Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer "8001"
Quote | Reply
Someone is selling a computrainer "8001" for $575. Seems like a decent deal I'm just concerned since I know that is an older model from the 2000's. Comes with all the software as well.

Good deal? Or am I better off to buy new for 3x the cost?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer "8001" [Am00re34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on how much use it's seen and if there is any/much rust. Even the old ones tend to last a long time and fundamentally there is nothing wrong with the 8001.

With that being said, a friend of mine picked up a practically brand new one (was used at most 2 or 3 times - it was immaculate) with the climber fork, usb/stereo adapter (new kind) and puck for $575 + shipping off ebay. I think it came to slightly over $600.

Overall anything under $600 is a good deal as long as it includes all the parts. Forget the software though, you will want to use either Ergvideos, TrainerRoad and/or Zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good deal. The 8001 is solid. I have one with Racermate One. Love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using my Computrainer for 7 years and it hasn't had any issues. I use it about 4 days a week, real durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Previous posters are correct in that the load generator is functionally the same between the 8001 and 8002. My concern would be the firmware version in the handlebar controller chip, depending on what software you intend to run (more on this below). Here's a quick rundown on the chipset versions.

Chipset Versions
16.15 – Chipset for Nintendo and Commodore 64
27.41 - Chip reads 23.41 on Handlebar Controller (for 750-watt "Standard" Load Generator with Pro Controller)

25.33 - First PC Chip - did NOT have ERG mode function during PC use.
25.41 – Allowed for ERG function in newly released Coaching Software. CT maintains stand-alone function until a race screen is displayed. Allows stereo cable to remain inserted while doing calibration, except for 3D. Controller displays PRO only when software is running. Alternates display of HR and cadence while running external software.
25.42/25.43 - Mostly changes to do with wireless HR and drag functions.
45.43 – Added Aerodynamic Drag Factor
41.62 - Puck controllers
Note - PC software will not display anything above 40.95 correctly and the RM1 software display this 40.95 value as 45.43 (hard-coded). The short lived 41.62 was not supposed to see the light of day, but did, and will also display as 45.43 in RM1. You can only tell the version using the 4-second start-up display.
35.65 - Puck controller with no earclip HR circuits and embedded Polar HR components previously in the red-lump Polar HR cable.
36.10 - Further modes internal to add better chip and memory.

We run a 5-CompuTrainer studio so I've owned 15-20 CTs over the years. From my experience, most 8001 handlebar controllers had 25.41 or 25.43 firmware chips in them.

If you plan on running RacerMate One or Trainer Road, you'll need the latest 45.43 chip installed in the handlebar controller. Some Trainer Road users have been successful with a different chip, but Trainer Road website says "The handlebar unit should have firmware version 43.45 or newer." (this is actually a typo and they meant 45.43, but they haven't caught on yet). That's a $50 upgrade plus shipping. If you're running legacy CT software, ErgVideo or PerfPRO Studio (what we use most), any chipset seems to work.

One final thing to look out for is the USB to Stereo cable. Many 8001s still had the Prolific chipset in the cable and that won't work. You'll need a USB to Stereo cable with the FTDI chipset. You may get by with the adapter and a new cable ($20 or so) or buy a new one-piece cable from Racermate ($50)

IMO, the load generator is not the issue. It's the handlebar chipset and USB to stereo cable that can add $100 to the purchase price. If you scour Craigslist nationwide using one of the search engines, you'll see lots of CTs for $300-$500. I just bought a 2-year old CT with all the trimmings and RacerMate One software for $200.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer "8001" [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very thorough and helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer "8001" [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asking bc I cannot find this info anywhere online....
Where does the 37.11 chip fall in the progression? What does it add?
I currently have a 25.34 chip. What would I need to use ANT heartrate?
Could I put a 45.43 chip into my controller without trimming pins? Would that add heartrate capability?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer "8001" [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
Asking bc I cannot find this info anywhere online....
Where does the 37.11 chip fall in the progression? What does it add?
I currently have a 25.34 chip. What would I need to use ANT heartrate?
Could I put a 45.43 chip into my controller without trimming pins? Would that add heartrate capability?
Thanks

I can't answer any of your questions but I did just upgrade from 25.33 to a 45.43 and it was an easy drop in. Take out 6 screws, open case, remove old chip, install new chip, put 6 screws back in.

I did this to use Zwift. Works like a champ now.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer "8001" [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW mine has 25.43 and works fine with TR (and using wireless HR).
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer "8001" [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using 25.43 with Zwift just fine. I finally got to talk with Racermate, he did not recommend changing chips.
I'm getting the Racermate One software, so I can use the Garmin ANT stick for hr, and some spare cables to have on hand.
Quote Reply