Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I would like to know if any of you have purchased and used a Concept 2 Ski Erg. I want to use it for conditioning during some rehab, but it may be good anyway for general aerobic fitness and an option for swim replacement workouts if i can't get to a pool and miss pool hours.

Measures watts too. Looks like a lot of exercises are possible:

Would like to know if any of you have the newer model. Seems like the wall mount version is the way to go. At ~$950 CDN does not seem that bad to add to the pain cave.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jan 31, 16 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: Concept to Ski Ergometer Feedback [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got one and it is a really good training tool. I also know that it is used a lot by many of the Visma Ski Classic racers and they know quite a bit about double poling.
You can use it both to long and easy, and to intervals.
The power meter is a good motivation for intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept to Ski Ergometer Feedback [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. If I go down into a deep squat does it engage my legs like real skiing. Also if I go down on one leg at a time can I get the same leg loading as skate skiing? Did you get the free standing version or the one you bolt to your wall? I technically have room for the free standing version, but the bolt on one looks like it would make the room look less cluttered (as it stands, I have a weight machine, elliptical, computrainer with a bike on it, spin bike and treadmill and a spot for rollers...so the place is already getting a bit out of hand)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also would like to know if you retrofitted it with real ski straps. And I would imagine by attaching paddles, you can do a swim workout too from a standing position if I want to get more specific about swim catch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the free standing one in my garage, but I have space I have now changed the grip, it is the plan.
You can use the Skierg for classic, but I use it mostly for double poling (I should use it more).
You will be able to get really close to regular double poling technique, and you should feel it in your core.

Since there are no safe places to go rollerskiing after dark where I live the Skierg is a good alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I have the free standing one in my garage, but I have space I have now changed the grip, it is the plan.
You can use the Skierg for classic, but I use it mostly for double poling (I should use it more).
You will be able to get really close to regular double poling technique, and you should feel it in your core.

Since there are no safe places to go rollerskiing after dark where I live the Skierg is a good alternative.

How easy is it to get to FTP or even V02max type intervals. I would imagine the sky is the limit with a fan based resistance and it just depends on how fast you spin the thing. Also how noisy is it for people at home. Will the entire house be buzzing if I wall mount?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not rally noisy at all.
You can use it for the same type of training as a treadmill and a bike trainer.
I have done 5x5 minutes intervals and got tired.

The Skierg is a good tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used one of these in the past. I've also thought about buying one and putting vasa paddles on it and using it for a standing fly/freestyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the first model of the SkiErg and it's a very good workout for general conditioning. Very time efficient, good for the aerobic fitness, you work with the upper and lower body, and the power translates quite well to swimming.
There is also another skiing "simulator", Thorax Trainer, which I actually prefer. In both ergomenters the movement looks to be similar at first sight, but in the SkiErg you push downwards while in the ThoraxTrainer you push the poles backwards. So, in the TT, for you to stay in place the core muscles need to make an opposite force to the power you are applying backwards. When you double pole on skis, you slide forward as you push. Now imagine your skis are fixed to the ground, so that when you push the core has to engage or else you fall forward.
Worth having a look. It's a mean machine, it has a deep effect on the body, a 5km all out effort is the closest I've been to hell. It works very well as swim replacement, but what's been the most surprising for me is the gains on the run. A stronger core allows to hold the run form longer and at the latter stages of a triathlon it makes a difference.
Both are good machines, but nothing can replace cross country skiing!!
Quote Reply
Re: Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback [casio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have the original free-standing Concept2 SkiErg for xc ski training and really like it. Evidently Sheila Taormina likes the machine and worked with an outfit at ucanrow2.com to create a Halo type add-on that could be installed on the SkiErg to allow swim workouts. When I talked to the folks at ucanrow2 about it they made the comment that they prefer the original SkiErg to the next generation model but they didn't elaborate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev - best $800 I've ever spent! I love it and done pieces as long as 21K on it. I started dabbling with nordic skiing last year after a lengthy running injury and now use it routinely along with my rollerskis.

