Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Composite vs carbon sole
Quote | Reply
Looking to replace bike shoes and was wondering if anyone can advise. Last year rode in Shimano's cheaper tri shoes has a composite sole. Feels pretty stiff. I'm a bigger guy, race at over 200 lbs, and avg power for a half around 265.

Would I see a difference if I went to a complete carbon sole shoe? Just looking for free watts, if it isn't there I'll just get the same shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
Would I see a difference if I went to a complete carbon sole shoe? Just looking for free watts, if it isn't there I'll just get the same shoe.

Unless you're feeling noticeable deflection of the sole at the ball of your foot I'd bet that there really isn't a measurable gain to be found by switching. If your current shows are comfy I'd stick with them. More expensive shoes with carbon soles are likely to be lighter but it sounds as if you might be able to lose shed a kilo of two for free;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about free watts but I much prefer a stiffer carbon sole. It reduces foot fatigue as it holds the foot better, I ride Bont's and love the bathtub construction of them, really secure and solid basis for power transfer. A stiffer sole does transfer the maximum amount of rider effort into pedalling force. This benefit of increased power transfer has been described as significant by publications but I have yet to see any really good study on it.

There is also a benefit in a reduced stack height as a carbon sole doesn't have to be as thick for the required stiffness.

To me the benefits outweigh the expense but your mileage may vary.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole [Fixie82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
Looking to replace bike shoes and was wondering if anyone can advise. Last year rode in Shimano's cheaper tri shoes has a composite sole. Feels pretty stiff. I'm a bigger guy, race at over 200 lbs, and avg power for a half around 265.

I'm confused as to what the question is.
Carbon fiber shoe sole ARE composite.

A material consisting of two or more separate constituents like resin and fiber amongst others, is what composite means. So "Composite vs carbon sole" doesn't mean much. It's like saying "Dinner vs a meal", one is a subset of the other. It's meaningless without more info.

Carbon fiber means just carbon fibers and a resin.
Composite could mean the same thing, or could mean fiber-glass, kevlar, any combination of the three or there's other materials that could be used.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 sorry I didn't realize I left it that grey.

When I look I feel like I see 2 types of shoes. Those with a complete carbon outsole, and those without. Those without, mainly referes to theirs as a composite, I'm not sure what that means, except something that creates a hard outsole, but isn't complete carbon.

so was just looking to understand the difference and the value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
Ai_1 sorry I didn't realize I left it that grey.

When I look I feel like I see 2 types of shoes. Those with a complete carbon outsole, and those without. Those without, mainly referes to theirs as a composite, I'm not sure what that means, except something that creates a hard outsole, but isn't complete carbon.

so was just looking to understand the difference and the value.
Ah right. I'm not surprised, a lot of terminaology in cycling is far from accurate!
Apologies if I came over as pedantic... but I am! ;p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, so any thoughts or recommendations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's much in it between a very stiff sole and a slightly stiffer sole.
Probably not worth it in my opinion unless there's some other factor like the shoes happen to be a better fit, have a better closure mechanism or come in a nicer colour scheme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon actively kills bacteria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe there's not any real difference, except carbon ones are usually lighter. I'd go for fit and comfort first, then if you have two shoes left to choose from, pic the carbon one over the composite if it's an option.

My most comfortable and therefore best cycling shoes have been a low-end Specialized nylon sole based on their Body Geometry fit. So you can tell it's pretty individual.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Carbon actively kills bacteria.
Pardon?

Do you mean to say a carbon fiber shoe sole kills bacteria within the shoe?
That's a new one on me (are you sure you don't mean silver or maybe carbon in the linings, but even if it's true, are you suggesting a fully carbon fiber sole has this property and a mixed fiber sole, including carbon, does not? That I would certainly not believe in a hurry.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole [Fixie82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is also a benefit in a reduced stack height as a carbon sole doesn't have to be as thick for the required stiffness.

FWIW - This is one of the advantages. Not sure of the bio-mechanical advantages of this, but when you ride in shoes with a thinner sole and lower stack, you feel more connected to the cleat/pedal interface.

Also shoes with true, full carbon fiber soles, tend to run a lot lighter

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I don't think there's much in it between a very stiff sole and a slightly stiffer sole.
Probably not worth it in my opinion unless there's some other factor like the shoes happen to be a better fit, have a better closure mechanism or come in a nicer colour scheme.

Hmmm, yeah. I hadn't thought it through fully before posting the above. While I don't think stiffness is that critical, if there's a significant difference in weight or stack height due to use of a full carbon sole that will make some difference as the last two posters said. Again not huge but possibly worth considering.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Apr 10, 17 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I believe there's not any real difference, except carbon ones are usually lighter. I'd go for fit and comfort first, then if you have two shoes left to choose from, pic the carbon one over the composite if it's an option.

My most comfortable and therefore best cycling shoes have been a low-end Specialized nylon sole based on their Body Geometry fit. So you can tell it's pretty individual.
Appreciate the feedback.
Really enjoy the podcast by the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Appreciate the feedback.
Really enjoy the podcast by the way.

Oh wow, thanks! Next show will be out soon with a review of Apple Airpods and how to keep them from falling out of your ears while running and biking. I mountain biked 1.5 hours with them yesterday and they stayed in using a couple of cheap add-ons. Thanks again!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's very unlikely that you'd find any free watts from a stiffer shoe. Comfort should come first. Ease and speed of entry if you want to do flying starts.
Knowing you have carbon on your feet will make you feel faster đŸ˜‚
Try on a few at a shop rather than buy online.
Quote Reply