Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cbs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still working out the kinks with my Wahoo, finally got the wattage to be more realistic after a calibration.

However, Zwift is presenting a whole new set of challenges.

One ride it has mimicked the hills by auto adjusting the resistance, etc, which was really cool. Since then, I haven't been able to get it to work. I did a ride yesterday where I was having to hammer in order to bust out sub par watts. I've never put out that much effort for such little output, knowing my average output, something was definitely wrong.

I guess I will just have to re-calibrate before every ride since it is so inconsistent. When not paired to Zwift and paired to the Wahoo app, it seems to adjust resistance/desired modes pretty well.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B3CK wrote:
I'm still working out the kinks with my Wahoo, finally got the wattage to be more realistic after a calibration.

One ride it has mimicked the hills by auto adjusting the resistance, etc, which was really cool. Since then, I haven't been able to get it to work. I did a ride yesterday where I was having to hammer in order to bust out sub par watts. I've never put out that much effort for such little output, knowing my average output, something was definitely wrong.

I guess I will just have to re-calibrate before every ride since it is so inconsistent. When not paired to Zwift and paired to the Wahoo app, it seems to adjust resistance/desired modes pretty well.

Sounds like you may be having Sim mode issues. Some people have to use the wahoo app to cycle off and back onto SIM mode while on zwift if the resistence adjustments stop working. Also you can look at your zwift log file - in document/zwift/logs to see if the kicker is connecting in sim mode. Log will have a line like the below. Also - zwift had an ant+ bug they fixed last week but I don't know if it is fixed on the Apple stuff yet. Are you running windows or apple? If apple it may be the the zwift ant+ bug still.

[15:05:32] ANT : KICKR Setting Sim Mode

[15:05:32] ANT : Setting Sim mode
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cbs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try the resistance toggling.

Yesterdays ride was almost like it was on a set resistance. For example, when using the Wahoo app, I'll put it on, 20%-25% resistance for a ride. Seemed like that stayed on during the Zwift ride yesterday and had to ride a much lower gear to function.

I'm running Apple, it just did an update yesterday, not sure if that hurt/helped.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [CZS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CZS wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
CZS wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
Yes, our control or offset works with their new firmware.

I think that's what you're asking, if I missed it please let me know.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

What I'd like to do is turn off the the option to link the Kickr and PM in the Wahoo app and instead rely on TR to control the Kickr using data from the PM. My question is, does TR still do this seamlessly if both the Kickr and PM are paired, or do I need to do adjust a setting in TR?

Ah! I got it. There's a setting under profile in the desktop app in the beta. You'll need to make sure that's on for it to work.

This would be the "Use power from electronic trainer" option, correct?

So, checked = Kickr power reported/recorded, non checked = paired power meter controls kickr?

It's a different version of the software. You can get the latest beta here: http://www.trainerroad.com/install/beta.

You should choose "Use power meter to control electronic trainer". TR will output your power meter's power but constantly try to adjust an offset so that your kickr sets the correct amount of resistance.

If you find that this doesn't work well for you (you have to have a steady cadence, no switching from 110 to 60 to 110 to 60 over and over) you can just apply a constant offset to your trainer.

So if you know your power meter is always 20 watts low, you can just set a 20 watt offset to your trainer to bring up the power.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbs78 wrote:
B3CK wrote:

Sounds like you may be having Sim mode issues. Some people have to use the wahoo app to cycle off and back onto SIM mode while on zwift if the resistence adjustments stop working. Also you can look at your zwift log file - in document/zwift/logs to see if the kicker is connecting in sim mode. Log will have a line like the below. Also - zwift had an ant+ bug they fixed last week but I don't know if it is fixed on the Apple stuff yet. Are you running windows or apple? If apple it may be the the zwift ant+ bug still.

We had this exact problem with Tour de Giro.

The kickr stops responding to resistance-change ANT+ commands, but it keeps responding as if it is being successful. Our first attempt at fixing it was to have the app reconnect to the kickr every 20-30 minutes, but that'd cause 2-3 seconds of zero-resistance, which angered users as well. Hearing that Zwift is having it as well tells me that it is a kickr problem and not a TdG problem.

