Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cool GCN Video with Prototype Tech from Taipei
Quote | Reply

Two things stood out to me: the new Culprit aero stem (and the aero road bar looks reasonably slick too) and the continuous filament wound wheels made by Vemn (sp?).

The Culprit aero stem will be a nice addition to the market, maybe Josh can come on here and comment. I saw some prototype photos of it a while back and, IIRC, there was talk of the stem being able to hide an eTap blip box. It appears the core of the stem is made of aluminum which is something I like. Nothing against carbon fiber but my $0.02 is that it's easier for a small shop to put out a safe product in aluminum than carbon fiber.

The continuous filament wound wheels from Vemn look incredibly slick. No idea whether or not they're aero... if I had to bet I'd say they're probably on par with something from Zipp/HED from 5-6 years ago (so not bad).... but it's mind blowing to me that they can use that process to make a wheel. Should result in a much lighter, stronger, and cheaper wheel though something tells me it will be disc brake only.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool GCN Video with Prototype Tech from Taipei [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The continuous filament wound wheels from Vemn look incredibly slick. No idea whether or not they're aero... if I had to bet I'd say they're probably on par with something from Zipp/HED from 5-6 years ago (so not bad).... but it's mind blowing to me that they can use that process to make a wheel. Should result in a much lighter, stronger, and cheaper wheel though something tells me it will be disc brake only.

Profile Design carbon rims are filament wound, have been since 2012. They just haven't done a very good job of letting people know. The tyre interface is machined post mould
Quote Reply
Re: Cool GCN Video with Prototype Tech from Taipei [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Profile Design carbon rims are filament wound, have been since 2012. They just haven't done a very good job of letting people know. The tyre interface is machined post mould

Really?! Anywhere I could read about that (not doubting you, just genuinely interested to read about it). Seems like that would be *the* way to make a cf rim.

BikeRadar has some more pics up of the Culprit aero stem and aero road bars. The aerobar portion is actually really slick as it appears to replace the (structural) face of the stem rather than bolt to the bars. I've to to say, I'm tempted to get one for my Shiv when it comes out... though I'm not sure I could get low enough to match my TT fit (but for training purposes being 1" high up front wouldn't be the end of the world).
http://www.bikeradar.com/...rt-ops-system-49489/

Quote Reply
Re: Cool GCN Video with Prototype Tech from Taipei [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to see more details on the tilt adjustment on the aerobars. The way I think it works makes it seem like it's pretty likely to slip but I'm sure there's more to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool GCN Video with Prototype Tech from Taipei [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man I know I saw detailed photos of the tilt mechanism elsewhere but I can't find them now :( If you're thinking it's a simple friction hold or detent that's not it. How can I describe it... ugh, words fail me now. Let's put it this way: the steel on the screws would have to shear/fail in order for the tilt mechanism to fail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FSE has wheels out with the filament winding. Cyclingtips.com just had a big article about them.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool GCN Video with Prototype Tech from Taipei [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tilt is an overlap of materials with bolts pulling them together.

We are currently still testing version one but have applied patents for 4 ways to make the same concept. so will keep testing them til we get the desired results

Products won't release til we are satisfied they pass the battery of testing we will put them through.

As the bikeradar article said, we are doing some modification to the tilt and will re test it when its ready.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The aerobar portion is actually really slick as it appears to replace the (structural) face of the stem rather than bolt to the bars. I've to to say, I'm tempted to get one for my Shiv when it comes out... though I'm not sure I could get low enough to match my TT fit (but for training purposes being 1" high up front wouldn't be the end of the world).
http://www.bikeradar.com/...rt-ops-system-49489/

Yeah, I have that concept to attach the aerobars to the stem face plate with my OVAL shorty bar on my road bike.....old technology. Done before.
Not sure I would be comfortable with a real aero bar on the stem...levers and such.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool GCN Video with Prototype Tech from Taipei [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it's "levered" through the stem no matter what....

If you attach normal clip-on bars to a round base bar the force is transmitted through the bar to the stem via the interface between the base bar and the stem.
Quote Reply