Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Computers to use with stages PM
Quote | Reply
All...
I have a stages PM (I know I know)....anyways, I have a garmin 920 and like many it's works for shit with the PM. So I'm looking for a bike computer that will communicate with no issues. Any suggestions? Garmin 510, garmin 820, kickr, wait for stages PM....other options?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [Am00re34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have it set up on a road or TT bike?

I found that when set up on the TT bike with a BTA waterbottle (and computer above) it was absolutely shite.

however when it was on my road bike, and it was dry, and the moon was in its first quarter, and I was riding downwind it was slightly less shite :)
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [glorylasts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should edit...I said kickr and I mean wahoo.

Anyways, I have a TT bike and don't have a bottle in the bars, but I do mount the computer (watch in past) between my zero bars.

I love stages response to my issue,,,they actually suggested mounting my watch on the straight bar on the frame. What's the point!? So I can see my power after I'm riding but not during?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used ;

Garmin 510, 520, 810,1000 and currently a 820 with no issues. I however only do sprint tri's.and might eventually do Oly. distance (if my knee holds up)... so no BTA bottle
Last edited by: spntrxi: May 23, 17 21:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had an Edge 500, and currently have a 920XT and a Lezyne Super and have not had any issues with any, except for the battery cover issue that was early on.
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently switched to an Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, and so far no problems. Mounted between the aero bars, although behind my bottle, not in front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 920 and had plenty of drops and then upgraded to the 500. Had minimal drops with that and have since then upgrade to the 520 with no drops. This is since their first shipments.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had a Stages I used a 510 with zero issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you like the bolt? This is one of my top choices at a cost of $249
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Edge 500. It's like the Nokia 3310 of cycling. It'll never fail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Positioning is bigger than computer itself. Garmin 500 on the stem was fine, but on aerobars I got drops, on top of bottle between the arms it was awful. Garmin 510 was fine unless mounted on top of bottle or waaay out front (near hand position) on aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
When I had a Stages I used a 510 with zero issues.

Ditto. My mount is in front of my BTA (still between the bars) and I've had zero issues in 3 HIM's and many training rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an 810 with an Xlab Torpedo with zero issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lezyne. Recent firmware update to "improve indoor trainer functionality" hopefully that means you no longer need speed sensor for indoor trainer rides. Maybe I'll confirm this evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Polar M450, no issues reading the stages, mounted right above the stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my road bike a Garmin 800 mounted on an out front mount gave me dropouts. Moving it to the stem resolved the dropouts.

I've since switched to a Wahoo ELEMNT on an out front mount and have had no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar M450 here mounted on the aerobars for the tt bike and an outfront mount on the road bike. Both work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't use Stages anymore, but when I did I had zero issues with a Garmin 500 or Garmin 520 mounted between my aero bars, out in front of my BTA bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [glorylasts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glorylasts wrote:
do you have it set up on a road or TT bike?

I found that when set up on the TT bike with a BTA waterbottle (and computer above) it was absolutely shite.

however when it was on my road bike, and it was dry, and the moon was in its first quarter, and I was riding downwind it was slightly less shite :)

I think you forgot to add that the dew point needs to be 63* and the humidity needs to be 4.6%. Solar flares also help so make sure you time it to coincide. If there was Elvis sighting in the last 10 days it is a definite GO. Honestly not sure if this should be pink or not.........

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin 500 and a stages. I would not go so far as to recommend you buy a 500 for the connectivity, but I have resolved my dropout issues. I did two things, one is I found a way to mount my computer between my aerobars with a direct line of sight to the stages. I have a BTA bottle but can position the computer where it always has a direct line to the crank.

Second, during my outdoor rides, when I use to get more dropouts, I will disconnect all other paired devices, turn off the 500, then turn it on so the stages is the first thing to connect then connect my other devices (which for me is just my HRM).

Since doing these two things, I have been very happy with my stages and 500.

All that said, I use TrainerRoad indoor via a Bluetooth connection. I have never once dropped out using the bluetooth connection to my phone. This makes me wonder if a computer that supports bluetooth connections would be a better option for a stages than relying on ANT+.
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on the use of the Bluetooth for better reliability than the Ant+ connection. At least that is why I believe the polar 450 has no issues.
Last edited by: heeler50: May 24, 17 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
I have a Garmin 500 and a stages. I would not go so far as to recommend you buy a 500 for the connectivity, but I have resolved my dropout issues. I did two things, one is I found a way to mount my computer between my aerobars with a direct line of sight to the stages. I have a BTA bottle but can position the computer where it always has a direct line to the crank.

Second, during my outdoor rides, when I use to get more dropouts, I will disconnect all other paired devices, turn off the 500, then turn it on so the stages is the first thing to connect then connect my other devices (which for me is just my HRM).

Since doing these two things, I have been very happy with my stages and 500.

All that said, I use TrainerRoad indoor via a Bluetooth connection. I have never once dropped out using the bluetooth connection to my phone. This makes me wonder if a computer that supports bluetooth connections would be a better option for a stages than relying on ANT+.

Ive had the same experience which is why I'm really leaning to the wahoo element. Everyone I've talked to that has that and a stages has had zero problems. Pair that with its $249 price tag and great functionality I think we have a winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Computers to use with stages PM [yonadav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly for me (using a 500), I have dropout problems with it mounted on top of my BTA bottle when I have a full bottle on my seat tube. If I have an empty seat tube bottle, or none at all, I don't have any problems.
When I tweak my cockpit this summer, I'm going to try to find a position with a more direct line of sight, offset from the BTA bottle if possible.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the thing: Everywhere here will give you answers, but honestly, none of them will matter.

Why? Because figuring out what head unit your Stages will work with is about as random as which color M&M you'll pull out of a bag. For some people the Edge 820 will work great (works fine for me with Stages PM). For others, it'll suck. For some the FR920XT will work great, yet for others not in aero position. Or not with a bottle.

There's no power meter on the market that's as finicky as it when it comes to connectivity. And honestly the only answer is to try it out for you and see if it works. Generally speaking non-wearables work better (Edge series), which is mostly a factor of body placement and blocking signals. And generally speaking, most roadies have less issues than triathletes (again, body blocking signal issues).

Said differently: Buy your head unit based on your requirements and likes, and if for some reason it ends up not working - deal with that then. Just ensure you've got a good return option.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next