For those on Zwift, I have a question: does your kickr read super-high when you hit the bottom of a hill? I always found the thing would record an immense power spike as the flywheel decelerated at the bottom of a hill.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: May 26, 15 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
cbs78 wrote:
B3CK wrote:

We had this exact problem with Tour de Giro.

The kickr stops responding to resistance-change ANT+ commands, but it keeps responding as if it is being successful. Our first attempt at fixing it was to have the app reconnect to the kickr every 20-30 minutes, but that'd cause 2-3 seconds of zero-resistance, which angered users as well. Hearing that Zwift is having it as well tells me that it is a kickr problem and not a TdG problem.

For those on Zwift, I have a question: does your kickr read super-high when you hit the bottom of a hill? I always found the thing would record an immense power spike as the flywheel decelerated at the bottom of a hill.

Yes - Art - Going into a hill when the resistance increases but before wheel speed drops you get an artificial spike in power. I also see the opposite over the top. I can slam gears over the hill out of the saddle and power will still drop to < 300 until wheel speed is increased.

I haven't done Kickr on TDG yet because races are few and far between this time of year but I look forward to TDG on the kickr as well.

I'm hoping all 3rd party apps eventually have an option to read a PM and control a sim trainer together. OR - Wahoo to figure out how to correct this little nuance. Overall the experience on the kickr is great. It just has a few characteristics that aren't perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate - Is the beta version the only one that is lining up the Kickr with the PM? I don't have the Beta installed but my power numbers are very close. Come to think of it I'm using the PM control option on the kickr too so I don't know if TR is doing any syncing for me or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
CZS wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
CZS wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
Yes, our control or offset works with their new firmware.

I think that's what you're asking, if I missed it please let me know.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

What I'd like to do is turn off the the option to link the Kickr and PM in the Wahoo app and instead rely on TR to control the Kickr using data from the PM. My question is, does TR still do this seamlessly if both the Kickr and PM are paired, or do I need to do adjust a setting in TR?

Ah! I got it. There's a setting under profile in the desktop app in the beta. You'll need to make sure that's on for it to work.

This would be the "Use power from electronic trainer" option, correct?

So, checked = Kickr power reported/recorded, non checked = paired power meter controls kickr?

It's a different version of the software. You can get the latest beta here: http://www.trainerroad.com/install/beta.

You should choose "Use power meter to control electronic trainer". TR will output your power meter's power but constantly try to adjust an offset so that your kickr sets the correct amount of resistance.

If you find that this doesn't work well for you (you have to have a steady cadence, no switching from 110 to 60 to 110 to 60 over and over) you can just apply a constant offset to your trainer.

So if you know your power meter is always 20 watts low, you can just set a 20 watt offset to your trainer to bring up the power.

Gotcha! That's the piece I was missing. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbs78 wrote:
Nate - Is the beta version the only one that is lining up the Kickr with the PM? I don't have the Beta installed but my power numbers are very close. Come to think of it I'm using the PM control option on the kickr too so I don't know if TR is doing any syncing for me or not.

Yes, only the beta has it. You might just be lucky and your kickr lines up with your PM naturally :). It does for me. I have to put in a bad calibration in my quarq to do any testing if I want my quarq and kickr not to read the same number.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Last edited by: Nate Pearson: May 26, 15 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,

When I have it setup that way the KICKR cycles from increased resistance to lower resistance. The average comes out correct but during the interval it varies by 10-15 watts around to mean.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
Nate,

When I have it setup that way the KICKR cycles from increased resistance to lower resistance. The average comes out correct but during the interval it varies by 10-15 watts around to mean.

Thanks

You might want to just set a constant offset then. So if you know your power meter always runs 20 watts lower than your kickr give your kickr a +20 offset.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [CZS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CZS wrote:
cbs78 wrote:
CZS wrote:
cbs78 wrote:
CZS wrote:

Is this still an automatic/seamless process in the newest firmware (1.3.32)? I'd like to disable the setting in the Wahoo app so I can get Zwift working correctly, but want to make sure it's being managed in TR.

