Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Congrats to Slowman! - Triathlete Mag.
Quote | Reply
Just a quite note of congratulations to Dan Empfield for being named, by Triathlete Magzine, one of the 20 most influential people/things/events in our sport.

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Top Twenty Nothin! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's number one in my book.

-Even if he doesn't give out free bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Slowman! - Triathlete Mag. [TonyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed he got beat by "beer" if memory serves me right. That beer is some tough competition I'd say.
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Slowman! - Triathlete Mag. [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, i was a top-20 occurance, sharing the spotlight with "beer," "controversy" and jurgen zack. an august group. i have no quarrel with the company in which i was placed, only humility and gratitude that i made it at all. i will point out, though, that it is not JURGEN ZACK: THE DICTATOR. it is well known in germany that it is JURGEN ZACK: THE CHANCELLOR. that is his knickname.

i also ranked #2 and #3 in the top-20 technovations, and was so-named in the article for those, but there was something else i made that solved a lot more problems for a lot more people than the tri bike. it was also included in the top-20, but i didn't get the credit for it. when i was sitting around with my thumb up my ass all winter long in 1988, trying to figure out how to keep a factory full of wetsuit sewers and gluers busy, this invention (#11) was created out of sheer panic and necessity.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Slowman! - Triathlete Mag. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan - congratulations. On another note, I've mailed you a few times re: the www.digitaltriathlon.com photo you used. I've just mailed again so a reply would be great.

thanks

tim

Tim
blue seventy / nuun / digitaltriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sooooo, What is #11?????

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Slowman! - Triathlete Mag. [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Sooooo, What is #11????? [/reply]

I am not sure but I think it is the neopren saddle cover. I was also on this list and fits Slowmans description.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Slowman! - Triathlete Mag. [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right ON for the saddle cover. I've used them for about 8 years now and can't comprehend why everyone doesn't use them. They are just too comfy for words! 4 out of 5 cyclists in my office now swear by them.

I recently got some "Twinkletoes and love them as well. A full shoe, but not ankle, version would be good as well.

I've had a QR bike, QR wetsuit, saddle cover, twinkletoes and even QR/Desoto race singlet. Damn that Slowman is good!

Three cheers to Dan!

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"QR bike, QR wetsuit, saddle cover, twinkletoes"

about that last item. it's only fair to acknowledge that i "borrowed" the design from kucharik. it's true, i didn't particulary like the way they were making it -- the choice of stitch they employed, the pattern -- but they were the smarty-pantses who came up with the idea and we only deserve the credit for moving their idea along.

but the bike, the wetsuit, the tight-fitting neoprene seat cover, that was all us.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What other products are you dreaming up Dan? I remember something about some ideal armrests for aero bars? Any progress? Aftermarket parts sorta like caps for pickups, but for tri products, that would be a market wouldn't it? Good elbow pads for Brand X aero bars might just be the beginning of an empire.

Surely your creative juices haven't stopped flowing just because you don't have QR any more.

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Surely your creative juices haven't stopped flowing just because you don't have QR any more."

well, there was T1 wetsuits. and the occasional item comes from me, profile's stoker 26 base bar comes to mind. and i work with a variety of companies on an unofficial basis. so i try to keep sharp.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phew!

I thought maybe you had "gone to seed" :-)

TriDork

Quote Reply