Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Confessions of an Aero Disaster
Quote | Reply
Bless me father for I have sinned...

I have a Trek 1.1 road bike with profile design aerobars added. Factory wheels. Normal Bontrager tires and tubes. Cables everywhere.
I have hairy legs.
I have eyebrows and sometimes a nose hair will peak out before I notice and pluck it.
I have 2 bottles and a pump on my down tube and seat tube.
I wear a 910xt on my wrist.
I have a rocket pocket on my top tube.
I keep the caps on my tube stems.
I sometimes wear a sleeveless loose fitting vest that I can hear flapping in the wind.
I wear a Giro Air Attack which (I think) is slightly decent, or at least it is better than my Bontrager Solstice.

I don't have a power meter but do have a Bontrager Node that tracks speed and cadence.

I am a BOP swimmer but getting better, MOP to BOP bike at 19mph for a recent HIM and 18mph for an IM. Above average runner right at 20:00 5K. I'm in the 40-45 AG which seems to have every athletic freak of nature in it so on my best day I'm top-15 AG in a sprint.

I am entering tri for a 3rd season and while I'd like to do this into my 70's who knows how the body holds up.

Here's what I wrestle with when it comes to the bike: Not being douchey saying this, but I am fortunate to be able to financially swing all the gear I want. Why, though, should I go on a buying frenzy? Sure, I am a competitive person, but my swim is so bad I am giving away too much time to ever get it back no matter how fast I bike/run. I am working hard in the pool and have seen great gains but am still very slow. I don't want to switch to du's because I enjoy banging my head against the wall.

Seems to me there's no need to go crazy on the aero stuff and just continue to enjoy racing. Why get a $2K or even a $10K bike if I still suck at swimming?

Then there's the part of me that looks at the results and sees a bike split that doesn't match my fitness relative to other competitors. Not saying I'd suddenly be riding 25mph with some new gear, but I wonder if gear isn't leaving 2-3 mph on the table for me. Perhaps my bike technique is just as crappy as my swim technique and that's why I'm slower? Admittedly, I'm both adult onset swimming and biking.

Instead of having thousands of dollars in bike gear come out to play every once-and-a-while so I can go from top-15 to top-10, why not just continue to improve the swim and, until then, be happy where I am with my bike?

Anyone else struggle with this?
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much the same way here, except I'm 30. I love toys. I want a fancy try bike and all (though my finances are tight).

If I really cared about my tri results I'd swim more than 10x a month and run more than 20 miles per week. Maybe actually use my rollers with trainer road. Train vs aimlessly being active.

Exercise regulates my bipolar disorder better than any combination of medication or therapy I've tried. Tri is just an enforced variety to keep things interestinginteresting, making me more likely to sweat every day. In more likely to buy a nice rowing machine and weights for home than I am to make it to FOP in trip. Which is probably pretty achievable if I take a year to swim every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except for the wheels, it doesn't sound that bad to me. I doubt you are leaving 3 mph out there, that would be a change from your 6h13 to a 5h20 IM split, it would be possible that a full road bike set up to full aero TT set up would save nearly an hour, but with aero helmet and aerobars, I don't see more than 15 minutes being left out there.

Why not get a swim coach if you want to improve and not spend money on the bike? or if you are content as is, then leave it as it is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People buy bikes and kit for all sorts of reasons, not just to be faster. Sometimes it's just nice to own and use a nicely engineered piece of kit. A Ferrari is a fast car, but few people who buy them do so because of it's top speed, for many it's just a beautiful object to own.

I've got. PX Stealth and a Shiv, they go the same speed, but I just like the way the Shiv looks and the way it is engineered far more than the PX. Same with the TriRig stem and brakes it's just a nice piece of engineering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're missiing the entire point of middle aged racing.

You race to justify buying cool gear. You don't buy cool gear to race.

It's the same way you decide which house projects to take on. If it requires a new, kick ass power tool, do it. If it does not require a new tool... Push it down the list.

When I see confused people like this, I just cringe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I am a BOP swimmer but getting better, MOP to BOP bike at 19mph for a recent HIM and 18mph for an IM. Above average runner right at 20:00 5K. I'm in the 40-45 AG which seems to have every athletic freak of nature in it so on my best day I'm top-15 AG in a sprint.

20:00 for a 5K means your FTP on the bike ought to be in the ballpark of just under 4 W/kg. You ought to be going faster on the bike than 18-19 mph. Bike distances are typically 4x longer than the run, so saving 1 sec/km on the bike is roughly like saving 4 sec/km on the run. To put this in perspective, you sound like you could save several secs/km on the bike by cleaning things up and choosing wisely. Some of the things you can do don't cost a lot. You'd have to run 4*several seconds/km faster to make the same difference in total time. Can you run an 18:30 5K without extra effort? Let's say that you can find 4 secs/km in savings. That's 160 seconds over the bike leg of a sprint tri. Suppose you swam exactly as you are now, and ran exactly as you are now, so your overall time decreased by 160 seconds.How far would 160 seconds move you up?

Yes, you should improve your swimming. But you can improve your bike split too. They're not mutually exclusive. You can do both.
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [Goobdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. You gotta love your gear. Sure a shiny bike and sweet wheels aren't going to put OP on the podium, but they look awesome and sound cool!

If you don't sleep beside your bike once a week or so... you need a nicer bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shave (arms, legs, eyebrows), bottle-placement, vest, wheels. There's your order of $$$/aero. You're not wanting for cash, so go out and do them all.

Then more time in the pool.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a fairly aero tri bike (2011 Speed Concept 2.5). My problem is that I'd rather train on my gravel bike because
I can ride it anywhere and it's just plain more comfortable.

