Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems?
Quote | Reply
In the past I have been very faithful rider of Conti Gatorskins but recently decided to switch and try out the GP4000s IIs. After mounting the tires, I headed off for what was supposed to be a 40 miler only to have two sidewall failures. After the second failure you can see a line where the tread had separated and appeared to be peeling off from the tire below. I was running the tires at 100psi on decent roads and I only weigh 128lbs. I was on pavement only and don't think I hit anything so having both new tires fail was a little baffling. I took the tires back to the LBS and they were great and replaced them on the spot but I don't know how likely I am to have the same issue happen again. Did I just have really bad luck and get a couple defective tires or have others had similar issues with the newer S IIs?

Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [G-Castle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You hit something.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it happened once then I would say yes. But hit something twice five minutes apart that cause the same failure in two different new tires? It wasn't a double blow out it was a front and then later a rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [G-Castle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are cuts not separations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That pressure is a little high for 128lbs, unless it's really smooth roads, but that's not the reason. I'm still having some trouble with mfg. defect, it still looks like road debris slicing the tire. Still looks like it could be road debris. Though I don;t see any other cuts of knicks in the tire. Very interesting. I'll take a close look at mine. I just got another new II and my front tire on my race wheel has about 150 miles on it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I just have a hard time believing that with close to 12,000 miles on the same roads with the Conti Gaterskins on my commuter bike and zero problems that the GP4000s II were build so weakly that they would both fail first time out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flats happen!

There is all kinds of stuff on the road that will cause damage the best tires out there.

FWIW - I've been riding on the Conti 4000s II's now for two years, on our typically lousy roads, even gravel and dirt roads here and there - and no problems at all. I have 700 X 25 on my everyday wheel-set and run them at about 95 psi. Awesome feel and ride.

It's possible that this might have been some form of defect - this is not unheard of for tires, or you just ran over something, even something undetectable, that caused the damage.

You may have just had some bad luck and you might now go 10,000 miles with no problems!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G-Castle wrote:
I guess I just have a hard time believing that with close to 12,000 miles on the same roads with the Conti Gaterskins on my commuter bike and zero problems that the GP4000s II were build so weakly that they would both fail first time out.

you might have hit the same thing with both tires at the same time.

it happens

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This makes sense to me - run over the same thing, but it took a while for the second one to get bad. Unless OP distinctly heard the second one, or stopped after the first. Depends on whether 5 minutes is real time or ride time.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar problem - do they carry any sort of warranty?
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
G-Castle wrote:

you might have hit the same thing with both tires at the same time.

it happens

+1. Especially since both cuts are very similar. One tire got a cut, the 2nd just a glancing blow to the sidewall.

Gatorskins will tolerate some sharp impacts that a GP400S won't.

Luck tend to go this way. I've gone 5k miles or more without a flat and then Bam, 2 just a couple weeks apart.

I went 20 years running hundreds of miles, many of which in the dark. I'm usually good about collapsing my leg on uneven surfaces and stepping in holes I didn;t see, but thsi one time I rolled my ankle bad, really bad, worse I ever had. Swore I heard a pop. Was jsut a mild sprain... but there's a first time for anything. My wife OTOH rolls her ankle at least a couple times a year just walking.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [Weedenft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar problem - do they carry any sort of warranty?

Warranty against running over something that flats your tire? Please don't ask Conti to replace a tire for that...

Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I pay a "premium" price for a product I expect better quality. If there is a pervasive sidewall problem (weakness?) with these tires, the quality is lacking. To me that is warrantable.

If I run over something, my bad. In my case, I don't recall hitting anything (doesn't mean I didn't - but for a sidewall?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a level higher than gatorskin for racing but more durable than the GP4000s - look at Hutchison, Vittoria, or even Bontrager, which I ride. I know some people reflexively buy gatorskins because they fear flats but I fear breaking a tire lever trying to get gatorskin off the rim more than the flat itself. My buddy just put GP4000s on his bike and he was warned that they provide very minimal puncture protection.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [Weedenft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There isn't a pervasive sidewall weakness problem. It is a race tire, a very durable race tire. If they made the sidewall stronger it wouldn't be a race tire anymore, it would be a gatorskin.

Weedenft wrote:
When I pay a "premium" price for a product I expect better quality. If there is a pervasive sidewall problem (weakness?) with these tires, the quality is lacking. To me that is warrantable.

If I run over something, my bad. In my case, I don't recall hitting anything (doesn't mean I didn't - but for a sidewall?).

Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 4000S is more durable than the fast vittorias.
In fact the crr/durability ratio of the 4000S is really really good.

