Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer Lab vs. Pro
Quote | Reply
I want a GOOD used Computrainer as they are reliable and cheap since they've been discontinued.

What is the difference between Lab and Pro Models?

Thanks for any information.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Lab vs. Pro [mspeas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Functionally, none. And if the load generator has ever been back to RacerMate for a repair or adjustment, the load generator gets calibrated the same as the Lab (no matter what you might read or hear). Now, there are a number of things to look for when buying a used CompuTrainer (such as chipset in the handlebar controller or FTDI chipset in the USB adapter), but that wasn't your question. There are a number of threads on ST about CompuTrainers and versions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mspeas wrote:
I want a GOOD used Computrainer as they are reliable and cheap since they've been discontinued.

What is the difference between Lab and Pro Models?

Thanks for any information.

IIRC the Lab version was initially calibrated to a higher level of guaranteed accuracy. Since calibration can shift over time only a new unit could be counted on. I ran one of the ancient Nintendo versions for over 20 years with not problems. If you keep the sweat off them and don't strip on the cables, Computrainers are pretty darn bullet proof.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer Lab vs. Pro [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have a CT Pro mfg in 2012 so I'm aware of the chipset, Prolific/FTDI, sweat issues. Are there other factors?? I don't care about cadence & heart rate since I use TR and Ergvideo via ANT+ for those.

I just don't know anything re: Pro vs Lab (obviously).

I want a second for my wife and to use for parts, if ever needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 9, a mixture of Lab and Pro (and even two Cat. 6000 as backup, which require a change to the 27.41 chipset to work alongside the 8001 and 8002 units). The athletes in my studio can't tell any differences, and other than the sticker on the load generator and handlebar controller, you can't tell them apart.
Quote Reply