Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Convenient post workout protein
Quote | Reply
I tend to not eat after a workout because it isn't convenient. However, I know that I am supposed to, and that may be the reason I get sick easily (not recovering properly). I am generally too busy after a workout to eat a meal. For example, after today's swim, I ran several errands so it was a couple hours before I could get home to eat.
So I am wondering, what does everyone do for a post workout snack to get a little protein? What is non-perishable without a ton of sugar that I could keep in the car or my desk for after a workout?
Last edited by: happyscientist: Apr 15, 17 23:26
Quote Reply
Re: Convenient pot workout protein [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can of tuna? You get the packs that come with crackers. (I've never eaten this myself but have seen others eating it.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to keep some things on hand in my office like peanuts/nuts, jerky and home made protein bars. I have found that having those on hand in my office help a ton. Not to mention I can curb a lot of other splurge eats eating those instead of the mounds of sugar people tend to leave in the work room.

Try having a protein shake ready to go and just add water to it after you work out. Yeah it might not be the tastiest but certainly get your protein in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The moment when you realize this discussion has nothing to do with pot.

:)

#postworkout
Quote Reply
Re: Convenient pot workout protein [TeamTarrant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamTarrant wrote:
The moment when you realize this discussion has nothing to do with pot.

:)

#postworkout
Damn it. That was one heck of a typo.
Quote Reply
Re: Convenient post workout protein [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second nuts. Similar to you there is little down time in my world right now and a handful or two of post workout nuts seems to go a long way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Quest bars and a banana for quick post workout nutrition. Plenty of protein and carbs for immediate glycogen replenishment, but probably also good to have a full meal later.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Convenient post workout protein [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post workout or recoevery drinks. No its not REAL food but If your looking for somthing to put into you system thats fast and convenient , thats it. They have everything and more that is critical for replenishment and recovery. Usually just a scoop in 8-12 oz of water. Doent get any easier than that. Ive been using MHP's "dark matter " for the last 2years , good stuff but my vitamin shop has been out of stock for a wile. Gonna try Myogenix "aftershock" the serving size it a bit larger but it contains more suppliments. I usually follow up with a real meal about an hr 1/2 or so after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whey protein isolate is my go-to choice. It's a high-quality (optimal amino acid profile), quickly absorbed protein. Depending on how intense the workout was and whether I'm also concerned with replenishing glycogen, I'll mix it with either lowfat milk or lowfat chocolate milk. But for a lower-calorie, carb-free solution (or if you can't keep the pre-mixed shake in some sort of cooler), mixing it with water is OK (not as tasty, though).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might just end up trying to keep nuts around to snack on. I don't really like them so there's no danger of over-indulging. Somehow, I can't get behind the idea of mixes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing if you don't like nuts you probably aren't a big fan of seeds either? Tuna cans have already been suggested, great source of protein but a bit smelly/messy if you're in an office environment. Peanut butter and some crackers? Hard boiled eggs are pretty cheap and easy if you have access to a fridge. I also like those instant porridge pots where you just add hot water , there's a bit of protein in there and they're good for filling you up.

I'm not a big fan of mixes either but do tend to keep a few protein bars in my desk drawer for pure long-lasting convenience. You can also make your own bars but most recipes are nut- and or whey-based so that may not help you much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing with peanuts is that (like most plant based food) it doesn't have all the essential amino acids by itself. So you want to combine it with other food that fill those gaps. Grain is the common one you hear about combined with peanuts. My guess is that if you are eating the protein in a post workout window for specific reasons then you'd want to combine within that same window.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shaker bottle of milk in a small cooler with an ice pack, and 2 scoops of whey protein in a ziploc. Just blend it when you're ready.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I might just end up trying to keep nuts around to snack on. I don't really like them so there's no danger of over-indulging. Somehow, I can't get behind the idea of mixes.
I don't know why people think nuts are such a great source of protein, they're really not. I guess the choices are limited for vegans, but for the rest of us there are better options. I'm not saying nuts are unhealthy or bad, they're just not a particularly good way to get your protein. Not only are they not complete proteins, but they have more fat than protein.

Just for example, an ounce of almonds gets you 6g of protein out of 170 calories, while a scoop of whey isolate gets you 24g of protein from 110 calories. Nothing wrong with the healthy fats in the almonds, but if your goal is to get a quick hit of protein after a workout the whey isolate makes a lot more sense (and it's a complete protein with the optimal amino acid profile for muscle protein synthesis).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I (or my wife...who am I kidding, its almost always here) boils a bunch of eggs at the start of the day. I take a few still in shell and put them in a zip log bag and take them to work so that I can eat right after workouts. It takes me just as much time to peel it as open an energy bar and this is the best soluble protein for the human to absorb. They just stay in the zip loc in my backpack and come out when I need to eat them. Add an apple on the side and that's enough to hold me over till a real meal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanson brand chicken breast pop top can. no tuna-like stink, enough salt to satisfy, way better than the more expensive brands as it's always nice and moist.
Or, a bottle of Ensure, extra protein version, im partial to strawberry.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Convenient post workout protein [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A cup of Greek yogurt. By itself, 140 calories and 14g of protein. Sometime with some blueberries and granola, and it's perfect. Wash it down with banana and water.