Can you share your zwift problem? I rode zwift with the PM plugged in the wahoo app and by the end of the 2nd lap my power numbers where way low on the Kickr. I shut off the PM info in wahoo during the ride and everything seemed to work great after that. Just curious if you are seeing the same thing. I just turn on the PM stuff in the wahoo app when I want to do ERG mode. Otherwise I will leave it off. Over about a dozen zwift rides my Kickr ranges from 5-10 avg watts higher then my stages PM. That is an acceptable margin for me.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same behavior in Zwift. Having the Kickr and PM paired in the Wahoo app seems to cause the reported power to be WAY low in Zwift. I don't really have an explanation for why this is happening, but at this point, I think the best option would be to allow TR to control the Kickr through the power reported by the PM instead of the wahoo app doing it at the firmware level. Supposedly Zwift is planning to implement a similar functionality down the road, but for now I think I can live with the Kickr overstating my power *a bit* in Zwift

I am expecting this is a Kickr bug. I don't believe they have perfected the offsetting/syncing up the power while in Sim mode. Knowing you are seeing similar problems I'm going to submit a ticket with Wahoo.

Awesome, keep us posted!

Response from Wahoo -

Thank you for the response. Now, I understand the issue you are describing. I will pass this along to our engineering team. At this time, I do not recommend using the power meter tracking functionality with SIM mode. I know the development of this functionality focused on using it with ERG mode only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, I think setting a constant offset would go a long way toward solving my problems (at least my indoor cycling problems). I have read the thread, but must have missed it -- how do I change the offset? Thanks, Perry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbs78 wrote:
CZS wrote:
cbs78 wrote:
CZS wrote:
cbs78 wrote:
CZS wrote:

Is this still an automatic/seamless process in the newest firmware (1.3.32)? I'd like to disable the setting in the Wahoo app so I can get Zwift working correctly, but want to make sure it's being managed in TR.

Can you share your zwift problem? I rode zwift with the PM plugged in the wahoo app and by the end of the 2nd lap my power numbers where way low on the Kickr. I shut off the PM info in wahoo during the ride and everything seemed to work great after that. Just curious if you are seeing the same thing. I just turn on the PM stuff in the wahoo app when I want to do ERG mode. Otherwise I will leave it off. Over about a dozen zwift rides my Kickr ranges from 5-10 avg watts higher then my stages PM. That is an acceptable margin for me.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same behavior in Zwift. Having the Kickr and PM paired in the Wahoo app seems to cause the reported power to be WAY low in Zwift. I don't really have an explanation for why this is happening, but at this point, I think the best option would be to allow TR to control the Kickr through the power reported by the PM instead of the wahoo app doing it at the firmware level. Supposedly Zwift is planning to implement a similar functionality down the road, but for now I think I can live with the Kickr overstating my power *a bit* in Zwift

I am expecting this is a Kickr bug. I don't believe they have perfected the offsetting/syncing up the power while in Sim mode. Knowing you are seeing similar problems I'm going to submit a ticket with Wahoo.

Awesome, keep us posted!

Response from Wahoo -

Thank you for the response. Now, I understand the issue you are describing. I will pass this along to our engineering team. At this time, I do not recommend using the power meter tracking functionality with SIM mode. I know the development of this functionality focused on using it with ERG mode only.

Good to know they're going to work on it. Thanks for the update!
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Pbraun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perry - in the most recent beta (v2.6.98 I believe) you can set a hard offset under the "Profile" tab. This is also the same location where you tell TR to use the power meter to control the electronic trainer.

Pbraun wrote:
Nate, I think setting a constant offset would go a long way toward solving my problems (at least my indoor cycling problems). I have read the thread, but must have missed it -- how do I change the offset? Thanks, Perry
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Pbraun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pbraun wrote:

That choice is in the current beta under profile: http://www.trainerroad.com/install/beta. That beta will be promoted to production next Tuesday.

In the iOS version of the app with constant offset should be released next week. We're currently in review by Apple.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [TankBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Tankboy. I guess I don't have the most recent beta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Nate. I use my ipad for Trainerroad workouts, so I'll wait for the Apple release. Perry
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone on the latest greatest KICKR firmware, 1.1.3.32?

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
Anyone on the latest greatest KICKR firmware, 1.1.3.32?

Yes, without any problems sofar.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap... Flawless. Updated both the Stages and KICKR to the latest greatest firmware. Unchecked the "Use External PM" option in the Wahoo Fitness app and installed the TR Beta on OSX Yosemite.

