Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Concussions and minor head bonks
Quote | Reply
In January 2016, after many years of throwing myself down mountains on bikes, my then two-year-old son gave me my first concussion. He was climbing behind me in a chair and whacked the back of his head into the back of mine. He was, miraculously, fine. I was in a bad way for a few weeks, dizzy and foggy, probably exacerbated by the fact that it happened during an incredibly stressful week at home.

About six months later, summer 2016, my wife and I were in bed and our son crawled in. He was wriggling around as he is wont to do and managed to kick me nicely in the head. It wasn't a very hard kick, nor very painful, but I knew right away that it was affecting me in a bad way. I was out of it for the rest of the day and canceled my training for that day. The next day I was fine and trained as usual. About a month after that, I stood up, HARD, into a shelf, and was not myself for four or five days. I got better and finished the cyclocross season.

That is my entire concussion history up until last night. Last night we were playing, my son tripped, and my wife and I bent down to help him up. We gently bonked heads, right on the top of my head. Really no big deal, didn't hurt at all. But as before, I knew I wasn't right. I had to sit down and spent the rest of the night in a pretty sorry state. Today I'm once again feeling normal-ish.

I'm very frustrated because last night shouldn't have resulted in anything other than me saying 'oww' and rubbing my head for a moment. I have no idea how it could have affected me to the extent that it did.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this, where a little knock on the head leads to hours of concussion symptoms?

Thanks,
-Frustrated in the PNW

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Concussions and minor head bonks [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get off the internet.
see a doctor.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Concussions and minor head bonks [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]