Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cool New Tube: Tubolito
Quote | Reply
Don't ask why I keep finding products with weird names lol:
http://www.tubolito.com/

They claim to be 65% lighter than a normal tube and they claim to be "more elastic" than butyl tubes as well. I'm curious to see what that means for crr. In any event they can roll up pretty compact for a flat kit. That's a road tube to the right of the scale. I think that's a 29er tube on the scale.

Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's 35g (and $45) for the road tubes. I'm guessing the polymer they are using won't be very supple and will have a high CRR (so slower overall), similar to the old polyurethane tubes. The compact size and low weight might make these a good option for race flat kits though.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weightweenie in me is interested in these tubes. This is some of the marketingblurp I found in a bikerumor article. If true, it looks very promising!

"They say they’re a lot tougher, so they’ll last longer bouncing around your seat pack or backpack, too, but are also more impervious to punctures and pinches. They’re 2x more elastic, and can withstand 2x higher forces before breaking. They also don’t lose air like a latex tube. Construction is seamless, and the material is less grippy than rubber, so should flex more easily inside the tire better, reducing rolling resistance. So, you’re getting the weight savings with virtually no downside."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How sad is it that, because of Halo and Maurten, when I first saw this thread title (before the name of the starter) I assumed it was another shill?

Interested to see if anyone buys and tries them.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As soon as they're available I'll pick one up. If TomA is willing, I'll send it his way first for crr testing. There's a tacit claim of lower crr than butyl but somehow I doubt these will replace latex tubes. tl;dr: I'll probably put one of these in my race day flat kit for the sake of saving weight and space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
As soon as they're available I'll pick one up. If TomA is willing, I'll send it his way first for crr testing. There's a tacit claim of lower crr than butyl but somehow I doubt these will replace latex tubes. tl;dr: I'll probably put one of these in my race day flat kit for the sake of saving weight and space.

Sure, I'll test one...but, I've heard some of these claims before, like the Panaracer R'Air (which was only slightly faster than a butyl tube)...so, "the proof of the pudding is in the tasting" :-)

But, depending on how they measured it, if it's 2X as "elastic" (and the important figure here is known as "resilience %") as butyl, then it's effect on Crr should be closer to latex (but not quite the same) than to butyl...we'll just have to see :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Sure, I'll test one...but, I've heard some of these claims before, like the Panaracer R'Air (which was only slightly faster than a butyl tube)...so, "the proof of the pudding is in the tasting" :-)

But, depending on how they measured it, if it's 2X as "elastic" (and the important figure here is known as "resilience %") as butyl, then it's effect on Crr should be closer to latex (but not quite the same) than to butyl...we'll just have to see :-)

If it is even "on par" with good butyl, that's worth knowing for a variety of reasons. Including, yes, smaller flat kits.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Interesting. PM me your address and I'll set a reminder to send you one once Tubolito makes them available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan on trying these. Rotational weight is much more important to eliminate than weight anywhere else on the bike. This might be enough for me to switch from tubulars to clinchers for my race wheels. I have to try them first though.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
I plan on trying these. Rotational weight is much more important to eliminate than weight anywhere else on the bike. This might be enough for me to switch from tubulars to clinchers for my race wheels. I have to try them first though.

Not really...the performance effects of "rotational weight" on a bicycle are highly over-rated, especially when considered as a percentage of overall mass and inertia.

I don't even consider tire or tube weights as a separate factor in selection. It's just not even on the radar as far as performance properties go.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just received a few from road tubolitos from Germany. I'm running relatively new latex and new tires so I'm not "needing" to swap them out any time soon, though I threw one and a patch in my saddle bag. Interested to learn if anyone has used them yet. If so, impression of ride quality/deformation over tarmac.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [SomeGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it have a removable valve core? I think I’m going to get one of these for race day flat kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SomeGuy wrote:
Just received a few from road tubolitos from Germany. I'm running relatively new latex and new tires so I'm not "needing" to swap them out any time soon, though I threw one and a patch in my saddle bag. Interested to learn if anyone has used them yet. If so, impression of ride quality/deformation over tarmac.

Hopefully mine will arrive in the next few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long did it take to arrive? I’m interested in getting a couple but curious how long to expect for shipping.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, removeable valve core, but the stem is not metal. I added some white plumber's thread sealant tape to be sure it held air (I do that with metal stems as well, FWIW). Looks as if you could crack the valve stem if you overtighten the core.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [officespaced] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty fast. I looked at all the distributors and found the best price from bike-components.de I ordered on May 10th and they arrived a few days ago with the cheapest DHL shipping option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Hopefully mine will arrive in the next few days.

¡I'd love to hear your experience after you get a few rides on them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried these tubes?
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [coolny29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on these tubes? Struggling to get latex from my local bike shops however they are all starting to stock these?
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fairwheel bikes has them in stock in multiple sizes. I haven't seen any testing on their rolling resistance claims. My interest in these was as a lightweight and compact spare tube for gravel events.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/tubolito/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
officespaced wrote:
Fairwheel bikes has them in stock in multiple sizes. I haven't seen any testing on their rolling resistance claims. My interest in these was as a lightweight and compact spare tube for gravel events.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/tubolito/
They were half price at worlds this year so I picked one up to test, but I haven't had a chance to do it yet. Will try to fit it in soon. Even if they test well, they are ridiculously expensive, so can't imagine it being much of a go to option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are rolling resistance test results on their homepage. According to their tests rolling resistance is better than good butyl tubes but inverior to latex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any updated experience with Tubolito? Particularly with their standard road tube, but also interested in the MTB and gravel variants. I'm intrigued by the claims of lighter weight, better puncture resistance, and improved rolling resistance over butyl tubes. I like to carry two spare tubes and really like the idea of more compact spare tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are comparable (from the data shared with me paid for by somebody else) to a light butyl tube which makes them fractionally better than a heavy butyl tube, but far from a latex tube.

I recommend using these as your spare as 2 of them will fit in the space of 1 butyl tube which seems like the perfect use for them.

Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Cool New Tube: Tubolito [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that for the "normal" or "lightweight" variant?
Quote Reply

Prev Next