Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Converting PlanetX 10 speed to 11 speed question
Quote | Reply
I'm about to buy some 2nd hand PX wheels that are 10 speed to go on my 11 speed Time Machine. Worst case scenario I'll adjust it so it just runs 10 speed, but would prefer to stick an 11 speed cassette on it. As far as I know, it's a Novatech hub. What are my options? File down the splines? New 11 speed freehub, would that fit? Or a 1 piece 11 speed cassette that will fit on a 10 speed freehub body, as below? TIA

https://www.edco.ch/en/products/components/cassettes

edco’s Monoblock is, in a word, a piece of art: a single-piece cassette exquisitely machined from a solid block of cold-forged chromoly steel – then heat-treated, tumble-finished, and electroplated for added durability and low-friction operation. Shifting ramps and profiled teeth provide smooth and consistent shifts; its honeycomb design allows for maximum material removal while maintaining strength. Have a set of 10-speed wheels that you’d like to use with a new 11-speed group set? Monoblock’s design allows for engagement on a 10-speed freehub body. Just purchase and install edco’s 11-speed Monoblock cassette and our optional Ten+Eleven lock ring.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting PlanetX 10 speed to 11 speed question [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are many stories that the Monoblock cassettes do not shift properly.

You could take an 11 speed cassette and machine off 1.8mm from the bottom of the large cog.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Jul 1, 17 18:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure of the exact details for you PX wheels, but I did something similar with my 10 spd HED Jet 9 wheels. Replaced the freehub, and then just got my wheel re-dished and trued at a shop. It was pretty easy, but HED made it easier by offering the 11spd freehub on their website. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I 'converted' a set of Planet X 50's from 10 speed to 11 speed with just a file, there is enough material on the inner-side of the freehub that it can be removed and no issue with the cassette making contact with the wheel or with the RD coming close to the spokes. It was easy and took ~20 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting PlanetX 10 speed to 11 speed question [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tylerwal wrote:
I 'converted' a set of Planet X 50's from 10 speed to 11 speed with just a file, there is enough material on the inner-side of the freehub that it can be removed and no issue with the cassette making contact with the wheel or with the RD coming close to the spokes. It was easy and took ~20 minutes.

How clean and even does the filing need to be? I would have thought if you didn't get it completely even the whole way round, the cassette would be wonky? I can't imagine I'd do a great job with a file.

Planets do have an 11 speed hub that will go on my wheel, but not available till end August. Aus$80.

Time being I'm running 10 speed on my 11 speed BMC. I'm kinda thinking I just leave it 10 speed. Do I need 11 gears? All the races I do from sprint to full IM are virtually all flat. I reckon I use about 3 gears in a 70.3 race and the granny gear never gets used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What model Novatec hub is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a few options, but I too have read of cases of poor shifting with the edco cassette.

But we have a brief write-up of some good and great options here:
http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Hope that helps!

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That end of the cassette is a block of cogs instead of individual cogs so when you tighten the cassette lockring down, it shouldn't be an issue if you file down the ridges reasonably well. Mine is certainly not machine-shop quality and I've had no issue.
Quote Reply