Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Convicted Doper Online Listing
Quote | Reply
From a Competitor article:

"Road Race Management has created the first online, publicly searchable listing of both current and past road racing and track and field athletes convicted of failing a drug test."

If you want can read the full article at http://running.competitor.com/...#TDh2DygSzd2akj1V.99

The website RRM has created http://www.dopingsanctions.com/ will allow anyone to search and find current or retired dopers that may be racing in either road running or track and field events. According to the article, their motivation was to create a list so that race directors would have a comprehensive tool at their disposal so they can decide who to invite to their events if they have a policy of not inviting convicted dopers.

Interesting.

Have at it Slowtwitchers.....Thoughts?

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like this idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good but we can also run a search here on ST and find out if they are even suspected of doping.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bravo.

It might be appropriate to provide some detail (PEDs, excessive over-the-counter, clenbuterol from meat contamination, etc.). But they are cheaters. Let them pay the price.
Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be everyone....
Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
Bravo.

It might be appropriate to provide some detail (PEDs, excessive over-the-counter, clenbuterol from meat contamination, etc.). But they are cheaters. Let them pay the price.

According to the article that will be included:

"Details include the athlete’s name, nationality, date of infraction, type of offense, start and ending date of the ban, a graph showing how much of the ban has been served and notes regarding the specifics of the ban."

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The list is incomplete......there is a few people missing and I didn't even get off the first page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate dopers as much as the next guy but it really doesn't help me to know if I'm racing against a convicted doper.

If they are cleared to compete, get into a race that I'm doing and finish ahead of me then no matter how much whining I do they still beat me.

Perhaps it will give others the excuse they need or piece of mind knowing they did the best they could.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it. The primary function of this will be shame, but that's no small thing. Shame is a massively powerful human emotion.

Time to ban the drug cheats entirely, and let us concentrate on putting extra buoyancy into our wetsuits.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I hate dopers as much as the next guy but it really doesn't help me to know if I'm racing against a convicted doper.

If they are cleared to compete, get into a race that I'm doing and finish ahead of me then no matter how much whining I do they still beat me.

Perhaps it will give others the excuse they need or piece of mind knowing they did the best they could.

jaretj

I have been thinking about what I personally feel about it and I find myself leaning towards your point of view. As you pointed out, if we race an ex doper who is cleared to compete, there is nothing we can do about it. If I lose that sucks. But I am not going to start searching for an excuse other than I just didn't have it that day.

In the big picture I think it could be good to help prevent doping/cheating. I hope with lists like this being published it will make someone think twice before making the decision to dope and cheat.

Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Hate is an effective motivating tool for me.

If they are cleared to compete, get into a race that I'm doing, and I bit, scratch, and claw to finish ahead of them, then I get to taunt them in obscenely unsportsmanlike fashion at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where's Kevin Moats? Are they not including age groupers?
Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

So, what sports are these? I did not see nina krafts name either.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's pretty much meaningless. it's athletics, i.e., track and field. and it's all athletes. so that includes randy barnes, lifetime ban, given in 1989, shot putter.

an ACTUAL list that might make some sense is all U.S. cyclists, distance runners, swimmers, triathletes on suspension, including age group athletes. that might be a helpful list, and not hard to compile and maintain.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
monty wrote:

So, what sports are these? I did not see nina krafts name either.

This particular list managed by RRM is just for Road running and track and field

Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it's pretty much meaningless. it's athletics, i.e., track and field. and it's all athletes. so that includes randy barnes, lifetime ban, given in 1989, shot putter.

an ACTUAL list that might make some sense is all U.S. cyclists, distance runners, swimmers, triathletes on suspension, including age group athletes. that might be a helpful list, and not hard to compile and maintain.

Slowman,

I was hoping someone would say that when I decided to open the discussion on the article. That was the first thing that I thought when reading it. As mentioned earlier, while it won't do anything to people currently convicted of doping as far as getting back to racing if they are allowed, I feel such a comprehensive list of endurance sports cheats would go a long way towards cleaning up sport. As someone pointed out, shame is a powerful human emotion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
honestly, the list shouldn't be worldwide dopers in T&F. it should be U.S.-based bad actors, including dopers in all endurance sports and the serial course cutters. they wreak almost as much havoc as do the dopers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be easier to just make a list of those who haven't faced doping allegations?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Mr. October [ In reply to ]
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to just make a list of those who haven't faced doping allegations?

With today's internet age and anyone able to make baseless allegations just because they got beat, you may be onto something........

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a pretty complete list of professional world wide cyclists:

http://www.dopeology.org/

H
Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
clenbuterol from meat contamination.
That's what they all say ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Convicted Doper Online Listing [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
This is a pretty complete list of professional world wide cyclists:

http://www.dopeology.org/

H

Thanks Herbert!

Now if we can just get a general list for all of endurance sports! I am not sure exactly how many convicted dopers switch endurance sports after conviction, but it seems like a pretty high number.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several of those folks on that list who now compete in triathlon, and others who have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Slowman,

I was hoping someone would say that when I decided to open the discussion on the article. That was the first thing that I thought when reading it. As mentioned earlier, while it won't do anything to people currently convicted of doping as far as getting back to racing if they are allowed, I feel such a comprehensive list of endurance sports cheats would go a long way towards cleaning up sport. As someone pointed out, shame is a powerful human emotion.

I think you are over-estimating how much people actually care about doping outside of our little communities. Think about it, if I am an age-grouper and I dope and get caught, what would I care? My primary job is something else and this is not a criminal conviction. One might ask why an age-grouper would care enough to dope in the first place but that is beside the point. For the pros, everyone knows who these people are, it isn't really a surprise. In ball sports practically everyone takes something that would be found on the USADA list (that list includes drugs that aren't PEDs) and believe me, the average football fan could give rip. Hell, if Lance had been a nicer guy people would have quickly forgiven him based on his charity work and bringing so much positive (before the PED scandal) attention to the sport. Hell, people outside the community have largely have forgiven him, and still think he won all of those TDFs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next