Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CompuTrainer Advice
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get a used CompuTrainer but I'm curious what I should be looking out for. Are the models that have been known to be problematic? Are older ones (circa 2009) any worse or missing features modern ones have made obsolete? I've been scouring the web for more details but there is a great deal on one in my local classifieds and I don't want to miss out. That being said I also don't want to make a poor investment.

Any insight is welcomed and encouraged.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: CompuTrainer Advice [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Models that you may disregard or hesitate to buy:

1. NES version that has a Nintendo controller. Collectors like it, but the old platform is effectively dead
  2. If it has the grey head controller it is very old, proceed with caution or only proceed if the price is quite low
  3. Some models with the white stand and the 8000 model controller are a bit older and pre-date the Pro models that could create the 1500 watt resistance. These standard models were rated for 750w resistance. Not a limiter for many people, but not ideal for sprint training either.

I've seen very few of these on ebay and elsewhere. Most likely you will find the CT pro or lab models (all new models are lab grade, by the way) and will feature either the blue or red stands that are typically of current (~6 year) sales. One thing to realize is that most used models won't come with the newer RacerMate One software, but it can be bought for around $60 direct from RacerMate. You can still use the older 3D software suite or a variety of third party software.
Quote Reply
Re: CompuTrainer Advice [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much! It's blue in color and has the yellow and black head unit. For $600 I'm questioning what is wrong with it but I asked the seller if it's been serviced or had issues. You're insights are very valuable and I'll be sure to take it all into account.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a fair deal. I bought my last used one for $625 (I own two) and it was a good price, but not so low I felt like I stole something. :) Feel free to PM me with the CL ad and I'm happy to see if anything looks askew, but it sounds like a legit setup.
Quote Reply
Re: CompuTrainer Advice [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can find one for $600, thats a good price. I got one on ebay last month for $925 (free shipping). As mentioned, you will have to buy new software from Racermate or use the old free stuff on their website. The older free software works well and thats what I use. If the seller is saying they are including the new racermate software, be aware that it will NOT work. Like windows, office, and other software, Racermate One uses a license key, so the prior owner already used it up and it will NOT work again. That was a bummer that I did not realize until after I bought my trainer. But then I just downloaded the free software, so that fine.
Then again, you dont even need the computer and software. You can control everything using just the yellow handlebar controller.
There is not much you can "look for". You just have to trust the seller. You could ask them to power it on and show pictures that the trainer and controller work. Double check to make sure all the cables (power and USB or Serial) are included. Not much else to it.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can see it in person that would be best. Mine is over 10 years old and looks like crap but it works great for me.
Quote Reply
Re: CompuTrainer Advice [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there ever discounts from racer on new ones?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Color of the stand is not really a determinant, but more of a clue to what's what. As far as the stand is concerned, they're all essentially the same. So don't fret about the stand. As far as the load generator is concerned, the model 6000 is only rated at 750 watts. The 8001 and 8002 are rated for 1500 watts, and other than a minor resistor change to accommodate (wired) heart rate, the 8001 and 8002 load generators are essentially interchangeable. As far as the handlebar controller is concerned, the model 6000 cannot be connected to a computer (even though there is a plug-in marked "PC". So if you're looking at a model 6000 handlebar controller, it will only function in stand-alone mode. The model 8001 and 80021 handlebar controllers have a replaceable (and upgradable) chip inside, so unless you plug the unit in and read the chip version, you won't know what you have. (version 25.43 is the current version). I wouldn't buy a handlebar controller with a version 16.15, but just remember that a new chip is about $60 with postage if you have to upgrade. Other things to look out for on old CompuTrainers. First, the USB to stereo adapter is likely out of date if the CT is more than 6 years old or so. You MUST use a Racermate-supplied USB to Stereo adapter with FTDI chipset, and there is no alternative or aftermarket version. That's a $45 cable, no way around that. The old cable with the Prolific chipset may or may not connect to your computer, but it won't be stable over the long term.

I have 6 CompuTrainers and 3 backups. I haven't paid more than $600 for any of them.....
Quote Reply
Re: CompuTrainer Advice [abbottj123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abbottj123 wrote:
Then again, you dont even need the computer and software. You can control everything using just the yellow handlebar controller.

He can use our software. If he's going to use workouts only it is free/
-----
Quote Reply