Dave in Nordic Virginia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have used one in the past when I hurt my calf and couldn't ski. Works good, would use again if I couldn't ski or swim. When I went back to skiing after using it, my upper body felt stronger.

I would rather do a double pole workout on snow than stand in front of a wall not moving for an hour.

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Re: Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watch world cup videos when I am using the Skierg.
https://www.youtube.com/...assicSkiTrack/videos

Did not bring klister yesterday so I had to use double poling for 27k. I am hurting today.
I have to use my Skierg more I guess :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joshawa wrote:
Have used one in the past when I hurt my calf and couldn't ski. Works good, would use again if I couldn't ski or swim. When I went back to skiing after using it, my upper body felt stronger.

I would rather do a double pole workout on snow than stand in front of a wall not moving for an hour.

I was thinking it might be good to use in the context of my trainer workouts and weights in a circuit rather than continuously staring at the wall. For sure, training outdoors is always more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another alternative is the Bowflex Ultimate 2. The same exercises can be easily accommodated. They can be easily found on the used market for around $400 and you have a full weight machine as well. It is a big step up in quality compared to the earlier Bowflex models. It does take up a fair amount of room, however.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isbr wrote:
Another alternative is the Bowflex Ultimate 2. The same exercises can be easily accommodated.

Ummmmm, no they can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Umm, what am I missing? I can and have replicated all of the exercises shown in the original post on my Bowflex Ultimate 2. I agree that you cannot do the same on the current Bowflex models (extreme, revolution, etc) that is why I bought this model.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
isbr wrote:
Umm, what am I missing? I can and have replicated all of the exercises shown in the original post on my Bowflex Ultimate 2. I agree that you cannot do the same on the current Bowflex models (extreme, revolution, etc) that is why I bought this model.

Using a bowflex is the same as using weight and wire like a pull down. A skierg is more like a bike trainer, it mimics the skiing. You are not just pulling down.

Trust me, they are different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The resistance curve (and lack thereof in the recovery phase) makes an erg very very different
Quote Reply
Re: Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing in the ski erg, during the phase where you are working against the ergometer, in your lower body you are mildly working the eccentric muscles as you go down, but most of the work is from the upper body/abs/psoas major. When you go up to start the next pull, you are basically working all the muscles you would in a body weight squat during the extension phase. So yes, during the recovery phase you are not working your upper body, however you are doing extension phase of a full body weight squat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dev
I have a very close relationship with the USA XC and biathlon squads and can see if they use this for dry land training. I know kikkan was promoting something like these.
Last edited by: Wayne@PolarUSA: Feb 10, 16 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased one in Sept and try to use it daily. I do single arm (like classic), kick double poll, and double poll. I use it with the stand attachment and just like a trainer you can gas yourself real quick. I've done hard intervals and just 60' of easy poling. You can engage your core just like double poling. I would lean towards the stand, so I could watch TV....it would be pretty boring otherwise.

My first birkie is approaching and he have had NO snow so its been my weekly training tool, I drive to find snow on the weekends.

For the birkie skies they had a $50 off coupon in last years race packet.
Quote Reply
Re: Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:
Hi Dev
I have a very close relationship with the USA XC and biathlon squads and can see if they use this for dry land training. I kikkan was promoting something like these.

Noah Hoffman from the U.S. team mentions frequent use of the Concept2 SkiErg in his blog. Central Cross Country Ski Assoc (governing body for Central U.S.) uses it in their program
Last edited by: JimK: Feb 10, 16 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: Concept II Ski Ergometer Feedback [JimK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Concept 2 Triathlon...Simple race - 5k rowing erg, 5k skierg, 5k run.

I'm thinking anything under 1-hour would be a good time. Folks that can go sub 18 minutes in all three events would be exceptional.

Who's in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used one awhile back, wasn't that bad.. built something similar in my basement with a pulley/weight system and it seems like it works decent.. If you don't mind using something homemade I would recommend making something yourself instead of shelling out 1k

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply

Prev Next