But everything can flat.

patsullivan6630 wrote:
There is a level higher than gatorskin for racing but more durable than the GP4000s - look at Hutchison, Vittoria, or even Bontrager, which I ride. I know some people reflexively buy gatorskins because they fear flats but I fear breaking a tire lever trying to get gatorskin off the rim more than the flat itself. My buddy just put GP4000s on his bike and he was warned that they provide very minimal puncture protection.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The comment about a broken tire lever is a story that happened to me changing a flat on a gatorskin. Most new tires offer a fair amount of flat protection but if you need to resist cuts and nicks I would say that GP4000s is not the appropriate tire. Although, to be fair, they aren't advertised that way. OP tires were certainly cut and nicked from road debris. Many tires in the Bontrager R3 class of tire could withstand that OK and not take the skin off your knuckles when you eventually have to change tubes. I was just pointing out there are more options than just Continental for tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never ever had a flat on a Conti 4000 tire is so many miles. I think the last flat I had was on the older 3000 when running over a nail. Outside of that, I have Conti's on every single road bike for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same thing happen to me years ago. Swore I'd never ride Continental's again. And haven't. I could care less what ST conventional wisdom is. I'm a contrarian anyway. Go get some Michelin PR 3's (or 4's).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sidewalls on all decent tires are fragile. Sharp things can cut them easily. It isn't a quality issue. If you don't like it, then buy tires that have "armored" sidewalls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[

patsullivan6630 wrote:
There is a level higher than gatorskin for racing but more durable than the GP4000s - look at Hutchison, Vittoria, or even Bontrager, which I ride. I know some people reflexively buy gatorskins because they fear flats but I fear breaking a tire lever trying to get gatorskin off the rim more than the flat itself. My buddy just put GP4000s on his bike and "he was warned that they provide very minimal puncture protection". [/quote]

Really.....very minimal puncture protection? If true, would this tire really enjoy the reputation it has and be used by so many? This thread appears to be taking a different slant......and maybe it should. Seems a shame to criticize a good product because someone runs over something. Don't seem to be that many people who have problems. Just add me to the list who has used gp4000s (4 years now) and they have performed flawlessly for me.......no flats, no problems......with both buytl and latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad you have had such a good experience with your tires. Lets start with something we all know, flats aren't really that common, on any tire. The cheapest POS tire on the cheapest road bike is durable enough for most riding. I had one flat on a POS tire, 2 on gatorskins, and zero on my R3s. If you know you are going to ride on less than perfect roads, the GP4000 does not seem like the best choice. The buddy I mentioned already flatted on the GP4000 after...200 miles of riding. It isn't a huge deal, it takes three or four minutes to lazily change a tube. Dial back your defensiveness a little bit, unless you work for or own stock in Continental you shouldn't take it personally that someone merely suggests a product is less than perfect, or that there are competitive products that are as good or better.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also had a poor run with the 4000S IIs. After zero flats in over a year I had 7 in one month on these tires, including at least one on every ride over 75 miles. Now in all fairness the roads in my area are as currently as bad as I have ever seen them, and perhaps I was inflating improperly (110psi...I am ~180lbs), or maybe I just need something more durable for a regular training tire. Its definitely possible that this was just a terrible streak of luck, but I don't think I will ever buy another set of these just based on superstition.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems? [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
I am glad you have had such a good experience with your tires. Lets start with something we all know, flats aren't really that common, on any tire. The cheapest POS tire on the cheapest road bike is durable enough for most riding. I had one flat on a POS tire, 2 on gatorskins, and zero on my R3s. If you know you are going to ride on less than perfect roads, the GP4000 does not seem like the best choice. The buddy I mentioned already flatted on the GP4000 after...200 miles of riding. It isn't a huge deal, it takes three or four minutes to lazily change a tube. Dial back your defensiveness a little bit, unless you work for or own stock in Continental you shouldn't take it personally that someone merely suggests a product is less than perfect, or that there are competitive products that are as good or better.

Pretty much agree, and I should have mentioned that I mostly use my bike with the gp4000s' for races only. Have another bike with Michelin's mostly use for road training. The OP doesn't say how they primarily use the bike/tires.....training only, racing only, or for both......and/or what their #1 priority is with tires......speed or durability. Probably better choices if mostly training on tough roads and need the durability.....but for racing, the gp4000's seem to be a great choice.
And ps.....not an employee or stockholder.
Last edited by: gphin305: Jul 29, 14 17:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weedenft wrote:

The attribute "quality" is going to vary depending on the intended purpose of the tire. If you want good durability then buy Gatorskins. If you want the qualities of a race tire -- low rolling resistance, lighter weight, better aero -- then you're going to necessarily trade off durability.
Quote Reply

Prev Next