TR's numbers using the Stages to control the KICKR were 1 watt off Avg Pwr and NP from the Garmin 810 reading directly from the Stages PM.

This is brilliant, thanks Nate and TR for getting this all sorted, thrilled!

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbs78 wrote:
AHare wrote:
cbs78 wrote:

Yes - Art - Going into a hill when the resistance increases but before wheel speed drops you get an artificial spike in power. I also see the opposite over the top. I can slam gears over the hill out of the saddle and power will still drop to < 300 until wheel speed is increased.

I haven't done Kickr on TDG yet because races are few and far between this time of year but I look forward to TDG on the kickr as well.

I'm hoping all 3rd party apps eventually have an option to read a PM and control a sim trainer together. OR - Wahoo to figure out how to correct this little nuance. Overall the experience on the kickr is great. It just has a few characteristics that aren't perfect.

Yes! I wanted to jump on this conversation because I haven't seen this issue mentioned much at all. As far as I can tell, he KICKR seems to completely ignore flywheel acceleration and deceleration in its power numbers. Instead it just seems to be using some kind of speed x resistance formula.This both generates artificial power spikes at the bottom of hills and swallows power at the top. It really is annoying in sim software such as Zwift. It also sucks for racing because you lose the jump in a sprint. Instead of being able to jump into the pedals and generate a power spike, you get slowly rising power as the wheel speed increases and then the power stays higher than it should as you lose strength in your legs and the wheel speed decreases.

I've reported this to Wahoo, but they don't seem to take it seriously (they told me they reported it to the firmware folks, but they haven't heard about the issue from anybody else). I would have thought that they could implement some kind of flywheel energy lookup and just add the difference in energy over the time between samples to each power report. They are doing something akin to this to detect coasting already, but this adjustment is just binary.

This discrepancy is also pretty easy to see when comparing to a crank-based powermeter (I borrowed one since my power meter is a Powertap). The differences in power reported by the KICKR vs. a Quarq deviated by greater than 100 watts in certain conditions (coming into a 10% hill on Zwift). I could see how this would totally break their syncing algorithm when trying to calculate the power meter offset. I imagine this is an issue even in erg mode in workouts that call for cadence changes.

Anyway, it might help if others report this to Wahoo as well. The KICKR has the potential to be nearly a perfect trainer for me. If this bug were fixed I'd be hard-pressed to pick out any flaw.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cwiedmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwiedmann - I should do a YouTube video on this to show what I think is going on. I'll try explain it here first.... let me know if this makes sense for what your seeing.

The Kickr appears to measure power based on the 'stress' put on the inner black disc next to the flywheel. The one that clicks back and forward if you move it with your hand. It is also what they hook the calibration kit up to, to verify the Kickr is calibrated. (Which I'd love to get my hands on!). I assume the black disc has strain gauges, like any normal power meter, I'm not in a position to pull mine apart. :)

My experience with Zwift / power readings are:

- When the flywheel has a ton of inertia (bottom of a hill) and the Kickr engages more resistance as the climb starts, it washes off the speed of the flywheel and the black disc is pushed further forward, thus a higher power number appears. The energy of the flywheel has to go somewhere I guess.

- When you're on a climb and approach a section where the road levels out (or goes downhill) the resistance 'lets go' on the Kickr and the black disc has little force on it, even when you might be smashing the pedals and your SRM/Quarq/Stages are reading high, there is no way you'll get the same reading into the Kickr strain gauges during this time.

This could also explain why the 'jump' in sprints doesn't translate very well. Having to wind up the flywheel to push the strain gauges in the black disc forward isn't as instant as a reading you'd get from a crank power meter.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it's possible that there are strain gauges there. I'd never looked at the calibration procedure video before, and it does seem to imply that. If that's really true, I'm kind of surprised that they didn't measure before the flywheel instead of after.

I do hope they can work around the issue anyway. I'm hoping they're able to come up with an accurate enough estimate of flywheel energy to do the offset. It seems to me that the spindown would generate that data.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling the Kickr via external power meter now possible [cwiedmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think this is an issue as such, it is how the underlying hardware works. If they can build in some kind of software smarts as a workaround to closer match real-world efforts it'd be handy. I won't hold my breath for that though.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next