Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Connecting Google Maps to Garmin Edge 500
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about doing a very long commute to work now that the weather is warming up. Also just commuting more in general although I don't know the "bike safe" routes where I'm now living (downtown chicago). Using google maps, I can (relatively) quickly figure out "bike safe" routes to get from A to B. I'd like to connect this info to my Edge 500. I realize I can make courses in Garmin Connect, but frankly I find it excruciatingly tedious, since it appears the only way to do this is by clicking the entire route over and over. Also, it would be nice if there were some way to "copy" a route (I couldn't find this either) and then modify it slightly (in the event of a small change in plans or whatever) without having to input the entire route again. Anyhow, just seems that in the year 2013 this should be easy and I'm not finding that to be the case.

also, a bit off topic, but can you wirelessly transmit data to/from the edge 500 using the ant+ stick (don't currently own one). thanks in advance.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Re: Connecting Google Maps to Garmin Edge 500 [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm understanding you correctly, the only way to do what you want is with the Garmin 800/810, as it has maps and navigation.

As to the second question, for the 500/800 you must plug them in via USB. That functionality is part of the 510/810 upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Connecting Google Maps to Garmin Edge 500 [netzer0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i realize the edge 500 is not like say a smart phone--but it would be highly useful as shown in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEM26w0bgg

it will show you where you are and what the next turn is, and tell you if you go the wrong way.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My answers are all based on owning a 500 and living in chicago.

1) It appears you could use something like http://www.cgtk.co.uk/navigation/gpx to convert a google route to gpx (which I believe the 500 supports)

2) I can't imagine using the 500 to navigate a long route (I'm assuming you are commuting out to the 'burbs) or really any route to speak of

3) I think getting a bike mount smartphone case would be the way to go (then just use google maps directly)

4) your ANT+ devices can transmit to (and be recorded by) the 500, but you can't download from the 500 via ANT+
Quote Reply
Re: Connecting Google Maps to Garmin Edge 500 [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah i'm basically looking at going from the south loop to waterfall glenn--through many pretty bad neighborhoods :) but in addition it'd be nice to have some idea of routes if i went north--e.g., to meet up with a training group for a weekend drive. i think google maps w/phone would be pretty worthless since it would tell me to take i-55 for example which is obviously not feasible. any ideas welcome!

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there is an easy way with the edge 500.

The way I do it is to make course in either bikeroutetoaster, mapmyride or garmin connect and convert it to a .crs file in GPSies.com. Then I use Garmin Training Center to put waypoints with symbols and streetnames. Takes about an hour. And yes, it is a pain.

I only do this if I am trying out a new route where I don't know directions. If I get lost, then I have to stop and whip out the iPhone. The edge 500 does not re-calculate.

Also, the ant+ stick is only useful for outputting your sensors to another device. The edge 500 does not have output capability, only receive. It's not like the Garmin 310xt which you can use to connect wirelessly to your computer.
Last edited by: vkw: Mar 10, 13 15:25
Quote Reply
Re: Connecting Google Maps to Garmin Edge 500 [vkw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks much. seemed to me there must be an easier way, but perhaps not. i was thinking i was just missing something here.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use google maps on a smartphone there is an option to set it to car/bus/bike/walk and will give you an appropriate route/bus schedule for where you want to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have an android phone you can do turn-by-turn navigation. you'll just need to buy a handlebar mount so that you can se it clearly.
even with a .gpx course loaded into a garmin 500, the course directions aren't very reliable (it get's thrown off by slight changes in satellite reception)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duffman wrote:
thanks much. seemed to me there must be an easier way, but perhaps not. i was thinking i was just missing something here.

http://www.winthefight.org/cuegle

1. Make your route directly in google maps.
2. Click your cuegle bookmark that will turn it into a cue sheet and/or garmin gpx
3. Export to your Garmin
Quote Reply
Re: Connecting Google Maps to Garmin Edge 500 [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey!

This 'might' not be too much help, as we really built it around the needs of a motorcyclist, but we spent the last couple of years working alongside one of Google's own maps developers to create a
mapping system that:

- Utilises the same Google Maps' interface which many are already familiar with
- Provides a quick & simple Export to GPS function to send your routes to your Garmin/TomTom

Here's the link:

MotoGoLoco Maps

You'll need to create a user account to be able to save routes and then export them onto your GPS, but it's free, takes 30 seconds and I promise not to spam the hell out of your inbox afterwards!!

Hopefully it might help someone out?!

Cheers
Rach @ MotoGoLoco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
use ridewithgps.com, then save it as a gpx, and move it to the garmin via the newfiles folder.