Take a shower and then prep for whatever main course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peanut butter on a banana. Sugar, fat, proteins.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Convenient post workout protein [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it isn't complete protein. Peanut butter and wholewheat bread are complete together. So a peanut butter and banana sandwich is a better plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I tend to not eat after a workout because it isn't convenient. However, I know that I am supposed to, and that may be the reason I get sick easily (not recovering properly). I am generally too busy after a workout to eat a meal. For example, after today's swim, I ran several errands so it was a couple hours before I could get home to eat.
So I am wondering, what does everyone do for a post workout snack to get a little protein? What is non-perishable without a ton of sugar that I could keep in the car or my desk for after a workout?

I keep a 5 lb container of whey at home and at work and use an amino acid / BCAA mix in my bottle(s) when training or cycling. I also keep a 30 to 40 gram dry powder in shaker bottle with a separate water bottle to mix following long courses on the weekends for the drive home and it buys me some time to put away gear and get cleaned up before eating a solid meal.

My work or weekday schedule M-F
Strength training 5 am - BCAA drink
Meal #1 - 30gr whey protein / 2 cups of oatmeal
Meal #2 - 24gr whey protein / protein and carb bar
Meal #3 - 30gr chicken breast / pasta veggie mix
Meal #4 - 24gm whey protein / 1/2 cup apple sauce
Endurance training 5 pm - BCAA drink
Meal #5 - 30gr meat (chicken or beef) with veggies and complex carb dinner
Pre bedtime snack - small amount of almonds and pecans

Saturday and Sunday is a little different because of the longer courses on the bike.

Not proclaiming others do this routine, but since you asked :-). I was a former successful bodybuilder years ago so I've been in this routine for many years and added cycling training in 2004. In my competitive days I was taking in closer to 2grm protein / kg of lean mass. Now at 53 and training in strength and endurance for my own brand of crossfit this still works well for my recovery.

Today's form of whey protein mixes with water so well in comparison to the 80's when it was about like drinking chalk.
When I helped others back in the day with training for competition trying to get people to get into a consistent meal schedule was the hardest to convince them, but once they started eating consistently we started seeing an acceleration in progress. Most of the time anyway. Endurance sport is tougher because being lighter is beneficial in a number of ways so it is challenging. However, it seems like small frequent meals and being consistent day to day would still be effective.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Apr 17, 17 4:25
Quote Reply
Re: Convenient post workout protein [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure exactly what is missing from my diet; I generally try to base my diet on produce and fill in everything around it (not vegetarian, I just have a hard time controlling my weight, so I eat a lot of fruit and veggies). Anytime I really ramp up my training, though, I tend to get sick. I mentioned this to my coach, and he said that it was typically due to people not eating right, especially after a workout, but that he isn't a sports nutritionist. Historically, I haven't eaten after a workout unless it was really long because I am overweight--a middle age woman who is 5'4" doesn't need as much as you younger guys who are six inches taller. The odd thing is that since I have started eating something, even if it is simply a banana, after working out that I have been losing weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
The odd thing is that since I have started eating something, even if it is simply a banana, after working out that I have been losing weight.

I've seen the same sort of thing with myself as well as my wife and chalk it up to the post workout feed preventing us from being absolutely ravenous later in the day and then vastly over eating. For me controlling appetite is of ultimate importance as I can easily eat more calories than I burn any day of the week.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I am not sure exactly what is missing from my diet; I generally try to base my diet on produce and fill in everything around it (not vegetarian, I just have a hard time controlling my weight, so I eat a lot of fruit and veggies). Anytime I really ramp up my training, though, I tend to get sick. I mentioned this to my coach, and he said that it was typically due to people not eating right, especially after a workout, but that he isn't a sports nutritionist. Historically, I haven't eaten after a workout unless it was really long because I am overweight--a middle age woman who is 5'4" doesn't need as much as you younger guys who are six inches taller. The odd thing is that since I have started eating something, even if it is simply a banana, after working out that I have been losing weight.

Of the guys and gals that I have helped in the past it was always the females that proved to be the most challenging to work on the nutrition side. My wife, though she does use whey protein powder daily, still does not take in enough protein for how she trains. She is also focused on fruits and veggies, but trying to convince her that she needs to be consistent with protein intake (I am not even pushing her to take in very much) is very difficult. My guess is that she is below 100 grams of protein per day.

For either gender I take a different approach than the highlighted and typically look at a base daily protein intake and then build around that depending on the goal. Then begin to make tweaks as needed in the following weeks also based on goals. But protein is something that I tend to keep stable day to day in my diet and in those that I have helped in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few slices of lean turkey sandwich meat.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Convenient post workout protein [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

Of the guys and gals that I have helped in the past it was always the females that proved to be the most challenging to work on the nutrition side. My wife, though she does use whey protein powder daily, still does not take in enough protein for how she trains. She is also focused on fruits and veggies, but trying to convince her that she needs to be consistent with protein intake (I am not even pushing her to take in very much) is very difficult. My guess is that she is below 100 grams of protein per day.

For either gender I take a different approach than the highlighted and typically look at a base daily protein intake and then build around that depending on the goal. Then begin to make tweaks as needed in the following weeks also based on goals. But protein is something that I tend to keep stable day to day in my diet and in those that I have helped in training.

There are probably quite a few days when I am below 100 g/day. I did have homemade granola for breakfast so that included pecans and milk, and I had a turkey sandwich for lunch, but I don't know that I will have much more with dinner.

I do notice that I am now seeing ads for recovery drinks on my screen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next