Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Converting from SRAM Red to eTap Aero or full conversion to Di2
Quote | Reply
I currently ride with SRAM Red on my Plasma and am considering a switch to the eTap Aero setup. Anyone have any advice as to what components I need to purchase for this? Also would it be more economical to just witch fully to Di2. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Converting from SRAM Red to eTap Aero or full conversion to Di2 [GwennyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your Red crankset 10 or 11 speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Converting from SRAM Red to eTap Aero or full conversion to Di2 [GwennyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sell the SRAM aero TT groupset... this is what you'd need.

http://www.slanecycles.com/sram-red-etap-aero-upgrade-kit-p-28382.html?language=en&currency=USD&fo_c=322&fo_k=a35770d1d46d9681b9791dafb6e0e022&fo_s=gplaus&gclid=COul1vzVztECFcaEswodXrIFBw

I'm assuming you have 11 speed already.
Last edited by: xeon: Jan 19, 17 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Converting from SRAM Red to eTap Aero or full conversion to Di2 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had eTap Aero on my P5 for about 10 months (less two months while I awaited replacement of the blipbox, which failed after about 8 months). It's a nice system, and (barring component failures) works extremely well. I would not say that it offers better shifting than the mechanical Dura-Ace gears that were on the bike before.
At the moment the transmission is eTap front and rear mechs with blips on the basebars and clics on the extensions (clics need to be bought separately). I have an Ultegra cassette, a KMC chain and a Campag Record chainset. The eTap Aero group I bought had front and rear mechs, blip box, 2 sets of blips, USB charger and a USB stick for firmware updates (and a loads of fittings). Oh, and brake cables. Setup is very straightforward.

Robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, so now you'd need to add an 11 speed cassette and chain since you're also moving from a 10 to 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting from SRAM Red to eTap Aero or full conversion to Di2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may also need to upgrade your freehub body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be able to do Ultegra Di2 cheaper than etap - not sure as I'm not current on the street prices of Di2. But, you will need to use the specific Di2 brake levers since they have the shift buttons built in (unless you don't care about shifting from the base bar but that's a main benefit of electronic shifting), won't have the flexibility of virtually unlimited placement of shift buttons on the both the base bar and extensions that you'd get with eTap, and would need to consider mounting locations and wiring logistics for the Di2 battery. The eTap aero upgrade kit is a nice package that includes what you need aside from a new 11spd chain and cassette, which you'd need with Di2 also. Do some shopping around. I got the etap aero upgrade kit for $1250 from my local shop and a fried sourced it online for about $1200. There is no reason you can't keep your Red calipers and cranks even if you decide to do Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a pretty full analysis of this, btw, probably still on the front page. Both etap and di2, what you need, cost, performance.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply