that will get you the expanded coverage on your Roku. Hulu TV [you'd want Hulu Live TV, not the regular Hulu], Sling TV (blue package) and YouTube TV come to mind. One of these will get you 95% back to what you had with cable but they cost money ($25-$40/mo). But, they have 1 week free trials. You can rotate your free trials and get yourself though the entire Olympics.
Last edited by: STP: Feb 5, 18 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

local IPTV for 15$ a month you get it all via android box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$30 HD antenna. We get about 5 usable channels... one will show the Olympics (just like one showed the Super Bowl yesterday).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Befriend someone who has cable and mooch their credentials to watch on demand on the NBC app.
Quote Reply
Re: Cord-cutters. How are you watching the Olympics [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been cable free for 5 years and I am constantly shocked at how many people I talk to who have had cable their whole lives and do not seem to realize that network TV is still broadcast over the air.

Assuming you do not live way out in the sticks, you do not need cable to get full 24/7 access to your local NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and PBS channels (and their sub stations). It is all in HD and assuming you are getting a good signal, it can even be a higher quality picture than you get with cable as the cable signal is often compressed.

Granted I live in a big city so YRMV but I get 25 channels with a $15 antenna.
Quote Reply
Re: Cord-cutters. How are you watching the Olympics [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our local cable company has a roku app with a basic cable channel with a low fee. I'm not sure whether it counts as cutting the cord or not, but it works pretty well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cord-cutters. How are you watching the Olympics [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am definitely out in the sticks - and the handful of channels we get via HD antenna come in at way better quality than they ever did on the crappy analog cable that's available out here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the middle of metro Phoenix and no free over t he air TV. I tried with a digital aerial but no luck. Could be the mountains around my neighborhood. I am using youtube TV. Seems like a good product.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Assuming you do not live way out in the sticks, you do not need cable to get full 24/7 access to your local NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and PBS channels (and their sub stations).

This is highly dependent on where you live even if you live in a populated metro area. We're in The Woodlands (large Houston suburb) and are unable to get reliable over-the-air signals. I've tried many times and while we can consistently get several Spanish and (I think) Vietnamese stations we can get local ABC and NBC about 20% of the time. CBS we can't get at all but we can get the CBS station out of College Station (75'ish miles away) about 50% of the time but with lots of status and freezes. We finally gave up and are now using Hulu Live TV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

I'm using Youtube TV. Watched the superbowl on it last night.
Quote Reply
Re: Cord-cutters. How are you watching the Olympics [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My little square antenna taped up on thew wall behind the TV does great in my local (I can literally see 2/3rds of the TV towers in for the Detroit area out my family room window).

But if I dropped $75 on a roof mounted antenna I could get the CBC from Windsor. When we dropped cable, I was seriously thinking about doing the big antenna solely to get the CBC Olympic coverage which is about 1000x better than NBC. But I kept putting it off and now I am not doing that work in the winter so I am stuck with NBC for another Olympics. Maybe for Tokyo 2020 ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CBC in Canada. Gotta love nationalized TV. Can stream it all online. Absolutely brilliant coverage.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
I've been cable free for 5 years and I am constantly shocked at how many people I talk to who have had cable their whole lives and do not seem to realize that network TV is still broadcast over the air.

Assuming you do not live way out in the sticks, you do not need cable to get full 24/7 access to your local NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and PBS channels (and their sub stations). It is all in HD and assuming you are getting a good signal, it can even be a higher quality picture than you get with cable as the cable signal is often compressed.

Granted I live in a big city so YRMV but I get 25 channels with a $15 antenna.

Ditto.

However, NBC broadcast coverage of olympics sucks. Very limited in what the show. And often rebroadcast crap I couldn’t care less about.

And you can only watch on demand on their app if you have a cable (or other) subscription.
Quote Reply
Re: Cord-cutters. How are you watching the Olympics [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
Assuming you do not live way out in the sticks, you do not need cable to get full 24/7 access to your local NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and PBS channels (and their sub stations).

This is highly dependent on where you live even if you live in a populated metro area. We're in The Woodlands (large Houston suburb) and are unable to get reliable over-the-air signals. I've tried many times and while we can consistently get several Spanish and (I think) Vietnamese stations we can get local ABC and NBC about 20% of the time. CBS we can't get at all but we can get the CBS station out of College Station (75'ish miles away) about 50% of the time but with lots of status and freezes. We finally gave up and are now using Hulu Live TV.

Same here. All 4 of the major broadcast channels have antennas within 14 miles of me. But due to line of sight issues, I can only get ABC and FOX. Too many tall buildings between myself and the NBC/CBS antennas.

But FOX and CBS come in at full 1080p through the antenna, where my local cable carrier compresses them down to 720p. So the OTA channels come out a lot clearer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

I don't believe they do not offer a pay package. I would not mind paying a fee to watch, like I do for NBCSportsGold Cycling Pass. Now I will just have to watch for free.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this drives me crazy every Olympics.. broadcast TV has good production values but is infested with brainless NBC commenters, also tends to OD on figure skating etc. The only way to watch NBC streaming is with a cable subscription, the cable subscription comes with riders, limitations, and minimum contracts, ending up at hundreds of dollars.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/watch-live
Q: What is required for access to view "Live Streaming" video content?
A: You can access live streams of EVERY NBC Olympics event by authenticating with a cable, satellite or telco TV subscription through your service provider.

I'd happily pay up to $50 to get access to the archived streams but that is never available..

The streaming services aren't clear if they actually include all the Olympic coverage or only some subset.
https://www.cnet.com/...-to-stream-and-more/
"All five offer NBC, but you'll need to make sure that the service offers a live feed of NBC and not just on-demand content in your area. And you'll need to check if NBC's cable channels are included."
This information isn't easily found on any of the streaming service websites.
Broadcast NBC will certainly be included but broadcast NBC isn't great coverage.
So I guess it will be free trials of the streaming services and experiment to see which has coverage of the fringe sports that I like to watch..
seems like a market failure here.
Most likely I won't take the time to figure it out, and will just grumble my way through broadcast NBC..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might not help you, but others looking for this: active, reserve, and retirees military can stream via NBC for free
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/11/08/nbc-olympics-pyeongchang-military-programming/
This is how I watched for Rio and it was pretty reliable. Clunky the first time or two because I didn't have/know my Exchange online account password (because who buys things online from the exchange?) but it felt good to know I was 100% legally watching the Olympics without paying for it.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a small tip that i learned recently as i live a ways from the broadcast stations. Get the antenna outside of your house preferably the roof is that along will increase your signal 50%+ even without amplifiers. What i did was simply used the dish satellite bracket and coax cable and mounted an antenna on my room with no new cabling required. I get all local stations crystal clear.

We do use sling during college football season but cancel come January.
Quote Reply

Prev Next