Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer Questions
Quote | Reply
I'm recovering from shoulder surgery (12/14), due to a bike crash, last summer. I'm riding 3X/wk on the trainer (1X/wk on computrainer....someone else's).

I'm not sure when I'll be ready to ride on the road again........or, if I even want to. So, I have a couple CT questions.....

1. If I went to Ebay and looked for a unit I could use to train through a late spring 1/2 and a late fall full........which unit would I need to be looking at?

2. What's a reasonable price to pay (for the above)?

3. How does the actual course videos work with the CT program?

4. What could I expect to sell the unit for in a year?

Anything else I need to know? The more I pay attention to what other drivers are doing (phone-related), the less I want to ride on the roads. I'm just weighing my options.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Questions [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look for an 8002 unit and make sure you're getting both the control and resistance unit. Pay about $500. You should be able to sell it for $400 worst case IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Questions [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1^

The course video's are pretty meh, but basically when you load them up your computrainer adjusts itself to the profile to simulate terrain.
The good thing about computrainers is that they are pretty hard to bust and you can buy replacement parts a la carte.
Be aware there was a recall on the blue flywheel. They'll send a replacement for free, but something to know about.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw one in classifieds yesterday that was listed for $450.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

EDIT to add link.
Last edited by: logella: Feb 2, 17 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Look for an 8002 unit and make sure you're getting both the control and resistance unit. Pay about $500. You should be able to sell it for $400 worst case IMO.

For the load generator, the 8001 and 8002 are functionally identical. That is, they're both 1500 watt units, and are interchangeable. Even the Cat 6000 and Cat 8000 (750 watt units) will work, IF you put a 47.41 chipset in the handlebar controller.

For the handlebar controller, the 8001 and 8002 both have a firmware chip, and this chip has many revisions. See my post on the difference chipsets. To work with TrainerRoad and RacerMate One, you'll need the 45.43 chipset ($50 from RacerMate). Almost any chipset will work with PerfPRO Studio. Internally, about the only difference is in the clock chip, but they're functionally identical. The chipset is what makes all the difference. Either buy a handlebar controller with the 45.43 chipset, or make a $50 allowance in price.

Also watch out for the USB to stereo cable. Many earlier CompuTrainers had a cable with the Prolific chipset (Sewell cable) and that won't work in today's computer enviroment. You'll need a cable with an FTDI chipset. A FTDI-chipset from CompuTrainer is $45 or so, and available on eBay for $32. Either buy a CompuTrainer with an FTDI cable or make a $45 allowance in price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Why pay several hundred dollars for a used Computrainer when you can buy a new smart trainer for a similar price?

DC Rainmaker has his trainer review here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...recommendations.html

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Questions [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCR set a $600 target price on Computrainer.

Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Questions [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Why pay several hundred dollars for a used Computrainer when you can buy a new smart trainer for a similar price?

DC Rainmaker has his trainer review here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...recommendations.html

And yep, you can spend the rest of your life asking are the power numbers right. Or updating fw all the time. Or, or, or.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Questions [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you translate your post for me?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think CTs are PC only. So, keep that in mind if you are running a Mac. I have a CT and have gone away from their virtual courses and ride Zwift instead. I use CT's RacerOne software to calibrate the CT before each ride, which is a 10-min warmup. I've had mine since 2009 and it's still going strong. Get a trainer specific tire, inflate to the same psi for every ride and always reduce the wheel tension after the ride.
--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Questions [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my computrainer with a MacBook and Trainer Road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you should know about a lot of the "smart" trainers out there is that they are really inconsistent when it comes to power data. The Kickr Snap is a particularly well-known culprit but if you search around you'll find plenty of cases of the Tacx wheel-on smart trainers having issues with reliable power data as well.

If I were telling a friend to buy a smart trainer, I'd only recommend three: Computrainer, Tacx Neo, and the Elite Drivo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold my Tacx Bushido Smart and bought a CT.

Best thing I ever did.

Once you get over the disappointment of how crap it looks (DIN plugs ffs !!) it's a brilliant piece of kit.

It just works. Every time. No signal drop outs , no spurious power readings - tracks my Quarq pretty much identically.

I built a platform for mine to hide the cables and use the puck cadence sensor so I can take my bike off in 10 seconds.

Use it with RacerMate One and TrainerRoad on a PC. And I've travelled with it using the hand controller which means you can still get a useful workout.

Fashionable ?? No.
Bombproof and accurate ?? Yep.

I've never used a direct drive trainer to be fair but I love my CT !!!!

LG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head unit with 45.43 chipset allows you to use trainer road or Zwift apps and you need the ftdi sub cable $30-50. I had an issue with vibration from my fly wheel being slightly out of balance. They had a recall on the blue ones and replaced them with silver forged ones which I had. I ordered a new one which is machined for $25 and runs nice and smooth. The 3d software is okay kind of like Atari game graphics. I am using Trainer road now.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Questions [tomrob36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking at possibly getting a used CT, and know zip about them.

Can someone tell me what/where/how to look to determine what chipset the unit has? Is it listed on the outside of the unit, or do you need to look inside?

thanks
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Computrainer Questions [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
When you power the unit on, the chipset number flashes on the hand controller.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Questions [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ask before you buy about the controller otherwise that's about $50 to upgrade the chipset.
Quote Reply