Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Congratulations Michellie Jones!
Quote | Reply
You're world champion again!
1st in the 45-49 AG sprint in Rotterdam this weekend.
I'm sure some will argue she shouldn't race AG but who cares.
She retired a few years ago and is still pretty damn fast.

Coincidently, Brigitte McMahon won her 50-54 AG in the olympic distance event.
A few former pros were also listed in the results.
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Michellie Jones! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
You're world champion again!
1st in the 45-49 AG sprint in Rotterdam this weekend.
I'm sure some will argue she shouldn't race AG but who cares.
She retired a few years ago and is still pretty damn fast.

Coincidently, Brigitte McMahon won her 50-54 AG in the olympic distance event.
A few former pros were also listed in the results.

Super congrats to Michellie. Don't even get me going on Brigitte. She should be banned for life for essentially stealing triathlon's first gold medal, but I know she did her time. Still sucks.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 18, 17 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Michellie Jones! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michellie...L L I E...She's been racing long enough and has won enough that you can spell her name correctly...Paul ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't she technically win twice, in 24hrs. She won the para VI race as a guide, and then backed it up with an AG win in the sprint...
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Michellie Jones! [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't seen that. Pretty cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Michellie...L L I E...She's been racing long enough and has won enough that you can spell her name correctly...Paul ;-)

I am not that much of an IDIOT but my phone is and it hijacked my spelling. Then again, maybe I am an idiot for letting my phone override what I typed! FIXED!

Now can my phone override Brigitte McMahon's result from Sydney 2000 and relegate her to the same category as Sagan from LeTour this summer? Surely if android can override me, they can override Les MacDonald since he is dead now anyway. Come on google, go fix this for us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see her still at it. I met her back in 2001 when she made an appearance for Reebok at the Boston Marathon expo and she was very friendly and down to earth, letting folks try on her Olympic silver medal.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Last edited by: Brian in MA: Sep 18, 17 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And how about Rob Barel, crushed the 60+ and even would have been in a sprint finish with the younger AG. 2;05+ at 60 is sick, but of course a far cry from his mid 1;45+ days... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Michellie Jones! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And how about Rob Barel, crushed the 60+ and even would have been in a sprint finish with the younger AG. 2;05+ at 60 is sick, but of course a far cry from his mid 1;45+ days... (-;

Barel is one of the best age graded triathletes ever!.....the guy has nevery stopped training ore competing and have left all others past and present in his wake....
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Michellie Jones! [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya I think the only AG'er that could give Rob a run would be if Ned Overand decided to do road trips again. But in his mid 60's Ned is still racing in some pro bike races, and even won the first ever Fat Bike nationals, overall!!!

It is very rare that full time old pros have been able to continue non stop to compete and train at such a high level. Besides Ned there is Thurlow Rogers and I can't think of too many others. On another note, I think we would have seen quite a battle in that race if Dale Basceu would not have died. He was a top pro in the 80's who took a 20+year break, and was really honing in on becoming the top 60+ guy here in the US. RIP Dale..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the risk of derailing a thread highlighting (mostly) very welcome results, what is the problem that some people have with ex-pros racing age group?

Isn't that exactly what age groups are for? When you're too old compete against the best, you race against your peers.

Isn't the purpose of an age-group World Champs about finding and recognising the best AG athletes?

Should ex-pros just be required to walk away from the sport they love?

Yes, probably deserves a thread of its own.
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Michellie Jones! [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been debated as nauseum in the past. I just mentioned this to hopefully avoid this. As you rightfully say, age group racing is exactly for athletes who aren't pros. Doesn't mean they are slow. Some folks feel they shouldn't have to compete against for instance Hellriegel or Leder or Zack to get a Kona slot. Or race MJ or Rob Barel (sorry I missed him Monty!) as an age group.
Last edited by: Francois: Sep 19, 17 3:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry. Let's just pretend I didn't comment. Hopefully no one will notice. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep congrats to Michellie. I think it's awesome that she still races.

I was in a very small local race years ago, and passed someone with "Jones" on their trisuit; when I looked - yep it was Michellie! How am I passing a world champ while I'm going 33km/h?

She later passed me back; I thought she must have been joining the race on the multi-lap course from a later wave or something.

I found out later it was Michellie Jones' TWIN SISTER.
Quote Reply