My first race will be a sprint in downtown Ft Worth, Texas which has two laps of urban bliss for the bike segment.

I will probably use my gravel bike with my 2nd string aero front wheel and a DIY disc. Last year I used my tri bike and "good" wheels and
felt lucky that my good wheels are still my good wheels.

Using clip ons and an aero helmet I don't see that I'm losing that much time since the course is rather choppy and it's
hard to get into any kind of aero flow.

I'll be sure to be clean shaven and use my nose hair clippers so I'm sure that'll help some.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
I've got a fairly aero tri bike (2011 Speed Concept 2.5). My problem is that I'd rather train on my gravel bike because

My first race will be a sprint in downtown Ft Worth, Texas which has two laps of urban bliss for the bike segment.

I will probably use my gravel bike with my 2nd string aero front wheel and a DIY disc. Last year I used my tri bike and "good" wheels and

Using clip ons and an aero helmet I don't see that I'm losing that much time since the course is rather choppy and it's

I'll be sure to be clean shaven and use my nose hair clippers so I'm sure that'll help some.

Why do people take pride in their sloppiness? "Hey guys, look at me, I'm so cool that I'm choosing to be slower."

The bike and wheels are always aero or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've made an entire tri career out of being a meh swimmer, but killing it on the bike and run.

Aero goodies and good position are "free" speed - once you pay for them.

And they don't even need to cost a ton.
You can get a P2 or equivalent, disk cover, used or less spendy aero F wheel, aero helmet, fast tired and tubes, and with a good position, get to 98-99% of the overall aero of a superbike, without the 5-figure price tag.

Why purposely handicap yourself w poor equipment, when it sounds like you have the means to do something about it?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I resemble that remark...Late onset swimming is a bitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:

20:00 for a 5K means your FTP on the bike ought to be in the ballpark of just under 4 W/kg. You ought to be going faster on the bike than 18-19 mph.

Comparing a 5k run to a 112 mile bike ride in w/kg? Am I missing the pink?
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
RChung wrote:

20:00 for a 5K means your FTP on the bike ought to be in the ballpark of just under 4 W/kg. You ought to be going faster on the bike than 18-19 mph.

Comparing a 5k run to a 112 mile bike ride in w/kg? Am I missing the pink?

It's possible to make a ballpark estimate of FTP from 5K time. People make ballpark estimates of FTP from 20 minute bike efforts. No one does an IM bike leg at FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [applefritterz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applefritterz wrote:

If you don't sleep beside your bike once a week or so... you need a nicer bike.

Relationship Goals
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

Why do people take pride in their sloppiness? "Hey guys, look at me, I'm so cool that I'm choosing to be slower."

I was going to have my gravel bike aero tested but it's not a good idea you're saying?

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
aravilare wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

I was going to have my gravel bike aero tested but it's not a good idea you're saying?

Nope, you should continue wallowing in your ignorance.
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I dont get it either. Causation correlation methinks.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
aravilare wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

Nope, you should continue wallowing in your ignorance.

Seriously? you posted this and are calling somebody ignorant?
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware asking questions about mechanics was on the same level as knowingly using shitty gear when one has better available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends what your aims and goals are really. For me having a faster set up doesn't add to the enjoyment of racing at all and if I was doing it purely for fun I wouldn't spend much on kit at all. But there is no doubt you could go faster with better kit.

If you have some speed targets in mind I'd probably handle it this was. Clean up your current set up as much as you can so you're not leaving too much free speed on the table then set a couple of goals and associate an item to buy or a budget to spend when you've hit that goal.

If you have the cash to spend on go faster bits now it would be fun to apend it all at once but only for a short period of time. Spreading it out over a longer period and associating it with training goals for me would be a whole lot more enjoyable and add extra motivation for training.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
I wasn't aware asking questions about mechanics was on the same level as knowingly using shitty gear when one has better available.

well, that escalated quickly.

to the OP: do what Murphy's Law said. generally a smart move.

where the hell is jackmott? he waits around for these posts just like uncle frank in that movie about the guy.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shaving legs should result in 1/2 m/h faster.
Decent wheels (e.g. disk behind, zipp 808 clincher in front) with good tires (e.g. Conti 4000s2 and latex tubes) will make you about 1 1/2 m/h faster. (The only problem you should check is whether the wheels are not too broad for your current frame).

That is a total of 2 m/h or 30 minutes on an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet the pros aren't faster than 20 years ago. Is there any chance that the differences are being exaggerated?!
Quote Reply
Re: Confessions of an Aero Disaster [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
DJRed wrote:

20:00 for a 5K means your FTP on the bike ought to be in the ballpark of just under 4 W/kg. You ought to be going faster on the bike than 18-19 mph. Bike distances are typically 4x longer than the run, so saving 1 sec/km on the bike is roughly like saving 4 sec/km on the run. To put this in perspective, you sound like you could save several secs/km on the bike by cleaning things up and choosing wisely. Some of the things you can do don't cost a lot. You'd have to run 4*several seconds/km faster to make the same difference in total time. Can you run an 18:30 5K without extra effort? Let's say that you can find 4 secs/km in savings. That's 160 seconds over the bike leg of a sprint tri. Suppose you swam exactly as you are now, and ran exactly as you are now, so your overall time decreased by 160 seconds.How far would 160 seconds move you up?

Yes, you should improve your swimming. But you can improve your bike split too. They're not mutually exclusive. You can do both.

I don't suppose there is summer chart correlating 5k with FTP? I'm interested in comparing my old running times(~16 5k) to cycling goals. What about 16-20 minutes, in 30 sec intervals?
Quote Reply

Prev Next